• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to avoid spine rolls when storing comics?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Quick question. I was going through my swamp thing comics run and noticed some comics started to develop slight spine rolls. Not all of them just a few of them, it just bugs me a little. So these comics don't all have universal bags and boards, some are using different boards sizes. Will using universal back boards and bags fix this issue?

Im just using your general bag and board, forgot name, but just the cheapest one I guess. I was thinking maybe I need to bag all my comics in full back boards since they are a bit thicker and use current modern bags, will this help fix my problem. All comics are inside med size comic box and some bags are "Wider" than others so some stick out a bit, does not using the same size of bag and board for all comics in this box create this issue? I don't really want to buy full backs and mylites for my filler comics as I only use those for my valuable comic books.

Any tips? Most of these comics are not really worth much, just full runs from the N52, it just bugs me a bit to see them slightly "rolled" so I was wondering how I can help fix this issue.

Thanks

I noticed this a while back too on some of my books. I found that having a modern sized bag and board in front of a silver age bag and board will make the silver age comic roll. I've moved everything to silver age bags and boards.

Do you store all comics in the same position / direction one after the other?

Try storing them by alternating spine side. One will be stored with spine on left then the next one store upside down with spine on right, rinse and repeat.

Most curling happens b/c over a big stack of comics, the left side is thicker by quite a bit than the right side and curling occurs. If you alternate books as suggested above, the two sides even out and curling is less likely to happen.

Do you store all comics in the same position / direction one after the other?

Try storing them by alternating spine side. One will be stored with spine on left then the next one store upside down with spine on right, rinse and repeat.

Most curling happens b/c over a big stack of comics, the left side is thicker by quite a bit than the right side and curling occurs. If you alternate books as suggested above, the two sides even out and curling is less likely to happen.

Yes I store them all in the same direction/position. Will alternate positions on them now, sounds like that can fix my issue.

Thanks!

Yeah, for my long boxes, from the back, I have 25 books facing forward, then 25 facing backwards, and so on. All books in SA-sized bags, no matter what era they are from.

(thumbs u

-slym