• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My comic shop grading raw books

14 posts in this topic

I have noticed recently that my comic shop has books listed raw that are graded way lower then the books should be graded at. I am no expert grader nor can you accurately grade a book from scans but I have seen hundreds of books listed on their site graded and raw and the raw book are almost always way under graded. Is this just my inability to grade or is there a reason they do this that I am unaware of?

you cannot grade from a scan. all a scan tells you, maybe, is what the best grade is possibly going to be for the book, subtle stuff may not get picked up in the scan and that subtle stuff can knock things down. so my guess is that the MYCS grades are accounting for these subtle things you don't see on your computer monitor.

Two of my LCS's grade raw books lower for a couple of reasons:

1. Their return on Raw books is greater than graded books

2. They are able to sell them quicker which gives a quicker profit

Now, this is usually done on copper, silver, bronze and golden age keys. They aren't grading moderns and are selling those as soon as they get them... Because Pump and Dump!

I bought some cheap raws last year from mcs. They were only accurately graded, not undergraded sadly

I've been buying cheap readers from them lately. In one order I got a copy of Marvel 2-in-1 63 graded at 3.0

The comic is quite a bit higher grade than 3.0. It's approaching high grade. Might have been a mistake. On the other hand, sometimes comics from them are over graded.

I think it's like any large volume dealer, sometimes stuff just doesn't grade out properly, either on the plus or minus side. (shrug) It's understandable when dealing with high volumes of low value comics. Overall, I'm happy with their grading and I couldn't say that about them in the past. They have improved.

I've been buying cheap readers from them lately. In one order I got a copy of Marvel 2-in-1 63 graded at 3.0

The comic is quite a bit higher grade than 3.0. It's approaching high grade. Might have been a mistake. On the other hand, sometimes comics from them are over graded.

I think it's like any large volume dealer, sometimes stuff just doesn't grade out properly, either on the plus or minus side. (shrug) It's understandable when dealing with high volumes of low value comics. Overall, I'm happy with their grading and I couldn't say that about them in the past. They have improved.

Been doing this myself lately. Some books I get I'm surprised with how strict they're graded, others I tend to agree with. They're just reader copies for my collection though, so if I can get them cheap I'm happy because the grade isn't so much an issue with them.

I bought a raw copy of SAGA #1 graded at 9.4 2 years ago

it just came back from CGC a 9.8 Very fortunate I guess.

Too bad you didn't buy the raw 9.8, it would have come back 10.1