• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official Aftershock super insider fan thread of awesomeness.

20 posts in this topic

I figured I would start a new thread that will serve as an insider look into Aftershock comics. There will be news here, and information you will find nowhere else. I just got back from a weekend hanging out with Joe (Pruett; who is the publisher for Aftershock, and also the writer for Black Eyed Kids.) and Garth (Ennis; writer of Dreaming Eagles and also pretty much every awesome thing you've ever read.) We had way too many beers on Saturday, and did a signing at Ssalefish comics in Winston Salem North Carolina on Sunday. The signing was a huge success, and the line was enormous. I'd say 400-500 people came through, and got to meet Joe and Garth. They also got to see me continuing to drink beers, and pretty much being awesome.

VpCGXz.jpg

Here's a photo of us at dinner on Saturday. The waitress got a little crazy on the angle, but I think it made for a cool image. I'm the extraordinarily good looking guy on the end there with the Braves hat on.

I'll be bringing Joe and possibly Paul (Jenkins; probably one of the nicest people on the planet, writer of Replica, and an as yet unannounced new project that is going to be huge. Trust me on this one. He's got a winner here.) into the thread to answer some questions and give some insight into new projects and such.

Below are my thoughts on Joe's new book.

Black Eyed Kids #1

This book is amazing, and I think it's going to be the breakaway hit that Aftershock has needed. Definitely the best first issue I've read in a long time, and I am a pretty tough audience with new books these days. I really only like a few books a month if that.

Definitely buy the regular copy to read, but don't sleep on this micro variant. (only 175 available) Full disclosure, I am responsible for setting this cover up, so I'm partial. I have a small amount of them. It was my favorite option, so I thought it would be a good bet to make it the most limited cover. 5 have already sold for around $40 apiece on the bay from Ssalefish comics.

IiJG7D.jpg

There's also a B+W variant that is limited to 500, but this one is the one I've invested in. The sketch one is definitely a cool option, but that micro is such a creepy image. There's also a show variant that's limited to 500 as well. If anyone is interested Joe will have these available at the Aftershock comics booth at several shows coming up. The regular book sold out same day of release from Diamond. Like I said, I'm not hiding the fact that I have a nice stack of these, but I really do believe in the book, and am expecting great things from Joe.

So there you have it. Any questions/comments are welcome.

This title will ship on time. It's ongoing and #5 is already 1/2 way done. Kudranski is incredibly fast, and could probably handle 2 monthly books. There won't be any breaks.

Read it last night. I thought it was okay, didn't really scare me. Violent and edgy, mysterious and intriguing though. I'm in for #2

You hit on the nose.... I hope this title ships regularly

That sounds good ... but lets hope Aftershock can do a better job than some of the other indies. Readers grow really tired of having their books drop for months at a time, or simply vanish. Lets hope they have a commitment to their readers.

I agree absolutely, and that is a huge priority. They started publishing a year ago, and have done around 30 issues in that time. Most of which have shipped month in and month out with no delay. The last thing that's going to happen here is for a book to completely disappear for any length of time. I think we all know how that alienates readers, and that is not going to happen.

That sounds good ... but lets hope Aftershock can do a better job than some of the other indies. Readers grow really tired of having their books drop for months at a time, or simply vanish. Lets hope they have a commitment to their readers.

I 'd say rough riders which came out a couple of week ago is worth a read

Write up about it:

Led by a young Theodore Roosevelt, a motley crew of soon-to-be American legends must work together to solve a mystery that threatens all of existence. Harry Houdini — street magician and master of misdirection. Annie Oakley — a washed-up entertainer, eager for a chance to prove herself in a real war. Jack Johnson — an undefeated brawler and the son of ex-slaves, determined to get his shot at the heavyweight championship… When a terrifying alien technology destroys the USS Maine, these unlikely allies set sail for bloody Cuba, into the heart of a brewing conflict, to wage a shadow war against the greatest threat mankind has ever known. Before they were famous, they were… ROUGH RIDERS.

I 'd say rough riders which came out a couple of week ago is worth a read

Write up about it:

Led by a young Theodore Roosevelt, a motley crew of soon-to-be American legends must work together to solve a mystery that threatens all of existence. Harry Houdini — street magician and master of misdirection. Annie Oakley — a washed-up entertainer, eager for a chance to prove herself in a real war. Jack Johnson — an undefeated brawler and the son of ex-slaves, determined to get his shot at the heavyweight championship… When a terrifying alien technology destroys the USS Maine, these unlikely allies set sail for bloody Cuba, into the heart of a brewing conflict, to wage a shadow war against the greatest threat mankind has ever known. Before they were famous, they were… ROUGH RIDERS.

My brother loved this book but I haven't read mine yet. He is a LOT tougher to please than I am so I'm betting on a very good read. (thumbs u