• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Wow some great books. Promised someone I'd post my copy of SSWS 154. Picked this up at WonderCon 2006 - definitely the best copy on the floor.

Thanks again to Brent at Quality Comix

thumbsup2.gif

SSWS154.jpg

Nice one!! I think that book is actually much tougher than #151 to find in grade.

Sweet copy.

Shep

Ya I purchased a 151 at the show as well in CGC 9.2. From what I can see, the 154 looks undergraded and the 151 might be accurate of a little over graded. I'm not a crack and resub guy because these like 99% of the books I buy are for my collection, but it was intresting to see the differentiation between the two books in the same grade (according to CGC at least) only 3 issues apart.

Hey all,

Just to add to the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. I went there on the Sunday, and of course all of the really decent HG books were nowhere to be found. yeahok.gif As Shep mentioned, there still were a couple there, but to me, way overpriced. Maybe that's my problem with picking up REALLY NICE material, I don't fork over the REALLY NICE cash for it. I went to every dealer probably 3 times, first time just asking and doing a quick browse of their books. The second time to look a little deeper. And the third time to pick up books that I didn't really want or to see if I could wheel and deal. (That's my favourite part of a show). To be truthful, I'd love to shell out lots of cash for a super-duper copy of G.I. Combat #87, but they're just not out there. Someone out there owns a CGC 8.0 copy of this, and there are most likely better un-slabbed copies around. I don't mind paying well for them, but you cannot buy what you cannot see. Oops, got side-tracked there...back to the convention. I was satisfied with being able to pick up G.I. Combat #68, an important Sgt. Rock prototype, as well as G.I. Combat #56, another Rock prototype. Lower grades, but they will do for now. takeit.gif I also grabbed a CGC 8.5 copy of Star Spangled War Stories #154, origin of the Unknown Soldier. I drool at the pictures posted previously, but when I look at price point, these 8.0's and 8.5's are a great buy. All of you guys with the 9.2's, 9.4's, 9.6's, and OMG 9.8's.... hail.gifit's great to be you! hail.gif Seriously, I know that it'll cost a bunch, but that stuff is the investment material to hang on to. I should follow Shep's lead by looking for more HG raw books, my problem is that half of me still remember's the old grading system and half of me now knows the CGC standards. An old VF/NM is now a F+, and I feel a little bit insecure and unsure of buying raw books...which is an awful shame. confused-smiley-013.gif Ah, next show, that's what I'll do. I'll buy myself a HG raw DC war book and get myself back on track. (Thanks for listening everyone!) 893applaud-thumb.gif

I should follow Shep's lead by looking for more HG raw books...

To wit... some recent raw pickups!

A book I have been looking for, for a long time. This came from Metropolis. Looking 9.0ish.

gic141a.jpg

Great books shep. Did you get the books I sent yet? If not, I'm starting to get worried as I sent them 4-7 day airmail. I have "the last of the good ones" coming in from Ted in the next couple of days(I wanted to pull the trigger on that 151, but...). I'll post 'em soon.

Great books shep. Did you get the books I sent yet? If not, I'm starting to get worried as I sent them 4-7 day airmail. I have "the last of the good ones" coming in from Ted in the next couple of days(I wanted to pull the trigger on that 151, but...). I'll post 'em soon.

Hey John,

I was off work today, but when I checked in, they said I had a package waiting - I'm sure that's it. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Take care,

Shep

From Lonestar comics - nice book, and one I looked for for a long time in grade.

wwt19a.jpg

That 12 and 19 are sweeeet! The reds on that 19 just bleed off the cover.

An old VF/NM is now a F+, and I feel a little bit insecure and unsure of buying raw books..

Well, it's not quite that severe a change. smile.giftongue.gif

yeah, you're probably right, but I'm sure that you all get what I'm saying there...

Those are some fantastic pick ups, I wouldn't feel too bad about that show, Shep. Pretty decent score, if you ask me. 893blahblah.gifmakepoint.gif Yeah, yeah...who's asking me? confused-smiley-013.gif

I found that Ted from Superworld was by far the friendliest dealer there. He loved chatting with me and was very curtious. He was super pleased to hear that he had a decent reputation from our forum here.

I think that I found a book that you may have wanted, Shep, that you missed from Superworld. I'll post a pic shortly....well, tomorrow...lol

Andy

I guess it all depends what $$$ dollars mean for HG. For the record and because I would only sell if I found a nicer raw copy - doubtful. I paid $175 US for my CGC 9.2 SSWS 154. The fact that Tim Hui's 9.4 copy sold for over $500 recently made me feel pretty good about my purchase.

So how much did the 8.5 set you back? I also paid $200 for my 9.2 SSWS #151.

Just trying to judge the market in HG for these books right now.