• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 66 Hot Book

51 posts in this topic

The hottest title right now is Tec-Bats long overdue.

Any Batman title is pretty much hot right now. Batman has always been a huge seller and just seems to continue to gain momentum.

Speaking of hot Tecs, just won a 45 today on ebay. I've been wanting this one for a while.

EBay Detective Comics 45

It is missing the centerfold, but I thought it was weird that the price ended one dollar below my max. I checked the bids, and there is one bidder with 10 feedback making a bunch of bids in last 24 hrs, but no history beyond that. Does that seem like shill bidding to anyone? And if so, what to do? I'm trying to figure out what to do before I pay. I'm not opposed to the price, since I bid it, but it just seems weird. Thanks!

My apologies if this isn't the best spot for this inquiry.

Speaking of hot Tecs, just won a 45 today on ebay. I've been wanting this one for a while.

EBay Detective Comics 45

It is missing the centerfold, but I thought it was weird that the price ended one dollar below my max. I checked the bids, and there is one bidder with 10 feedback making a bunch of bids in last 24 hrs, but no history beyond that. Does that seem like shill bidding to anyone? And if so, what to do? I'm trying to figure out what to do before I pay. I'm not opposed to the price, since I bid it, but it just seems weird. Thanks!

Did you ever do any business with Greg Manning Auctions? In a 2001 auction, I put in bids on four books: aggressive bids on three, and a tepid bid on another. I did not win the latter, but I won all of the first three for almost exactly 90% of my max. I came close to telling them to pound sand—in fact I came close to filing a fraud complaint with the New Jersey Attorney General's office.

EBay Detective Comics 45

It sure looks like shilling of the implicit reserve type. Because the (apparent) shill bid with two seconds remaining, he (presumably actually the seller) had to be willing to keep the book at that price.

Another indication that even sniping doesn't entirely protect you against shilling.

Of course it's a blazing hot book! It's only the 3rd appearance of Simon and Kirby's Boy Commandos!

I was a huge S&K fan when I first started collecting GA books in the late 1960s and I eagerly tracked down Boy Commandos appearances. But, man, are there deader GA characters these days?