• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's The Most Overrated - The Final

The Final  

270 members have voted

1. 1. The Final

39 posts in this topic

John Byrne or Alan Moore???

Two of the biggest names in comics in the last 25 or so years, both of whom have their names on some of the most popular and successful books in this period.

They've both produced some dreck though and by dint of their huge popularity are both bound to be overrated.

But which of them dressed the Emperor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Byrne's Uncanny and FF are stuff of legends BUT Moore's Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LXG and Watchmen sustained quality over a longer period, both are shells of what they used to be, in the end it's a tough call but I'm partial to Uncanny.

Byrne's Uncanny and FF are stuff of legends BUT Moore's Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LXG and Watchmen sustained quality over a longer period, both are shells of what they used to be, in the end it's a tough call but I'm partial to Uncanny.

I second that...

(btw, nice avatar! thumbsup2.gif)

How did Bendis not make the final. Are people really that blind?

While I agree 110% with you SS, I thik people were taking into account longevity - as in who has been overrated the longest. Bendis just hasn't proven he has the legs to be overrated yet.

Or its the shills insane.gif

i voted moore since the only thing i liked from him was the LXG movie. confused-smiley-013.gif but byrne ain't ee w/o inker terry austin. tonofbricks.gif

Do we really need to go through the old-inker-as-a-tracer thing again??? makepoint.gif

McFarlane revolutionized spidey with his new web look and created a character that went over 100 issues, cartoon series on showtime, and a theatrical movie. not to mention his toy line. gossip.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like McFarlane. Others do not...hence the suprise that he was not in the final match. confused-smiley-013.gif

McFarlane revolutionized spidey with his new web look and created a character that went over 100 issues, cartoon series on showtime, and a theatrical movie. not to mention his toy line. gossip.gif

Yeah, Spidey was nothing until McFarlane came along. yeahok.gif

He did have a point about the theatrical movie though. What a cinematic godsend Spawn the movie was. hail.gifhail.gif

He did have a point about the theatrical movie though. What a cinematic godsend Spawn the movie was. hail.gifhail.gif

27_laughing.gif I gave up after ten minutes.

just pick up SS one shot that came out in 1982 or any byrne DC's. screwy.gif

Sorry, but I dont see your point... confused-smiley-013.gif

How did Bendis not make the final. Are people really that blind?
]

"Overrated" means something different to me than you, obviously. Bendis is a prolific writer who can get things out on time. Good? He's OK, but in 20 years, will people be actively looking for his stuff? I don't think so. I don't think Bendis is overrated at all, because his "rating" is right where it should be - he's the current Marvel star, mainly because he's writing all the books. Both Byrne and Miller have this aura around them where they can do no wrong.

Which is ridiculous - what was the last good thing Byrne did? Seriously - he's been a hack for 15 years, coasting on the coattails of his glory years. At least Miller tries something new - it might not be any good, but he's trying. Byrne just sort of drifts by, drafting off his X-Men run, which fades more and more into the rear view mirror.

just pick up SS one shot that came out in 1982 or any byrne DC's. screwy.gif

screwy.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

I don't think Byrne or Moore and over-rated. How did we end up with these two and not Kevin Smith or Bendis or McFarlane? screwy.gifscrewy.gif

I think some people did not understand the poll. Which is pretty scary...

i voted moore since the only thing i liked from him was the LXG movie.

I didn't just read that.