• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will newstand comics prove to be the rarest variant?
1 1

93 posts in this topic

This is hard to say... the manufactured variants have something very distinct about them in that there is new artwork or variations like a B&W version of existing artwork.

The current newstand copies could either turn out to enjoy a slight increase or become the next 35¢ Star Wars 1 price variant. There may be no in-between.

I think there will probably be a few more years before the 1995+ newsstands regularly sell for double the direct editions, even if that's $4 vs. $2. I'm not sure we'll ever see 35cent price variant levels of difference, even for key issues. The one newsstand I've been following for 10+ years is Amazing Spider-man #300 UPC vs. direct. There's only a slight premium for UPC (20% or so), even though there are about 20 direct for every 1 UPC high grade slab.

If a 2000% ratio only creates a 20% premium in the price... it either isn't understood yet (the education question)... or it won't ever matter much (the indifference question).

Throw in the Canadian question and it's all unknowns... though I think most would agree that USA comics intended for USA markets are generally their own kind of animal without adding the various foreign aspects.

I would say a newstand is even more of a manufactured collectible than a ratio variant.

Given the choice between a direct edition, newsstand edition, or a ratio variant for a book that you're going to buy anyway... which do you pick if they're all cover price?

The answer is almost always "the ratio variant, unless I don't like the cover".

Turns out, the newsstand was probably the better answer for the past 20 years... we just didn't know it.

direct_newsstand.png

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=9244482&Searchpage=1

The whole thing is rather silly though, isn't it? I mean, it's the same comic, It just has a UPC code on it.

This is hard to say... the manufactured variants have something very distinct about them in that there is new artwork or variations like a B&W version of existing artwork.

The current newstand copies could either turn out to enjoy a slight increase or become the next 35¢ Star Wars 1 price variant. There may be no in-between.

I think there will probably be a few more years before the 1995+ newsstands regularly sell for double the direct editions, even if that's $4 vs. $2. I'm not sure we'll ever see 35cent price variant levels of difference, even for key issues. The one newsstand I've been following for 10+ years is Amazing Spider-man #300 UPC vs. direct. There's only a slight premium for UPC (20% or so), even though there are about 20 direct for every 1 UPC high grade slab.

If a 2000% ratio only creates a 20% premium in the price... it either isn't understood yet (the education question)... or it won't ever matter much (the indifference question).

Throw in the Canadian question and it's all unknowns... though I think most would agree that USA comics intended for USA markets are generally their own kind of animal without adding the various foreign aspects.

Don't the late 90's Spideys do well in Newstand?

The whole thing is rather silly though, isn't it? I mean, it's the same comic, It just has a UPC code on it.

A ratio variant is the same comic, just with a different cover, and only on the front.

Sure.

Just like the 4th printing of Superman Man of Steel #18 is exactly like the 1st printing, except that buyers for the 4th printing were so slow get a copy that they already missed the 1st printing, the 2nd printing, and the 3rd printing. We're rewarding the least astute collectors of their day for no reason... except difficulty to obtain the item 20+ years later.

A ratio variant is the same comic, just with a different cover, and only on the front.

I can understand going after a variant with an entirely different cover. The idea of going after it simply because it has a bar code on it is silly.

Sure.

Just like the 4th printing of Superman Man of Steel #18 is exactly like the 1st printing, except that buyers for the 4th printing were so slow get a copy that they already missed the 1st printing, the 2nd printing, and the 3rd printing. We're rewarding the least astute collectors of their day for no reason... except difficulty to obtain the item 20+ years later.

Except that the 4th printing is the same comic as the first print. It just has a roman numeral IV on it.

Silly, but as I said, nothing surprises me anymore.

Ice Bear thinks this is one of the dumbest reasons to buy a comic he's ever heard.

The rarest variant of a comic that doesn't matter to the buyer is easily one of the dumbest reasons to buy a comic.

However, if the comic does matter to the buyer in any type of printing... the most desirable type of printing is generally the most desirable... because tautologies state the obvious again and again. (:

I would say a newstand is even more of a manufactured collectible than a ratio variant.

"Manufactured collectible" is a term that describes something made on purpose to sell for more money than usual, to declare itself a "collector's item", or to be a (ratio) incentive to generate more orders.

