• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Should Long Boxes be Changed

21 posts in this topic

If this has been dissused before I apologize, I am new to the boards :luhv:

My comics have been stored in the same long boxes for about 10 years, wondering if its a good idea to replace the boxes and if so how often should they be swapped out?

So the acid in the cardboard will not age them?

They are in a room where the temperature and humidity are controlled btw.

I'm not a chemist, but to my knowledge, the non-archival boxes exude acid continually from the point of purchase, so the key is to have a barrier between books and box. Bagging your comics should work.

Some of my boxes are at least 25+ years old, and I have not seen any "contact" degradation or other erosion in the books. However, I do like in a fairly ideal environment for paper preservation.

Some of the glue is coming loose in my oldest boxes, so I just bolster the seams with good packing tape.

I do buy archival boxes for my expensive books, but they are a fairly expensive alternative E Gerber Archival Boxes

To answer the OP; When they lose their integrity.

But on the topic of comic book boxes, BCW makes plastic long and short boxes, and they are SMEXY! (Smart AND expensive...ey)

They come in both long and short varieties as well as your choice of black or white. I don't know if the plastic is inert, but it's probably less acidic gassing than cardboard.

1-BX-SHORT-PL-BLK_1_SHORT-COMIC-STORAGE-BOX---PLASTIC---BLACK.jpg

If you are into easy to move/stow short boxes, and want more options than black and white, but still content with cardboard, BCW has some very attractive print boxes:

51knGmTiIVL._SX425_.jpg

30f0ed1dd87ae814999419143d245919.jpg

BiA-Stack-800px.jpg

51ZIuVFxRjL._SY355_.jpg

1-BX-SHORT-ART-GHOST_1_SHORT%20COMIC%20BOX%20-%20ART%20-%20GHOST.jpg

Varieties include Generic POW!, Capt. America, Galactic Diner, Harley Quinn, Hulk and Batman. As well as Dark Horse Hellboy and Ghost.

-Terry

I have been using corrugated plastic comic boxes from Bags Unlimited for years. Never had to change them and their long boxes are a bit shorter than normal long boxes so they are easier to carry and move.

Long boxes blow chunks.

But as long as your books are in M2's and full backs, degradation of PG isn't an issue.

What is an issue is excessive weight on the spines of books resulting in spine ticks and bends.

Switch over to short boxes....shorts are easier to move and store than longs, as well.

To answer the OP; When they lose their integrity.

But on the topic of comic book boxes, BCW makes plastic long and short boxes, and they are SMEXY! (Smart AND expensive...ey)

They come in both long and short varieties as well as your choice of black or white. I don't know if the plastic is inert, but it's probably less acidic gassing than cardboard.

1-BX-SHORT-PL-BLK_1_SHORT-COMIC-STORAGE-BOX---PLASTIC---BLACK.jpg

If you are into easy to move/stow short boxes, and want more options than black and white, but still content with cardboard, BCW has some very attractive print boxes:

51knGmTiIVL._SX425_.jpg

30f0ed1dd87ae814999419143d245919.jpg

BiA-Stack-800px.jpg

51ZIuVFxRjL._SY355_.jpg

1-BX-SHORT-ART-GHOST_1_SHORT%20COMIC%20BOX%20-%20ART%20-%20GHOST.jpg

Varieties include Generic POW!, Capt. America, Galactic Diner, Harley Quinn, Hulk and Batman. As well as Dark Horse Hellboy and Ghost.

-Terry

Those are cool :)

As a previous poster noted, when the boxes begin to fail. Or when you decide to move the boxes.

Put your comics in short boxes and save your back. Also avoid having the box fall apart and all your books get corner dings. I had to learn that the hard way. :facepalm:

I have been using corrugated plastic comic boxes from Bags Unlimited for years. Never had to change them and their long boxes are a bit shorter than normal long boxes so they are easier to carry and move.

Same. I use the corrugated plastic short boxes for my comics and slabs. Great product. (thumbs u

My boxes are so old that they are the collectors item. Anyone else have any boxes from long defunct Empire Comics in Rochester?

I still have 2 boxes from 1978 the tops are beat and they only have tons of 12 cents Action and Tecs and other stuff that was 25 cents back then.

Thanks for the insight everyone, its much appreciated.

I think I will switch to short boxes, maybe even spend a little more and get those plastic ones, they look nice :grin: