• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOC SAVAGE starring Dwayne Johnson (2017) ??

22 posts in this topic

The Rock Possibly Confirms Doc Savage Role

A few weeks ago, Shane Black revealed exactly who he imagines playing the titular hero when his adaptation of Doc Savage comes around: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

“I would very much like to do Doc with a fellow named Dwayne Johnson if we can make that work,” Black said back in March. “I made a decision that Dwayne is the guy.”

It looks like those words have gotten passed along to Johnson as he is taking to Instagram to tease his involvement with a Shane Black movie in 2017.

Xe7BuuQ.jpg

The Rock Possibly Confirms Doc Savage Role

A few weeks ago, Shane Black revealed exactly who he imagines playing the titular hero when his adaptation of Doc Savage comes around: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

“I would very much like to do Doc with a fellow named Dwayne Johnson if we can make that work,” Black said back in March. “I made a decision that Dwayne is the guy.”

It looks like those words have gotten passed along to Johnson as he is taking to Instagram to tease his involvement with a Shane Black movie in 2017.

Xe7BuuQ.jpg

I hope.

:wishluck:

Oh wow, that looked horrible.

It wasn't good. I saw it in the theater when it came out. I was a kid and was introduced through Marvel's comics and magazine adaptations, and read the first paperback in the series.

What seems to have happened, though, is that the studio did a quickie nostalgia cash-in with a campy tone rather than a more faithful adaptation that took the source material seriously. (For example, the musical score was based on John Philip Sousa marches.)

I loves me some Rock, but his tendency to wink at the camera will have to be controlled. Let's have faith in Shane Black, though. I liked "Iron Man 3."

It's official!

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Signs On For Shane Black’s Doc Savage

rocksavage-184245.jpg

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson confirmed via Instagram he'll be playing Doc Savage in an upcoming film. The popular wrestler turned actor posted on Instagram this morning that he'll star in Shane Black's upcoming adaptation featuring the famous pulp adventurer, which will be set in the 1930s. "For all comic book fans you already know the world's first superhero (pre-dating Superman) is the "Man of Bronze" himself Clark "Doc" Savage," Johnson wrote via a Instagram photo showing himself, Black and several other producers of the new film.

khq0OYl.png

:whee:

Man, I love Doc Savage and have for almost forty years after my dad got me the Golden Press series of hardback books when I was six. I've since completed my Bantam set and have read all of them.

Happy they are trying another feature film and I love The Rock, but just do not see this as a good fit AT ALL. Doc is a brilliant, smart, serious, no-nonsense guy without a speck of humor in his character makeup. I'm struggling to think of one example in The Rock's body of work where he played that type of guy. I just don't think this character is in his range. I'm pretty bummed about this casting, honestly.

Despite being fairly faithful to the source material (the campyness aside) the George Pal film was pretty awful. Hopefully they won't repeat that tradition.

Oh wow, that looked horrible.

It ended up feeling like you were watching a boring, really cheap TV movie where nothing much actually happened, not something produced for the big screen.

The 1975 movie is a favorite of mine, and there's a shocking number of other movies from the mid-70s that have production values marginally better than a crappy network TV show. I just remember being thrilled as a 11 year old to see the character on film. That said, I've been keeping myself from watching the movie out of fear of destroying a childhood memory.

The 1975 movie is a favorite of mine, and there's a shocking number of other movies from the mid-70s that have production values marginally better than a crappy network TV show. I just remember being thrilled as a 11 year old to see the character on film. That said, I've been keeping myself from watching the movie out of fear of destroying a childhood memory.

Yeah, the 1975 movie was good for an 11 year old Doc Savage fan. I was 7 when it came out, and loved it simply for the fact that all of the characters were actually in the movie and the Doc logo from the Bantam paperbacks was all over everything (first shows up on the snowmobile he's riding to the Fortress of Solitude). Plus, they (basically) got the story right from the first Doc adventure.

Unfortunately, there is not much by the way of accurate depictions of the original stories and pulps in ANY medium. I'd love to see an actual period piece movie that was identical to the minutest of details, but I'm not sure that they'd be able to put enough butts in the seats to justify how much the budget would need to be to pull that off. And that's not even figuring out who to cast.

:wishluck: This movie could be really good, or it could totally blow !!

Let us hope that director Black keeps it serious. If I remember correctly, a lot of people died in the books. I mean, this is the pulp fiction era we are talking about and it was brutal.

Man, I love Doc Savage and have for almost forty years after my dad got me the Golden Press series of hardback books when I was six. I've since completed my Bantam set and have read all of them.

Happy they are trying another feature film and I love The Rock, but just do not see this as a good fit AT ALL. Doc is a brilliant, smart, serious, no-nonsense guy without a speck of humor in his character makeup. I'm struggling to think of one example in The Rock's body of work where he played that type of guy. I just don't think this character is in his range. I'm pretty bummed about this casting, honestly.

Despite being fairly faithful to the source material (the campyness aside) the George Pal film was pretty awful. Hopefully they won't repeat that tradition.

hm

Doc was physically and mentally trained from birth by his father and a team of scientists to become the perfect human specimen with a genius level intellect. His heightened senses are beyond comprehension. He can even identify a women's perfume from half a mile away. He is literally the master of everything.

But here's the #1 reason I'm excited to become Doc Savage.. HE'S A F*CKING HILARIOUS WEIRDO!

Confidently, yet innocently he has zero social graces whatsoever due to his upbringing so every interaction he has with someone is direct, odd, often uncomfortable and amazingly hilarious.

After speaking for hours w/ Shane Black I can see why the creator of Superman took only the best parts of Doc Savage and leaving the "weirdo" part behind. But to us, it's that "weirdo" part that makes Clark "Doc" Savage dope! Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one of a kind character.

Having not read the original stuff, does this fit in line with the character?

The original Doc Savage movie is finally going to be released on blu-ray as of November 1st.

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze [blu-ray]

FS6bjAr.png

Actors: Ron Ely;Paul Gleason;Bill Lucking;Michael Miller;Eldon Quick;Darrell Zwerling

Directors: Michael Anderson

Format: Blu-ray

Region: All Regions

Number of discs: 1

Studio: Warner Archive Collection

DVD Release Date: November 1, 2016

Run Time: 101 minutes

IRON MAN 3 Director Shane Black Is Still Hopeful To Get The DOC SAVAGE Movie Made

Doc_Savage.jpg

The last little bit of news that came out about the big screen adaptation of Doc Savage was that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had signed on to play the "Man of Bronze." Fast forward a year, and fans are still scratching their head wondering, "Is this film ever going to get made?"

While chatting with Pure Grain Audio, director Shane Black talked about what his next project would be after The Predator, and whether it might possibly be Doc Savage. "I don’t know right now because I’m busy editing Predator," he explained. "Editing has begun, so that’s a process not of weeks, but months. Predator is still a focus and will be until November at least. Along the way, I’ll see where things land and the chips fall. We talked about Doc Savage with Dwayne Johnson, but Dwayne’s dance card is pretty full.

Black then went on to explain that the deck seems stacked against them to get the film into production, but says he would be willing to do some juggling of his schedule if it meant he could get it done. "If there’s a slot for us, I don’t know. There might be, I think he wants to do it but you don’t always win. So if that’s the case I might have to shift to something. I’m open to it and I’ll just roll with it. In the meantime, if I have an idea that I think I want to sit down and write by myself, I’ll do that too. The only thing I want to create is something prolific, especially as I get older. I don’t know what I’ll do next after Predator, but I do know that I owe it to myself to first and foremost is to be prolific and not just drift," he said.