• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yearnin' for a Byrne-in'?

37 posts in this topic

man i was gonna bust your balls over the way the title block runs downhill, but that's how the original was...obviously, it's all Adkins' fault

It's late and I have to get up early, so I'll do a progressive tomorrow night.

Coff.... Coff... ummm... still waiting.

juggle.gif

Ze-

I forgot to post these the other night. crazy.gif

I started with guidelines for all the text on the page. Lots of text...Lots of lines.

All done in pencil and erased later.

01.jpg

I framed the page and did the text at the top of the page with ZIG pens.

02.jpg

Started work on the newspaper text with ZIGs.

03.jpg

At this point all the text on the page is done. I went ahead with the small Spidey pic on the paper, since it was out there by itself.

05.jpg

Work begins on Iron Fist.

07.jpg

Everything at this point is being done with a brush and Speedball Super Black India Ink.

08.jpg

The finer linework of the cowl and scarf thingies is done with the ZIG pens to keep a more precise line. If this was being shrunk into comic size, I'd probably do it with a brush. But to make the artwork look as nice as possible, I chose to use the smooth lines of the ZIG.

09.jpg

The upper body is complete, and all large black areas filled in.

10.jpg

Lower body is completed with the brush.

11.jpg

The lines in the newspaper are next, done with a ZIG. By the time I'm finished with this picture, I'll be so sick of drawing *lines* I'm ready to pull my hair out.

12.jpg

The ground clutter is next, along with the shadows on the wall behind Iron Fist.

13.jpg

Solid blacks are filled in and the finish work done on the ground clutter.

14.jpg

Here was the tough part. I had to figure out a way to make a crisp edge where the shadow area met the spotlight reflection on the wall. I used airbrush frisket paper and cut out a circle and stuck it to the board. Drew in the shadows, making sure I crossed well over the edge of the frisket paper. Then peeled off the frisket to reveal the crisp edge it created.

I was apprehensive of even trying this, but it ended up working out better than I thought it would.

The whole time I was inking this page, I was dreading this part. I knew it would ruin all the work if I messed it up, so the pressure was high. I could just envision peeling up the frisket paper and the paper underneath coming up with it. crazy.gif

15.jpg

The finishing touch was the rain throughout the page. As I said before...at this point I was sick of drawing *lines*. frustrated.gif

16.jpg

Nice Dice.

Wow.. that was alot of lines! foreheadslap.gif

And I can only imagine how it felt to peel back that frisket, no way to know till you start to peel if it was gonna work..... DREAD... is not a fun sensation.

Really neat to see thow it starts out as a blank page.. then slowly reveals itself.

Nice job...thnx for sharing

Ze-

How long did it take, start to finish?

Jim

I didn't time it or anything, but I'd estimate this one took 20 hours, give or take. crazy.gif

lol.. I think he meant to say you are the "shiznit"

confused-smiley-013.gif

then whats "shizzle"??? confused-smiley-013.gif