• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow! When did Detective #405 explode?

25 posts in this topic

I'm seeing $30 - $70 for mid-grade copies on eBay. What the hell?

Great Adams cover? Yes! But it's got boring interior art by Bob Brown, and a fairly bland story overall.

And that "introduction" of the League of Assassins? It's more like "assassin", singular. Despite the cadre of baddies teased on the cover, Batman only tangles with a one of them in the story.

I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing that the demand, and hence the prices, has something to do with a movie or TV show, right?

IT probably has a lot to do with the importance of each book in regards to the Ra's AlGhul mythos. I believe both of these predate his first appearance. I don't have a 405 yet..... but I do have a 411..... and even though I sometimes include it in a sales thread, I have it priced so high it probably wont sell. It's really more of a "keeper" to me.Talia has been an important character in Batman's world for years.... as has the League of Assassins. Even though TV and Film exposure certainly hasn't hurt these books, I'd think a lot of the appeal lies with Batman collectors just wanting a copy...... and Batman collectors represent a huge portion of the back issue market. It's easy to attribute price spikes to TV and Film exposure, and the influence is obviously undeniable.... but the main driving force still lies with the rank and file back issue collectors.... they are the ones who buy the books, not some movie goer who suddenly decides they MUST own a 200 dollar comic book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... despite what Movie Hype may lead us to believe, around here it's still the Big Three that makes up the lion's share of back issue sales at the local LCS, which are Batman, X-Men, and ASM......even after all the years of movie hype. Not to digress(...well, maybe a little....), all of the local shops report a continuous and steady increase of regular female customers, with one boasting a 20% ratio of customers as female.... but this one is in a College town...... so I may end up having to eat crow in regards to larger back issue sales coming from other than the pre established collector base.

Not sure about 405's content or importance beyond the cover as I haven't read that issue, but it has been a fairly pricey "key" for a few years. I definitely agree with Jimjum, though, falling into that category of Bat-collector myself: I think it's much more about appreciation for the building blocks of a key period in the character's history that still resonates today rather than trite speculation buzz. I see it as an extension of 232's "major key" status, with 411 being the root and 405 as maybe the initial seed for Denny's long-term strategy. Personally, I don't really care about potential TV/Movie appearances for many of these characters in the Batman mythology as they usually tend to diminish the characters rather than do justice to them, but that's another discussion entirely.

Here's a recent thread on 'Tec 411: Detective Comics 411 - The Silent Game Changer?

411 is a great issue on many levels: One of Adams's best covers (along with 405, both covers give the eye plenty to feast upon by creating dimensionality, juxtaposing foreground and background dramatically while still keeping the visuals pleasing and uncomplicated), a fun O'Neill story that still holds up quite well with solid interior art, Talia's first appearance (in a crucial role), a Ra's al Ghul tease and some Bond-like international intrigue with the League.

There's just so much to love throughout this period :cloud9: I think it's just natural that ripples will develop forward and backward throughout the Bronze Age around this material as there's so much depth to be explored.

Great post! I picked this copy up around fifteen years ago on eBay in a lot with a bunch of surrounding issues. Many of them were well-read, but 409 and 411 were both extremely nice for some reason.

I only wish Adams had done more of the interiors during this era, or at least someone whose work would have fit the mood better like Giordano or Aparo. My first exposure to Batman was the cover of Bats 245 at age 6 and I've been hooked ever since!

Not sure about 405's content or importance beyond the cover as I haven't read that issue, but it has been a fairly pricey "key" for a few years. I definitely agree with Jimjum, though, falling into that category of Bat-collector myself: I think it's much more about appreciation for the building blocks of a key period in the character's history that still resonates today rather than trite speculation buzz. I see it as an extension of 232's "major key" status, with 411 being the root and 405 as maybe the initial seed for Denny's long-term strategy. Personally, I don't really care about potential TV/Movie appearances for many of these characters in the Batman mythology as they usually tend to diminish the characters rather than do justice to them, but that's another discussion entirely.

Here's a recent thread on 'Tec 411: Detective Comics 411 - The Silent Game Changer?

411 is a great issue on many levels: One of Adams's best covers (along with 405, both covers give the eye plenty to feast upon by creating dimensionality, juxtaposing foreground and background dramatically while still keeping the visuals pleasing and uncomplicated), a fun O'Neill story that still holds up quite well with solid interior art, Talia's first appearance (in a crucial role), a Ra's al Ghul tease and some Bond-like international intrigue with the League.