Newsstand books didn't do any of those things.

Sure, that makes sense. But that's your definition. Personally I don't like the term, was just joking around. Everything is manufactured and everything is collectible to someone, so it has no real meaning.

It's not just my definition.

"The terms special edition, limited edition and variants such as deluxe edition and collectors edition fall under the category of manufactured collectibles, since they are used as marketing incentives for various kinds of products" -link (not my site)

No, it's not just yours. I see it thrown around on here from time to time. Actually, if you search for that term, CGC comes up pretty often in the early results.

A manufactured collectible is not a phrase that is merely a combination of its component terms. Yes, everything made by human hands is manufactured, and yes, anything can be a collectible, but a "manufactured collectible" is an item that is made for the sole and only purpose of BEING a collectible. It is not made for any other purpose except to be collected, and if it does, by chance, have some other utility, it is entirely secondary to its purpose as a collectible.

Sure.

Except that the 4th printing is the same comic as the first print. It just has a roman numeral IV on it.

Silly

Silly? Yep.

A major difference in price? Yep.

"Manufactured collectible" is a term that describes something made on purpose to sell for more money than usual, to declare itself a "collector's item", or to be a (ratio) incentive to generate more orders.

Newsstand books didn't do any of those things.

Sure, that makes sense. But that's your definition. Personally I don't like the term, was just joking around. Everything is manufactured and everything is collectible to someone, so it has no real meaning.

It's not just my definition.

"The terms special edition, limited edition and variants such as deluxe edition and collectors edition fall under the category of manufactured collectibles, since they are used as marketing incentives for various kinds of products" -link (not my site)

No, it's not just yours. I see it thrown around on here from time to time. Actually, if you search for that term, CGC comes up pretty often in the early results.

A manufactured collectible is not a phrase that is merely a combination of its component terms. Yes, everything made by human hands is manufactured, and yes, anything can be a collectible, but a "manufactured collectible" is an item that is made for the sole and only purpose of BEING a collectible. It is not made for any other purpose except to be collected, and if it does, by chance, have some other utility, it is entirely secondary to its purpose as a collectible.

Couldn't that be said for all comics? Or are you saying that variants are not meant to be read? Why introduce new characters, that become "keys", aren't there enough already to just make good stories around?

Obviously I'm being :insane: but there is a speck of truth in that.

The whole thing is rather silly though, isn't it? I mean, it's the same comic, It just has a slightly larger UPC code and no "Direct Sales/Direct Edition" in the box on it.

Sure.

Silly

Fixed for the specific discussion

and some different logo (and maybe cover text) colours. Maybe different ads?

Let's take a moment to remember Ice Bear, and the good times we had when he was here.

Ok.

I have several color variants. They are very rare. They are manufacturing mistakes just like that upside down airplane stamp. I have been trying for years to use logic to encourage the market to accept my inflated price expectations, but so far the market has resisted. I call the market stupid...it tells me to shut up and that my mama wears army boots.

I think newstand comics may fit into the same category.

Let's take a moment to remember Ice Bear, and the good times we had when he was here.

Ok.

I have several color variants. They are very rare. They are manufacturing mistakes just like that upside down airplane stamp. I have been trying for years to use logic to encourage the market to accept my inflated price expectations, but so far the market has resisted. I call the market stupid...it tells me to shut up and that my mama wears army boots.

I think newstand comics may fit into the same category.

Now that is a good post. (thumbs u

Newsstand copies weren't hyped as a limited special variant and most collectors still don't care about direct vs. newsstand.

The prices will increase as buyers are educated. Thankfully, most people refuse to be educated beyond what is required by law, so there will always be at least a chance to get them cheap. (thumbs u

Just because someone is educated on newsstand editions doesn't mean they care about newsstand editions.

Newsstand copies weren't hyped as a limited special variant and most collectors still don't care about direct vs. newsstand.

The prices will increase as buyers are educated. Thankfully, most people refuse to be educated beyond what is required by law, so there will always be at least a chance to get them cheap. (thumbs u

Just because someone is educated on newsstand editions doesn't mean they care about newsstand editions.

That's even more reason to think there will always be a chance to get them cheap. (thumbs u