• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel...

152 posts in this topic

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

I personally wouldn't list a book until I have it in hand. What happens if it is damaged during shipment to him and he has already sold it. His buyer is not going to be happy.

I think waiting to list a book until after you have it in hand just decreases the likelihood of headaches.

I think the point Joey is making is he could have at least paid for the book before listing it .

I personally wouldn't list a book until I have it in hand. What happens if it is damaged during shipment to him and he has already sold it. His buyer is not going to be happy.

Or a dozen other scenarios. Joey might be out of town and can't ship right away. Or he's on vacation. Or he gets abducted by a pack of giant gophers because he hasn't shaved in three days. The possibilities are endless. Seriously.

first, doesnt that technically violate some of the eBay listing policies (I think I remember a discussion about this a few years back when someone was doing a quick flip of some blacklight posters maybe)?

I guess the only person who's at risk in your scenario if the guy you are selling to. He's assuming:

a) you are going to ship in a timely manner so he can fill his order if someone hits his BIN (if its a BIN)

b) nothing bad happens during shipment

c) the book is as you described

I think using others scans of purchases is a common practice here (especially for people w/o scanners). but you could say "hey no big deal, but in the future it's best to ask to use someone else's scan for your listings"

Pretty sure it is against ebays policy to post a collectable for sale that you do not own yet . According to Joey - the transaction has not completed yet. What if the seller was trying to flip the book for a few days - without having the $$ to pay for it? - using the ebay $$$ to pay Joey?

Dozens of "what if" and such with a transaction like this. Once the book is sold and in hand ( all loose ends of a transactions completed) - then the buyer can list wherever they want. Until then - the transaction has not been completed and they should be patient.

Also - they really should ask for permission to use a scan. They are buying the book in the scan - not the scan itself. Semantics I know (and something trivial enough to not really worth pursuing) - but it is not and open source image for many reasons.

Just out of curiosity, did they buy at your asking price, or give you a sob story about this was their dad's favorite book, and their uncle Jeffrey actually worked in the printing presses used for this issue, etc...

Using your scan wouldn't bother me that much, but like others said, what if something happens to the book in transit that negates the scan's accuracy?

No nothing like that, and I knew the buyers past MO, but I believe in paying for something before I claim to own it.

Me, too, but not everyone shares this ethic. The very first time I sold a portion of my slabbed SA Marvel collection I did it by consignment. There was a buyer and acquaintance of the dealer who bought a large number of books for a relatively high dollar amount, and they used time payments over several months to pay. Some of the books were cracked, pressed, resubmitted, offered for sale and sold by the buyer before I had ever been paid for them.

In the present instance, no one should be selling comics that haven't been in their possession.

Or a dozen other scenarios. Joey might be out of town and can't ship right away. Or he's on vacation. Or he gets abducted by a pack of giant gophers because he hasn't shaved in three days. The possibilities are endless. Seriously.

What's funny is I have been attacked by gophers in the past.

I can't remember the exact instance but this seemed to have happened to me many years ago here on the boards - I think for a time I even had to post "I don't drop ship" in my sales threads.

From your description of the situation Joe it sounds like he is trying to sell it first at a profit then pay you. Since it's not paid for I would cancel the sale and tell the buyer to take a hike.

I can't remember the exact instance but this seemed to have happened to me many years ago here on the boards - I think for a time I even had to post "I don't drop ship" in my sales threads.

From your description of the situation Joe it sounds like he is trying to sell it first at a profit then pay you. Since it's not paid for I would cancel the sale and tell the buyer to take a hike.

+1

Then pop the BIN on his ebay listing :insane:

What's funny is I have been attacked by gophers in the past.

58362004.jpg

Or give eBay a call for a fraudulent listing of a book you still own and in your possession.

I think it's silly to post a book F/S before it's officially mine (at least until I've paid for it). I'd probably feel a bit strange about the situation as well, which is probably why you are posting about it. If you think it's better to sell to someone else, I think you could back out if it hasn't been paid for yet, given the fact you wouldn't want your book going to someone you felt is doing something wrong, IMO. I'd hate to feel dirty when buying or selling a book.

this thread is duplicated in the Voldermord forum i personally feel cheated :(

First public reference to the other forum that I've seen. Anticipating the lock.

It is rather poor form. People should not sell anything that they do not personally own.

Books coming back from a grading company you own.

Books you have submitted to a grading company you own.

Books that you have not yet paid for or are en route you do not own.

Just out of curiosity, did they buy at your asking price, or give you a sob story about this was their dad's favorite book, and their uncle Jeffrey actually worked in the printing presses used for this issue, etc...

Using your scan wouldn't bother me that much, but like others said, what if something happens to the book in transit that negates the scan's accuracy?

No nothing like that, and I knew the buyers past MO, but I believe in paying for something before I claim to own it.

Me, too, but not everyone shares this ethic. The very first time I sold a portion of my slabbed SA Marvel collection I did it by consignment. There was a buyer and acquaintance of the dealer who bought a large number of books for a relatively high dollar amount, and they used time payments over several months to pay. Some of the books were cracked, pressed, resubmitted, offered for sale and sold by the buyer before I had ever been paid for them.

In the present instance, no one should be selling comics that haven't been in their possession.

I routinely get post-dated checks from a lot of dealers and I know that at least some of the books they are taking immediate possession of will be resold before I'm able to deposit the checks.

It's kind of annoying, but once transactions reach a certain amount you kind of just have to roll with it. All in all it really doesn't bother me that much.

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

What's so bad about it?

The only person that stands to lose here is the person who bought it from Joey if something happens to it before they receive it

And the scan thing, so the book is for sale, but the scan of it is yours forever?

You agreed to a deal, whatever that person does now is their business

Wait till they pay to ship it, beyond that, who cares IMO

:applause:

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

10nrwk5.gif