• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone help this elem. school library?

7 posts in this topic

O.k, here's the backstory: On Monday morning, I flew to Atlanta as part of a business trip (we were beta-testing our updated software) and struck up a conversation with the woman sitting next to me to pass some of the time. Turns out she's the head librarian at an elementary school in NC. One of the many things we talked about what was we like(d) to read, then (our elem. school days) and now.

I told her that when I was in elem. school, before I got into comic books, I liked reading Alfred Hitchcock & the Three Investigators, and I was VERY into comic books from age 8 to 18, and had recently gotten back into it. Turns out she was into comics when she was young, too, which was pretty surprising coming from someone my mom's age. She was into the Bugs Bunny-type comics, although she didn't know if the publisher was Dell or Gold Key (so I'm not sure if she read comics in the 50's or 60's). And we both lamented the fact that our original collections are now long gone. smile.gif

She asked me if I knew what graphic novels were, because she'd heard of them at conferences and wanted to get some for their library so the kids could read them, but didn't know where to even begin looking to find them. I happened to have a few TPBs with me that I'd checked out from my local library (some reading material for the trip) and showed her what they look like. Her biggest concern, obviously, is that the ones she gets for the school be age-appropriate.

I gave her a few leads on where to find them (ebay, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, etc.) and told her that I post on comic message boards, and that I'd see what I could do to help her and the school out.

So, all that to ask: Does anyone have any age-appropriate TPBs that they'd be willing to donate to the elem. school library? (I'm kind of at a loss as far as a list - Has Marvel put the recent "Marvel Age" titles into TPB format? I know the recent Spider-Man/Doc Ock min-series is in TPB form, although it's much smaller in size than normal TPBs, and DC did the same thing with several issues of Justice League Adventures - I've bought all those for my nephew) I can provide her name and the school's address if anyone can help (she gave me her business card, and the info is public record).

I'd also like to send some Bugs Bunny comics to her as a fellow collector who understands the sentimental value of the comics you used to have. How affordable are the old Bugs Bunny comics?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help.

Chris

This is a bit of an OT reply, but along the subject of students reading graphic novels, my mom is a high school english teacher, and one of the things they are now doing in order to get reluctanct kids to read is giving them graphic novels such as Maus.

Maus should be required reading for most High Schools. I think the depth of the subject matter is a very moving portrayal for children to learn about the Holocaust without being overly explicit.

Maus should be required reading for most High Schools. I think the depth of the subject matter is a very moving portrayal for children to learn about the Holocaust without being overly explicit.

Well said.

I am not sure what would be good for sending to an Elementary school. I would say maybe the stuff that they are used to seeing such as the kiddy spiderman stuff, or X-Men adventures stuff.

Although, I am not sure if they ever put them into trades.