• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Creepy and Eerie...

39 posts in this topic

Just decided to take the plunge and start collecting some Warren titles. I am looking for Creepy and Eerie right now, mostly numbered 25 and below, with nice Frazetta, Adams or other cool covers. What % of guide should I shoot for in 7.0-8.5 condition? Is Overstreet accurate around those grades? From what little I have seen, they tend to go for 60-100% of guide. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for Creepy 11 in particular if anyone has an extra. Thanks.

Hey, OcFi! hi.gif

Generally, I've found Warren collectors usually agree that about the first 17 or so Creepy's are the sentimental faves of the run. So, you've got your sights set on some good stuff, even though there is plenty of excellent material in both titles later down the road.

I'd say, given the grade range you specified, 70% of guide will probably be the norm. Fair market value auctions will sometimes see them go for even less in those grades! Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Hey, OcFi! hi.gif

Generally, I've found Warren collectors usually agree that about the first 17 or so Creepy's are the sentimental faves of the run. So, you've got your sights set on some good stuff, even though there is plenty of excellent material in both titles later down the road.

I'd say, given the grade range you specified, 70% of guide will probably be the norm. Fair market value auctions will sometimes see them go for even less in those grades! Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Hello October, Keith had a great reply, I consider him the Connoisseur in this thread. I actually was more of an Art guy than a story guy. I loved the art, and how things were depicted visually. So with that, I am also a big cover guy. What's great is that you will find issues here and there where you were like "woa I didn't know that he did that cover"...(He) meaning one of your favorite artists. I love coming across Warren covers that Corben did and I had never seen before. One of my favorites is Eerie #86, it has an awesome and I mean awesome cover, it's full of chaos and really vibrant colors. It's also an all Corben issue which is just awesome.

I think that you are pretty safe with the first 25 issues. I tend to like Creepy a little more than Eerie, but that is just from cover art. I think that Eerie may have been just a "little" bit more focused on fantasy with a mix of monsters and supernatural here and there.

Of course your Frazetta work was prominent with the earlier 1-10 issues. With a few others sprinkled here an there like the Scarce Creepy #32 and Eerie #23.

You will definitely find your favorites as you look around. I myself am more of a Skywald guy. I liked what Al Hewetson did with the publisher, and started the "Horror-Mood" issues (Hint, find which issue was the first start of Hewetson's Horror-Mood and hold onto it for a long time...It's already a tough issue to get flowerred.gif)

In addition I think that Psycho #1 has one of the most classic torture/gross covers out there. In magazines or comics. If that cover was used in a pre-code horror book, it would definitely be one of the most coveted out there. The flesh peeling is just such a great touch... cloud9.gif haha... poke2.gif

Well man I would love to get some feedback from you as you start your journey here with Magazines and hear what type of stuff your finding and what you like.

I also really LOVED Earl Norem's work for Marvel, he did some really nice work and I always loved his classic painting style. His figures always had great body and volumn.

-bounty

Hello gentlemen. hi.gif

I took the plunge awhile ago and picked this up. I overpaid a bit, but that's ok for my first time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

Generally I am a completionist, but for these titles I think I will just stick to random issues with nice covers. Right now I really want Creepy 11 and Eerie 7. I will be sure to post scans as soon as I get the mags in. I am shocked that more people aren't interested in mags, the cover art is so amazing. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

BTW: I would have to say that Web of Horror 3 in VF or better is my magazine grail. That Wrightson cover is unreal. hail.gif

Hello gentlemen. hi.gif

I took the plunge awhile ago and picked this up. I overpaid a bit, but that's ok for my first time.

Generally I am a completionist, but for these titles I think I will just stick to random issues with nice covers. Right now I really want Creepy 11 and Eerie 7. I will be sure to post scans as soon as I get the mags in. I am shocked that more people aren't interested in mags, the cover art is so amazing. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

BTW: I would have to say that Web of Horror 3 in VF or better is my magazine grail. That Wrightson cover is unreal. hail.gif

I would say that you didn't overpay for that book by any means. I think that is a very fair price for that book. If you were able to combine on shipping with a few other books then that would have been a perfect purchase! I LOVE that Frazetta cover. Really is one of my top 10 Creepy Covers.

