• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is your current comic collecting position? Buy Sell Hold, or some combo?

46 posts in this topic

All of the above. Always buying/upgrading my collection, as well as buying new stuff. But at the same time am making a concerted effort to sell off/pare down my collection to a more manageable essential core of books.. so that when someday I give them to my son it's 4-5 long boxes, not 24-25. Been taking what I've earned from selling books and reinvesting it in upgrading other books a bit, but mostly in original art.

Some combo.

Over the past five years, I've sold 95% of my Silver Age slabbed comics collection. I've also sold the Bronze Age major keys that I bought new back in the day.

Still collecting picture frame Marvels both slabbed and raw and still in possession of 95% of the books I bought from 1972-1985. When I'm retired in a couple of years, they'll all be sold, too. I have a collector friend who's already expressed an interest in buying long boxes from me en masse. One thing I learned from watching my parents reach their 90s and then pass on is the value of getting rid of most of your stuff, lightening your load as you move and also lightening the load on your heirs.

Some combo.

Over the past five years, I've sold 95% of my Silver Age slabbed comics collection. I've also sold the Bronze Age major keys that I bought new back in the day.

Still collecting picture frame Marvels both slabbed and raw and still in possession of 95% of the books I bought from 1972-1985. When I'm retired in a couple of years, they'll all be sold, too. I have a collector friend who's already expressed an interest in buying long boxes from me en masse. One thing I learned from watching my parents reach their 90s and then pass on is the value of getting rid of most of your stuff, lightening your load as you move and also lightening the load on your heirs.

Yep. Helping clean out my parents' house where they've lived for 41 years is the impetus for me to sell the cheap and/or duplicate books that I've amassed over the years.

Some combo for me as well, because I do really enjoy collecting comic books.

Although I have considered selling the majority of my collection, keep only a small selection of raw and a few slabbed books and probably continue purchasing current moderns after just to keep up with the hobby.

As meticulous as I am with my collection I know that any heir to this collection would not treat them the same and then most likely sell them off. So why shouldn't I sell them so I may enjoy the fruit of my labor.

I recall reading an article some time back from maybe 7 or 8 yrs or so ago in which a bus driver in Michigan I believe, was killed in his kitchen by a car in a fluke accident. Anyhow the moral to this story is his collection after it was graded was worth something into hundreds of thousands of dollars if I am not mistaken. He had many silver age books of course.

My collection is not that extensive, but I don't want all my effort to be for nothing.