• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 66 Hot Book

51 posts in this topic

That Tec 66 was one beauty of a book. It baffles me that came back a 5.5

I'm convinced with it being an old label and no history of pressing that I'm aware of, the buyer could press/clean and resubmit for at least a 6.0. I hope the best for him with it!

That Tec 66 was one beauty of a book. It baffles me that came back a 5.5

Cliché but I'll use it anyway, "old label goodness".

I'm convinced with it being an old label and no history of pressing that I'm aware of, the buyer could press/clean and resubmit for at least a 6.0. I hope the best for him with it!

Yup, looks like a 6.0/6.5 to me. Hence surprised at lukewarm bidding.

Even with the new and much tougher grading standards that CGC now has in place? :gossip:

From what I am seeing on the boards here, it sounds as though CGC is in a grading hissy right now. Not sure if it applies to the mid-grades or to GA though. (shrug)

Speaking of hot Tecs, just won a 45 today on ebay. I've been wanting this one for a while.

EBay Detective Comics 45

It is missing the centerfold, but I thought it was weird that the price ended one dollar below my max. I checked the bids, and there is one bidder with 10 feedback making a bunch of bids in last 24 hrs, but no history beyond that. Does that seem like shill bidding to anyone? And if so, what to do? I'm trying to figure out what to do before I pay. I'm not opposed to the price, since I bid it, but it just seems weird. Thanks!

My apologies if this isn't the best spot for this inquiry.

It sure looks like shilling of the implicit reserve type. Because the (apparent) shill bid with two seconds remaining, he (presumably actually the seller) had to be willing to keep the book at that price.

Another indication that even sniping doesn't entirely protect you against shilling.

45 is one of the Top 10 best TEC covers IMO. Funny thing though is this listing was re-listed from last week. Maybe it was a non payer but I believe it was put up again the very next day