• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how rare are comics

45 posts in this topic

While I agree with supply and demand and even the completest I still have the feeling that comic collectors are on borrowed time. Say for example that the serious collectors only started in the early sixties, that's 50 odd years ago and they are now the cream of the crop. What happens next, fair enough there are new collectors all the time but is the LOVE there? We grew up on these comics as they were printed well at least in different times and each instalment was worth the wait, Do you think that there is a time limit? I'm asking this question because I have over 5 thousand horror and sci-fi movie magazines and they now seem worthless compared to what I paid during my collecting before Ebay Amazon and such. Vintage horror movies and the people involved are being forgotten day by day except for the baby boomers, could the same happen to comics and their creators. P.S I never bought them for profit only to have a copy.

I have a rare winnie the pooh 22 that was only available in whitman pre-packs. I'd probably have to pay someone to take it.

:takeit: I'll pay you for it.

:takeit: you can pay me to take it

See, there's plenty of people that would let you dump your pooh on them. :banana:

How about some love for the Pooh!

Scan0017_zpsbezucufi.jpg

Scan0018_zpsc4mssj0x.jpg

Supply and demand are affected by:

Significance

rarity

Condition

Desirability

Any three = not worth much. Eg a sgnificant book that is desired and in good condition but not rare, won't be worth much. Rare means more demand than supply. There's a range of rarity. Hulk 181 are not rare per se but the demand far outstrips the supply.

As a basic rule of thumb that's okay except that it doesn't really take into account the differing degrees in each of those elements. If an item has all four to some degree but it's significance level is say 5 or 10 percent I would much rather have an item that has is "shredded or soaked" but has a significance level of 95-100. (even though it theoretically meets only three of the four criteria)

CGC should start puttiing on labels

Rarity -95

Significance -12

Condition - 85 (8.5)

Desirability - 67

etc

They can call it the 'Kav Scale'