• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how rare are comics

45 posts in this topic

I've read continually on this forum that most comics are drek so how rare is an average comic? I recently came across a box of silver and a couple of golden age comics that my brother had in his loft (attic) and I checked Ebay for a value. What surprises me is their worth, on average they were $20 to $70 and in great condition yet I've seen a modern comic going for thousands so how hard is it to get these books. Personally I love comics and the art and to me the older books are a treasure so why are they worth less. If it were up to me I'd rather have a box load of them than one (so called rare) comic from recently. It's not Friday yet I just wanted a little rant, please excuse the fumes.

Just like anything else, price is driven by supply and demand. Sounds basic, and that's because it is. If one really thinks things through and investigates the comic in question on an individual basis, one can probably understand why some comics are worth more, sometimes MUCH more, than others.

Your answer lies therein. Supply and demand. Think on it.

A lot of pricing has to do with how people sell them.

Then you have the actual "rare" books

Then you have the actual "old" books

Then there is the "rare and old" and the ol' "only 10 ever made"

Moderns in my mind are a complete waste of money. I honestly do not believe anything anyone says about print runs and variant covers and exclusive covers and blah blah blah

A lot of people selling moderns are hyping books to move them, but that doesn't go just for moderns either. Movie books and "hot" appearances are also hyped.

A lot of hype around comics.

Personally, a book is worth what it's worth because what I, the buyer, value it to be. If someone wants to tell me I am lowballing them, they are free to do so. If I really want a book for my collection, I will either come back with an apology, after doing extensive research, or walk away and look for it elsewhere.

If something is rare, but no one wants it...

why would it hold value?

Supply and demand.

I have a rare winnie the pooh 22 that was only available in whitman pre-packs. I'd probably have to pay someone to take it.

:takeit: I'll pay you for it.

:takeit: you can pay me to take it

Supply and demand are affected by:

Significance

rarity

Condition

Desirability

Any three = not worth much. Eg a sgnificant book that is desired and in good condition but not rare, won't be worth much. Rare means more demand than supply. There's a range of rarity. Hulk 181 are not rare per se but the demand far outstrips the supply.

Add customer's emotional connection to the book/story/character.

If there are 10 million copies of a book regardless of emotional connection the book will sell for a dollar.

If the book is ragged and waterlogged it will sell for a dollar.

If no one else has an emotional connection it will sell for a dollar.

Significance

Rarity

Condition

Desirability

:popcorn:

In 10 years I might reply to this thread with a big ol' told ya so...

Or you may never hear from me again lol

I'm just trying to get in on some books I think would be good to have 30 years from now. It's simply unfair that I wasn't born in the 60's (I'll just enjoy my youth instead) so I couldn't get in on some AF15's on the ground floor. While the MA books I'm collecting have a somewhat high ground floor, I'm hoping they pay off later. Time will tell. Until then, the price justifies the means.

Jerome

Add customer's emotional connection to the book/story/character.

If there are 10 million copies of a book regardless of emotional connection the book will sell for a dollar.

Yes, but if there were no emotional connection to the book at all, it's much less likely to sell for a dollar. (thumbs u

In a more likely scenario, a book has a run of 400,000, of which 2000 (estimate) are on the active market, and it goes from a $1 book to a $2-5 book if it's got Deadpool in it, for example.

Significance

rarity

Condition

Desirability

Any three = not worth much. Eg a sgnificant book that is desired and in good condition but not rare, won't be worth much. Rare means more demand than supply. There's a range of rarity. Hulk 181 are not rare per se but the demand far outstrips the supply.

Respectfully PIF Killer, Rare <> more demand than supply. Rare or scare to me means limited supply only. It may seem like splitting hairs but it's an important distinction.

I would also take any 3 of the above you listed in any combination so long as Desirability is one of the 3 as that is the only component that will ultimately drive the value in the marketplace IMO.

Significance

rarity

Condition

Desirability

Respectfully PIF Killer, Rare <> more demand than supply. Rare or scare to me means limited supply only. It may seem like splitting hairs but it's an important distinction.

I would also take any 3 of the above you listed in any combination so long as Desirability is one of the 3 as that is the only component that will ultimately drive the value in the marketplace IMO.

What about a book that is desired, rare, significant, but completely shredded and soaked?

What about a book that is desired, Mint, Significant but every store has longboxes of em?

I say you need all 4