• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bindery Tears as Production Related Flaws

10 posts in this topic

Hey I have a really nice copy of Sandman 1 that has been pressed.

There are two bindery tears in the top and bottom left corners off the front cover.

Will these be considered production related defects?

I know CGC does view them as such, but how bad is too bad?

V4D2Hhc.jpg

QjEA20a.jpg

MSyiMEE.jpg

c9t8zZk.jpg

- or -

Bindery tears like that are super common on 80s DC/Vertigo books - particular Sandman #1s. They're treated as production defects and will only affect the grade if they're very severe. Yours look pretty standard for this book, so shouldn't take it out of 9.8 contention.

It's caused from the book being trimmed, because the book goes through a trimmer down a conveyer belt (and no, not a hand trimmer like Ewert did) much like if you hand saw a piece of wood, you don't get a super smooth cut at the start and finish.

Turning into a PGM thread but I'm calling it a 9.6.

Yes I've seen a bunch of 9.8's with bindery tears and some this bad but the rest of the book has to be immaculate. The bottom corner also has some severe bindery issues. I think I see what appears to be at least 2 spine ticks which appear to break color on the far left of the 3rd photo and 1 other that doesn't. Might just be the zoomed photo and angle of light but if those are apparent in-hand then this puppy could be fated for a 9.6. The bindery tear also appears to propagate into a slight spine split up to 1/8" but again, could just be the zoomed in photo. Maybe a 9.8 on a very good day.