• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Purposely Avoid Surfing Ebay to Save Money?

28 posts in this topic

These days I avoid doing multiple searches on Ebay for different titles, so I don't get forced into buying a book that's not on my want list. For instance, I'll typically just type in Batman #49 to see if that book is available vs. typing in Batman in general and seeing a hundred books displayed in front of me. I do the same thing with Metropolis or Comiclink.

I kind of miss the old days, where I had money to spend, and I'd waste hours upon hours on Ebay or other websites looking and bidding on all sorts of books. I'd go in searching for Sub Mariner #1 in HG, and wind up buying a Superman #80 instead.

This thread spoke directly to me. I've been trying to save money for San Diego, but surfing eBay in my free time diminishes any progress I make.

Same here. Ebay is like a habit for me. If I look for any given comic on Ebay, I'll end up bidding on that or another comic that I spot by accident. The ONLY way for me to avoid making more purchases that I shouldn't make is by simply not surfing Ebay AT ALL. I'm still selling and that's good, but I cannot allow myself to shop. Gotta pay down those credit cards and save for San Diego and Chicago before buying anything else on Ebay. Best way to avoid the problem is by not exposing myself to it at all. No temptations = no unnecessary purchases.

hi.gif

Me

If I dont look.. I wont be tempted.

Besides , that is why I waste an hour or so here a day.. it is free.. and is at least comic related.(mostly)

Ze-

I've kicked the ebay habit for stuff I see. Unless it's within my budget (which has been shot all to hell) and reasonable and in HG, I can ignore it without feeling like I'm going through withdrawals. I use it more for a selling tool to sell my non-hg drek!

eBay's greediness by raising fees has definitely helped me.

No longer for comic books. BUT for movie posters? It is difficult. At least I have been turned on to some good LCSs and have Wondercon and son my first San Diego. Such should last me through the year.

But movie poster shows etc (especially those with my area - 30's and 40's horror) - man they are lacking and ebay is the place.

This thread spoke directly to me. I've been trying to save money for San Diego, but surfing eBay in my free time diminishes any progress I make.

As someone told me, if you hang out in a barbershop, eventually you are gonna' get a haircut.

I am hopelessly addicted. Seriously. Quitting smoking was easier than stopping my eBay fixes. tonofbricks.gif

Yep, Ebay is clinically addictive in a similar way to gambling. How long before Ebay Anonymous counselling groups spring up? crazy.gif

I can send you a 12-step pamphlet on Compulsive Spending if you want. And I'm not kidding. Ebay fits right into it.

I am hopelessly addicted. Seriously. Quitting smoking was easier than stopping my eBay fixes. tonofbricks.gif

Yep, Ebay is clinically addictive in a similar way to gambling. How long before Ebay Anonymous counselling groups spring up? crazy.gif

I can send you a 12-step pamphlet on Compulsive Spending if you want. And I'm not kidding. Ebay fits right into it.

Is there a 12-step pamphlet for being addicted to this Forum? I'd hesitate calling it Forumites Anonymous, as many of the posters on these boards haven't exactly revealed who they really are. blush.gif

Seriously, I'm not surprised about ebay fitting into the compulsive disorder framework - it's just too easy, accessible, and fraught with pitfalls.

I actually consider buying comics on ebay or the boards the same as saving money. When I sell my books, sometimes I make a little, sometimes I lose a little, but at least it's money I didnt spend out on the town.

I prefer to spend money on comics rather than alcohol. In the morning when you have been at the pubs all night you have nothing to show for the money you spent expet a headache and a really minging bathroom. wheras when you buy comics you have them for as long as you keep them. And if yuo sell them you get at least some of your money or if your lucky more. smile.gif

Surfing for comics on eBay is marginalized by me becoming very selective and being a cheapass. Every month I see about 5 comics on eBay that I would like to own. But for every 5 comics I see/bid on, and I end up with 1 or zero. And I sell something to pay for what I buy.

Case in point, the Showcase #43 Dr. No double cover that sold on 3/29. I wanted it at $150 or less, but the bid went from $25 Monday night to $158 Tuesday morning. So I didn't end up even bidding on it. It sold for $200.

If I'm not getting a deal, I'm not getting it. Unless I really want it and even then I won't overpay too much.

Surfing for comics on eBay is marginalized by me becoming very selective and being a cheapass. Every month I see about 5 comics on eBay that I would like to own. But for every 5 comics I see/bid on, and I end up with 1 or zero. And I sell something to pay for what I buy.

Case in point, the Showcase #43 Dr. No double cover that sold on 3/29. I wanted it at $150 or less, but the bid went from $25 Monday night to $158 Tuesday morning. So I didn't end up even bidding on it. It sold for $200.

If I'm not getting a deal, I'm not getting it. Unless I really want it and even then I won't overpay too much.

I'm this way also right now. I recently bought a 1-28 run of the new Hawkman series for $20 but that's about it. I'm tired of seeing eight copies of Jumbo on the site that are all either beat to hell (VF/NM!!) or overpriced VFs. Plus, I need to save some $$ to buy Blazing Bob's high grade Batman Annuals. At least with him I know the VF/NM I buy is going to be a VF/NM.

i look a lot...i mean a good 3-4 hrs of my work day...lol

but i don't buy a lot of books there. maybe there's just a lull, but i'm looking for readers to fill out xmen,jla and gl, but there are never any lots...on or two books for .99 or 1.25 but 5 dollars shipping and that's just silly.

i'm currently arguing with myself about putting a higher bid in on a Flash statue that closes tomorrow, a statue of the Flash 123 cover...really want it, but i just know the high bidder is gonna be at 100$ or something...

heroclix, sports cards and the like i buy more on ebay than i do comics...but i have to feel i'm getting a deal. i set a price i'm willing to pay, including shipping and i snipe it. if i get it, good for me. if i don't, i get over it.