• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel...

152 posts in this topic

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

In the old days we called this being gman'ed. :mad:

I may be in the minority, but believe it wrong for sellers to offer slabbed comics for sale before they are back from CGC.
I'm right there with ya. (thumbs u I personally have no interest in purchasing books from sellers who have a less-than-stable balance sheet. Unless you're hurting for cash, what's the rush? :fear:

I do not think its wrong if disclosed properly. Just not wise, and more trouble than its worth. And for the life of me I can't understand why this would need to be done barring the occasional family or gambling emergency.

Does anyone have insight as to why they can't wait 1-3 days until the book(s) are in hand? Do they just love selling on a certain day of the week? Is your schedule that busy (couldn't you just set up the thread ahead of time then just post it whenever the books actually come)? Are you losing bank interest for every day that cash isn't in your bank account? Are you just lazy and hope some books can get sold without scans?

I don't think there's anything dishonest or nefarious about it, I just don't know what there is to be gained. I THINK the negatives of turning potential customers OFF because of this policy outweigh the gains (whatever those gains are).

I WILL SAY there may be gains when you are the first to market with a certain new or hot book, but that rarely is the case with the pre-sell people from what I've seen.

I may be in the minority, but believe it wrong for sellers to offer slabbed comics for sale before they are back from CGC.
I'm right there with ya. (thumbs u I personally have no interest in purchasing books from sellers who have a less-than-stable balance sheet. Unless you're hurting for cash, what's the rush? :fear:

I do not think its wrong if disclosed properly. Just not wise, and more trouble than its worth. And for the life of me I can't understand why this would need to be done barring the occasional family or gambling emergency.

Does anyone have insight as to why they can't wait 1-3 days until the book(s) are in hand? Do they just love selling on a certain day of the week? Is your schedule that busy (couldn't you just set up the thread ahead of time then just post it whenever the books actually come)? Are you losing bank interest for every day that cash isn't in your bank account? Are you just lazy and hope some books can get sold without scans?

I don't think there's anything dishonest or nefarious about it, I just don't know what there is to be gained. I THINK the negatives of turning potential customers OFF because of this policy outweigh the gains (whatever those gains are).

I WILL SAY there may be gains when you are the first to market with a certain new or hot book, but that rarely is the case with the pre-sell people from what I've seen.

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. If you bought a Prince cover book right when he died you would have lost considerable money if you didn't basically sell it while it was in transit. The risks are too high for me to try this selling before it arrives route (especially if I've not even paid for the books yet!) but I can see why people would do it if the demand for the book is NOW and could be gone in a few days.

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

What's so bad about it?

When one sells a comic they don't actually have in their possession, the following issues can arise:

1. The comic may not arrive before the second buyer expects to have it in their own possession.

2. The comic may arrive damaged. Or not at all.

3. The comic may arrive with a defect or important feature not known to the first buyer until the book is in hand.

To sell an item that you don't currently have in your possession, or in the case of a consignment/auction item have ever had in your possession, is at best a poor business practice, if not outright deceitful to the second buyer of the item.

All of these things could happen to books on route back from CGC (other then the last one I guess but I don't think Joey ever said the book was raw) and we seem to have no issue with this scenario.

Well then I must be a bad seller.

I always list books prior to getting them back from CGC.

Customers can get an idea of what books are coming, they are welcome to have the book put on hold pending scan.

I own them. Not sure what the big deal is.

You're a smart guy no need to go into the list of things that could happen to the books before you actually have them.

Also, creates a situation where someone may have to uncomfortably decline after seeing the scan. Some percentage of those people may still feel obligated and make an unhappy purchase. Or is that the idea? Also, if someone posts an "I'll take it pending scan" then some other potential buyers will never return to see if it went through and there is a potential loss of a sale.

My question is: What's the hurry? Why open a door to hassles, even if unlikely, rather than wait a few days.

I get posting a list of "coming soon" to generate some excitement, and there's an announcement thread for that.

I never do sales threads so maybe I'm misinterpreting the "List before you have the book in hand".

I do "pre-list" on my website and it is not that I'm in a hurry.

It is more the allotment of work time to getting the grades from CGC, entering the information into the system and moving on to the next thing.

I never do sales threads so maybe I'm misinterpreting the "List before you have the book in hand".

It is more the allotment of work time to getting the grades from CGC, entering the information into the system and moving on to the next thing.

Bob, in your case, you have a Return Policy and you don't charge a 10% premium to see the scan.

I know you will also accept a Take It pending scan inquiry.

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

What's so bad about it?

When one sells a comic they don't actually have in their possession, the following issues can arise:

1. The comic may not arrive before the second buyer expects to have it in their own possession.

2. The comic may arrive damaged. Or not at all.

3. The comic may arrive with a defect or important feature not known to the first buyer until the book is in hand.

To sell an item that you don't currently have in your possession, or in the case of a consignment/auction item have ever had in your possession, is at best a poor business practice, if not outright deceitful to the second buyer of the item.

All of these things could happen to books on route back from CGC (other then the last one I guess but I don't think Joey ever said the book was raw) and we seem to have no issue with this scenario.

Well then I must be a bad seller.

I always list books prior to getting them back from CGC.

Customers can get an idea of what books are coming, they are welcome to have the book put on hold pending scan.

I own them. Not sure what the big deal is.

You're a smart guy no need to go into the list of things that could happen to the books before you actually have them.

Also, creates a situation where someone may have to uncomfortably decline after seeing the scan. Some percentage of those people may still feel obligated and make an unhappy purchase. Or is that the idea? Also, if someone posts an "I'll take it pending scan" then some other potential buyers will never return to see if it went through and there is a potential loss of a sale.

My question is: What's the hurry? Why open a door to hassles, even if unlikely, rather than wait a few days.

I get posting a list of "coming soon" to generate some excitement, and there's an announcement thread for that.

+1

Not of question of morality or honesty at all, just a matter of logic with regard to specific business practice. Does the risk outweigh the reward?

And what is the reward?

That people who would not have otherwise have been on the boards three days from now (and for the next three days after that) will have seen listed (but not pictured) today and made a purchase that no one else would have made had you started the sale three days from now with pictures. I have no doubt this happens from time to time, but is it often enough to make it worth it?

And the risks?

That people who don't like this method ignore your thread completely.

That the slabs are damaged or delayed and you get unhappy potential customers who end up being disenchanted with your style of selling and ignore in the future.

That someone who claimed a slab rejects your slab after seeing it, and then others are influenced by the rejection, and something you might have otherwise sold to the 2nd or third buyer now has the taint of rejection from the 1st buyer, resulting in no sale.

That people don't check back into old threads too much after a few days.

That people think you don't take eye appeal into account when pricing your slabs.

That people question your logic regarding business practices, leading them to have doubts about other things.

Note this doesn't apply for websites or whatever, just those who have sales thread's here on the boards for finite amounts of time.

Of course, this excludes the 1st to market or 'hot' books as a 'reward'

I think people are talking about the sales threads here on the boards.

Yeah, as I was responding I was thinking I never see sales threads from you.

I know I was. However, as a matter of personal policy, I do not purchase books (raw or certified) without first seeing scans. I wasted a lot of money in the pre-internet days returning books that didn't quite fit the bill.

I know I was. However, as a matter of personal policy, I do not purchase books (raw or certified) without first seeing scans. I wasted a lot of money in the pre-internet days returning books that didn't quite fit the bill.

Even with scans sometimes the book still doesn't come out the way you perceive it to be.

I've decided based on the posts in this thread not to have any more presales of CGC books being shipped

for example I have an ASM300 9.4 white pages, walking dead slabs 3-10 in 9.6/9.8 flavors all arriving on friday, please no take it pending scans, thread should be up the day after tomorrow

I've decided based on the posts in this thread not to have any more presales of CGC books being shipped

for example I have an ASM300 9.4 white pages, walking dead slabs 3-10 in 9.6/9.8 flavors all arriving on friday, please no take it pending scans, thread should be up the day after tomorrow

So now you're just pimping your wares in CG? :baiting:

hector straight CAK'd it. And I personally applaud the effort :golfclap:

I forgot to mention to mention I'll be at the Pokonos con this weekend and will be pressing some burritos with a cold corona - stop by and I'll pour you some tequila

I forgot to mention to mention I'll be at the Pokonos con this weekend and will be pressing some burritos with a cold corona - stop by and I'll pour you some tequila

(worship) Mini CAK (and in no way am I saying Hector is short)

In the old days we called this being gman'ed. :mad:

lol. First name that popped into my mind.

(worship) Mini CAK (and in no way am I saying Hector is short)

Greggy is the only one allowed to make fun of my height

Suck it dweeb

Is it truly being CAK'd if it doesn't have a tutorial connected to it?

Is it truly being CAK'd if it doesn't have a tutorial connected to it?

Heh.