• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need recommendation for resto detection blacklight

9 posts in this topic

I'd like to see others weigh in on this, since the flashlight I use was arrived at through pure luck.

At first, I tried a very cheap 1-led keychain "UV" light found on eBay, and it turned out not to be real UV, but just a purple bulb.

Then, I bought a Tvoka Black Light UV Flashlight Urine Detector on eBay for around 12 bucks. It works best when you turn out all the other regular lights in the area, and it creates a glow on color touch, stains and scotch tape. It pointed out a SLIVER of tape on a book the other day that I had not noticed for months with the naked eye.

So, anyone else have any advice to offer on this topic?

I wouldn't mind picking up a decent maglite style black light to toss in the briefcase, and another to leave on the work table in the Basement Crypt of Comics?

Any other recommendations?

I had a guy at my booth use his phone with a black light app. I have never been able to find it, but it is out there.

there is a "hack" with tape and sharpie markers - where you layer the colors in front of the flashlight and get something similar to a blacklight. No idea if this is close to the effect of a real UV bulb -

I had a guy at my booth use his phone with a black light app. I have never been able to find it, but it is out there.

there is a "hack" with tape and sharpie markers - where you layer the colors in front of the flashlight and get something similar to a blacklight. No idea if this is close to the effect of a real UV bulb -

It was an app on his cellphone, once activated it turned his screen into a black light and he was scanning the covers of books in front of me to detect color touch. To see if it actually worked I grabbed a book I had that I knew had color touch and the black light made it far more visible.

I have been searching for this app for my own use to no avail as I have a Samgsung, his phone was an Iphone.

It was an app on his cellphone, once activated it turned his screen into a black light and he was scanning the covers of books in front of me to detect color touch. To see if it actually worked I grabbed a book I had that I knew had color touch and the black light made it far more visible.

I have been searching for this app for my own use to no avail as I have a Samgsung, his phone was an Iphone.

Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison. Depending on the output spectrum of the phone (flashlight hack or backlight LEDS )- you may not be able to fully duplicate the best blacklight - but they (as you saw) may be able to get close enough for detection.

In each case you are pretty much adding a filter to try and narrow down to the UV spectrum. The flashlight hack - with light filters - the display app - with the display color as the filter ( and possibly altering the output of the backlight element ).

I would expect that the phone app or hack - will help detect but a stand alone light will hive off a more intense light beam ( brighter UV blacklight if you can really call it brighter, lol) -

I actually have a handheld light on order - I will try the free apple app and see if there is a detectable difference in how color touch pops.