I say nice pick up! thumbsup2.gif

-bounty

Hello gentlemen. hi.gif

I would say that you didn't overpay for that book by any means. I think that is a very fair price for that book. If you were able to combine on shipping with a few other books then that would have been a perfect purchase! I LOVE that Frazetta cover. Really is one of my top 10 Creepy Covers.

I say nice pick up! thumbsup2.gif

-bounty

Also bought Swamp Thing 4 and 6 (which I got better deals on)...gotta love the combined shipping. thumbsup2.gif

Man you can't beat that! Were you happy with the grading on the magazine? I always find it interesting to see how many grade their magazines.

-bounty

I am away at school right now, and the package is at home (I hope). I will post a scan next weekend when I see how it turns out. thumbsup2.gif

Well, got my Eerie 7. After posting on here I decided to take a look on eBay and I caught this one a few hours before it ended. The scan is small, but it looks amazing from what I can see...and defects tend to pop out since it is a black cover. In any case, it was cheap enough. I will post this one when I get it as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6954512408

OF, that # 7 looks kike a killer copy for $8.00. Congrats and please post when in hand! thumbsup2.gif

Uh insane.gif NO KIDDING! That books looks near pristine. Now it truly is TOUGH to get an accurate rep by picture especially that small. For I have been fooled before. But man your right that does look great. Sounds like a steal regardless!

-bounty

Hello October, Keith had a great reply, I consider him the Connoisseur in this thread.

-bounty

Are you sure it's not a beer connoisseur you're thinking of? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe I shouldn't make these posts while under the influence of a few cans of malted hops, at the risk of offending the high grade slab crowd who never read their comics, but frankly at this point I don't care if those types get offended. Spoken like a true HORROR addict, I must say: " I can't wait until 20 years from now, when (hopefully) there is no market for multi-thousand dollar horror books, and you old, greedy, "investment" nerds are all dead and rotting, so I can buy your collections at a reasonable price, READ YOUR BOOKS, drink my beer, and whiz on your tombstones.... alll at the same time..."

grin.gif

grin.gifSorry Keith I couldn't resist, it's a classic! flowerred.gif

Well, got my Eerie 7. After posting on here I decided to take a look on eBay and I caught this one a few hours before it ended. The scan is small, but it looks amazing from what I can see...and defects tend to pop out since it is a black cover. In any case, it was cheap enough. I will post this one when I get it as well.

Congrats! I paid through the nose for a CGC 9.6 copy of Eerie 7 just a few months ago. There's only two copies graded higher. I get real sentimental about those Frazetta covers. Especially the ones that really look like the kind of fine art you would see in a museum next to a Rembrandt. Again, congratulations for picking up a really nice book for a killer price!

Congrats! I paid through the nose for a CGC 9.6 copy of Eerie 7 just a few months ago. There's only two copies graded higher. I get real sentimental about those Frazetta covers. Especially the ones that really look like the kind of fine art you would see in a museum next to a Rembrandt. Again, congratulations for picking up a really nice book for a killer price!

Well, I sure hope it's killer...have to wait and see. BTW: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! thumbsup2.gif

Ok. Got the Eerie 7 and it is spectacular. Please let me know what your expert opinions are. grin.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=814491&Main=814491#Post814491

Picked this one up recently as well. It has a corner ding and some BC soiling, but still a solid VF for a nice price of $20. I really, really like these mags. The cover art is peerless, they are cheap, the stories are decent and they can be found in HG. I am hooked. I am going to try and put together a batch of the Frazetta covers. Anyone have a Creepy 11 or Vampirella 5 they want to part with in raw 7.5 or better?

Image Hosted by imagehosting.us