There's just so much to love throughout this period :cloud9: I think it's just natural that ripples will develop forward and backward throughout the Bronze Age around this material as there's so much depth to be explored.

..... well said. I'm betting there are legions of Batfans who feel exactly like you do. I did like the film treatment of Ra's and Talia for the most part..... in fact, Batman Begins is my favorite so far.... largely due to Ra's and the into to his world...... so for me, as burnt out as I am with Movie Hype books, I have to consider that it may play a role with my purchasing habits..... but only with characters/ concepts that I already like. I've loved Batman since I was a kid in the 60's........ and definitely tuned in "same Bat time, same Bat channel" lol I've been underbidder on quite a few Batman 232's but I just can't seem to forget paying 30 bucks for NM copies in the early 90's. I really should get one.... but I need to either reconcile my high grade snobbishness with a mid grade..... or, as they say, Mannup. One Batman book I've been liking for a while that is still affordable in grade (if you can find one...) is # 217. It features a major shift for Batman with Robin moving out for college and Bruce closing down Wayne Manor and heading for the Penthouse. Some of my favorite Batman books were by Don Newton in the Penthouse setting. GOD BLESS...

I also view Batman 217 along with Detective 395 as the unofficial beginning of the Batman Bronze Age. I've been looking for a nice 217 for years and it seems way harder to find than other bronze bat-keys.

Saw this on eBay this morning. Might be what you are looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-217-CGC-8-5-Ow-Pages-Neal-Adams-/121947518052?hash=item1c64a37464:g:itcAAOSwOfxXBTgg

I also view Batman 217 along with Detective 395 as the unofficial beginning of the Batman Bronze Age. I've been looking for a nice 217 for years and it seems way harder to find than other bronze bat-keys.

I think people are sitting on it as an overlooked key...... it certainly shouldn't be any more scarce than surrounding issues. Not much GPA activity either. I was always an Adams snob and only collected books with his art inside..... I was impressed with the art on 217 when I finally got one..... I think it's Novick/ Giordano ..... and it was always a favorite cover. I blew it off for years without reading it, thinking it was another trick or imaginary story. GOD BLESS....

I wonder if something similar is in play with Justice League of America #94?

162130.jpg

For years this was one of my favorite JLAs due to the Deadman crossover, the Neal Adams interior artwork (a few pages, anyway), and the fact that fan-turned-pro Mike Friedrich tied together for the first time the Society of Assassins from the Deadman series and the League of Assassins led by Ras al Ghul.

162129.gif

Only recently has this one started to get pricey, either because of the backstory related to Ras, or else due to the first appearance of Merlyn the Archer, now apparently also featured on the Arrow TV show. :eyeroll:

I wonder if something similar is in play with Justice League of America #94?

162130.jpg

For years this was one of my favorite JLAs due to the Deadman crossover, the Neal Adams interior artwork (a few pages, anyway), and the fact that fan-turned-pro Mike Friedrich tied together for the first time the Society of Assassins from the Deadman series and the League of Assassins led by Ras al Ghul.

162129.gif

Only recently has this one started to get pricey, either because of the backstory related to Ras, or else due to the first appearance of Merlyn the Archer, now apparently also featured on the Arrow TV show. :eyeroll:

^^

Ra's sho' nuff got his peeps............ GOD BLESS....

Saw this on eBay this morning. Might be what you are looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-217-CGC-8-5-Ow-Pages-Neal-Adams-/121947518052?hash=item1c64a37464:g:itcAAOSwOfxXBTgg

D84? I thought Dums weren't supposed to talk :)

That copy has actually been in my watch list for a few weeks, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. Definitely agree that 217 and 395 are the proper foundations for the Bronze Batman shift and high-grade copies seem to be very difficult.

I suppose if one of you doesn't grab the 217 in a couple days, I might. I've got 2 but neither are slabbed. I too, agree that O'Neil is often overlooked in regards to his profound contribution to the BA and it's roots. He was a worthy voice for the times ...... GOD BLESS...

I suppose if one of you doesn't grab the 217 in a couple days, I might. I've got 2 but neither are slabbed. I too, agree that O'Neil is often overlooked in regards to his profound contribution to the BA and it's roots. He was a worthy voice for the times ...... GOD BLESS...

:whistle: It's gone now... :whistle: