• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking the new CGC case

22 posts in this topic

Anyone tried cracking open the new case yet ?

I just got a few books back with less than desired grades, and was thinking of opening them for re-sale.

Raw mid grade books are better sellers than slabbed 6.0 to 7.5's usually

Not yet, but I can't wait. I can't believe how fake the new label design appears. Every time I see one, I do a double take.

I know there's at least one for sale in GA/SA/BA right now that sure looks like about a two grade over-grade, which is the opposite of your stated issue.

I just got a few books back with less than desired grades, and was thinking of opening them for re-sale.

How to crack them is discussed in the thread on the cases.

Not yet, but I can't wait. I can't believe how fake the new label design appears. Every time I see one, I do a double take.

I know there's at least one for sale in GA/SA/BA right now that sure looks like about a two grade over-grade, which is the opposite of your stated issue.

What do you mean it looks fake?

What do you mean it looks fake?

It looks like the number part is too big for the label. Looks like a monkey-job, not something a semi-professional, let alone a professional designer would come up with. A bad photoshop.

Are you going to assign the same grade as CGC's?

hm Would it matter that much, unless there was undisclosed restoration? Once it's out of the case, it's no longer the assigned grade that CGC gave it. There's no guarantee that it would grade the same, better or worse, if re-submitted. Of course it shouldn't be over-graded, but it will be raw. Caveat emptor. Grading is subjective, both to the seller as well as the buyer. As a buyer, it would be up to me to decide if the grade and price is agreeable.

Who agrees with CGC 100% of the time?

hm Would it matter that much, unless there was undisclosed restoration? Once it's out of the case, it's no longer the assigned grade that CGC gave it. There's no guarantee that it would grade the same, better or worse, if re-submitted. Of course it shouldn't be over-graded, but it will be raw. Caveat emptor. Grading is subjective, both to the seller as well as the buyer. As a buyer, it would be up to me to decide if the grade and price is agreeable.

Who agrees with CGC 100% of the time?

I agree that CGC misses it 80% of the time, both on the over and under. :D

It looks like the number part is too big for the label. Looks like a monkey-job, not something a semi-professional, let alone a professional designer would come up with. A bad photoshop.

Hate it.

Agreed. The grade is comically (no pun intended) large, and it makes the rest of the information looks even smaller and harder to read.

It's like trying to check-out a really hot woman that has man hands. No matter how hard you try to focus on the good parts, your eyes can't help staring at those monster mitts.

13ktzg.jpg

Agreed. The grade is comically (no pun intended) large, and it makes the rest of the information looks even smaller and harder to read.

It's like trying to check-out a really hot woman that has man hands. No matter how hard you try to focus on the good parts, your eyes can't help staring at those monster mitts.

Have you actually looked at one of the new slabs in hand? The grade is nowhere near as prominent as it looks like in scans.

I usually scan my raw books and let people judge for themselves.

I thought it should have been a 9.0 to 9.2, minor crease back right corner.

It came back as a 7.5 !!???? grader notes stating the crease and spine marks with NO color break.

No way that should bring it down to 7.5

I was thinking this but decided to not ask. I'm guessing the books will yield more money since they will be sold as 8.5/9.0s based on his comments above. Very few books do better ungraded if the advertised grade matches the one on the slab (especially a key book).

It came back as a 7.5 !!???? grader notes stating the crease and spine marks with NO color break.

If you're THAT sure, then you're probably still better off sending it in for a regrade, assuming the difference in price from 9.0 to 7.5 is less than the cost of two submissions.

Otherwise, you're probably better off considering the differences between your grading scale and CGC's. Have you sent in hundreds or thousands of issues, and this significant discrepancy is an unusual aberration? (note this is not the same question as "Do your customers/friends/associates generally agree with your grading?") Or are you relatively new to CGC and they way they grade? Take the personal passion and bias out of the equation and try to look at the FACTS objectively, and you'll make the best decision that way.

If you're THAT sure, then you're probably still better off sending it in for a regrade, assuming the difference in price from 9.0 to 7.5 is less than the cost of two submissions.

Otherwise, you're probably better off considering the differences between your grading scale and CGC's. Have you sent in hundreds or thousands of issues, and this significant discrepancy is an unusual aberration? (note this is not the same question as "Do your customers/friends/associates generally agree with your grading?") Or are you relatively new to CGC and they way they grade? Take the personal passion and bias out of the equation and try to look at the FACTS objectively, and you'll make the best decision that way.

I have cracked out hundreds of slabs, and do not understand whatever grading formula CGC uses. Seriously, Roy, Andy, Andy, Mike, Mike, Mike, greggy, and pineapple Bill, etc, etc, are way more consistent, and I have no hesitation at their raws. (Sorry for any I missed.)

13ktzg.jpg

That picture :roflmao: