• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ART DAY - 'Patton' 1970 movie poster artwork

32 posts in this topic

Patton was a 1970 American epic biographical war film about U.S. General George S. Patton during World War II. It starred George C. Scott, Karl Malden, Michael Bates and Karl Michael Vogler. It was directed by Franklin J. Schaffner from a -script by Francis Ford Coppola and Edmund H. North, who based their screenplay on the biography Patton: Ordeal and Triumph by Ladislas Farago and Omar Bradley's memoir A Soldier's Story. The film was shot in 65mm Dimension 150 by cinematographer Fred J. Koenekamp and had a music score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Patton won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The opening monologue, delivered by George C. Scott as General Patton with an enormous American flag behind him, remains an iconic and often quoted image in film. The film was successful and, in 2003, Patton was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant".

poster%201.jpg

Original painting for the UK quad poster by Tom Chantrell

That's wonderful!

And I hope you never have any Gen. Montgomery fans over to the house. This one will sting.

That's wonderful!

And I hope you never have any Gen. Montgomery fans over to the house. This one will sting.

I have a 'Montgomery' original by Frank Bellamy, so I should be okay. :wishluck:

That's wonderful!

I have a 'Montgomery' original by Frank Bellamy, so I should be okay. :wishluck:

Don't hang one above the other, just to be sure.

Great piece, and the film's a real favorite of mine!

Thanks! I saw the movie on its original run but hadn't seen it in a while. In anticipation of the poster artwork arriving, I bought the Blu-ray - which I watched yesterday. It still stands up as a terrific war film, with a standout performance by George C Scott, and one of the things I'd forgotten was that Patton had an English bull terrier dog. Co-incidentally, my two pet dogs are EBTs . . .

Patton was a 1970 American epic biographical war film about U.S. General George S. Patton during World War II. It starred George C. Scott, Karl Malden, Michael Bates and Karl Michael Vogler. It was directed by Franklin J. Schaffner from a -script by Francis Ford Coppola and Edmund H. North, who based their screenplay on the biography Patton: Ordeal and Triumph by Ladislas Farago and Omar Bradley's memoir A Soldier's Story. The film was shot in 65mm Dimension 150 by cinematographer Fred J. Koenekamp and had a music score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Patton won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The opening monologue, delivered by George C. Scott as General Patton with an enormous American flag behind him, remains an iconic and often quoted image in film. The film was successful and, in 2003, Patton was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant".

poster%201.jpg

Original painting for the UK quad poster by Tom Chantrell

My family had the soundtrack to Patton which had great music and included the opening monologue. I heard it enough times that I could recite it verbatim, which I was sometimes called upon to do at parties.

I would rather hang the cover to Hardcore in my living room, but that is a good George C Scott one to have as well. (:

Great pickup Terry!

(I love that quote on the poster. Obviously you can quote most of the Patton lines effectively but that is a good one, true too.)

My family had the soundtrack to Patton which had great music and included the opening monologue. I heard it enough times that I could recite it verbatim, which I was sometimes called upon to do at parties.

Yup, classic score, one of Goldsmith's best.

Congrats, Terry!