• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheapest/best mailing options for books?

31 posts in this topic

I read the thread on packing the books but when it comes to who delivers them and with what service what is the best way? Obviously I want them to be safe and beyond a certain value I'm certainly going to insure them. But I also want a service that does that for the cheapest price. I was getting ready to ship via USPS 2-day Priority Mail. For 1 slabbed book. It seems a little expensive, though. Is that what I am supposed to be doing? What shipping services do you guys use and recommend for price and effectiveness?

I should add that I'm selling primarily CGC slabbed books worth $300 plus with quite a few in the $1000 + category. But I will eventually be selling some books more in the $50-$100 category. I'm kind of assuming the shipping choices are different depending upon the value of the book.

Thanks and if this is covered somewhere else I apologize.

Tom

16 oz and under can be shipped First Class. I can get two raw comics, well protected, in a parcel weighing 16 oz or less.

Slabs, they are gonna take more protection, so you'll probably just want to go with Priority Mail. You can get Parcel Post, but it's slower & costs about as much as Priority, so why not get it there possibly quicker? Plus, there's $100 insurance included in Priority. Of course, $300 and up comics will need extra insurance, but that's the cost of doing business.

Also, depending on where you live & where your buyer lives, you can use the Flat-Rate shipping boxes so you won't get screwed. I usually put $12 for S&H in my eBay auctions when selling slabs, as most of the time it's right at that or a little under, and if it's all the way across the country (I am in NC), then I use the Flat-Rate box (Medium, I think) and it costs $12.65 - and the good thing about the F-R box is that you dont' have to worry about the weight, so I am putting multiple sheets of cardboard in it to protect the slab. Pretty sure my F-R boxes, with one slab, weighs 4-5 pounds, where if I am using the double-box technique, one slab's parcel weighs just under 3 pounds.

-slym

It usually depends on where you are located in relation to the buyer.

There is no cheapest and best. The closest thing to a sweet spot I've found is boxed USPS priority mail. Of course, depending on weight and where you're shipping, your mileage may vary.

He calls me a troll, and he's the one spamming the board.

giggle.gif

-slym

#followingmearoundtotroll

#slymtheboardtroll

Remember when he left the boards for a while? :cloud9:

slabs - priority mail

There is a decent box that they will ship to you for free - flat rate can work - but there is a general box that fits and then you pay by weight- add in a couple cardboard supports and bubble wrap - you are under 2 lbs and pay 8.50 or so - plus insurance and sig confirmation if needed

16 oz and under can be shipped First Class. I can get two raw comics, well protected, in a parcel weighing 16 oz or less.

Slabs, they are gonna take more protection, so you'll probably just want to go with Priority Mail. You can get Parcel Post, but it's slower & costs about as much as Priority, so why not get it there possibly quicker? Plus, there's $100 insurance included in Priority. Of course, $300 and up comics will need extra insurance, but that's the cost of doing business.

Also, depending on where you live & where your buyer lives, you can use the Flat-Rate shipping boxes so you won't get screwed. I usually put $12 for S&H in my eBay auctions when selling slabs, as most of the time it's right at that or a little under, and if it's all the way across the country (I am in NC), then I use the Flat-Rate box (Medium, I think) and it costs $12.65 - and the good thing about the F-R box is that you dont' have to worry about the weight, so I am putting multiple sheets of cardboard in it to protect the slab. Pretty sure my F-R boxes, with one slab, weighs 4-5 pounds, where if I am using the double-box technique, one slab's parcel weighs just under 3 pounds.

-slym

I think there is $50 insurance included in Priority Mail, not $100.

$100 insurance is included only if one qualifies to be a "Commercial Plus" customer (which I'm not completely sure exactly what that is, but I think one has to have a special agreement of some sort with USPS and/or have documented a certain minimum weight and/or number of packages volume in the prior year, or something).

slabs - priority mail

There is a decent box that they will ship to you for free - flat rate can work - but there is a general box that fits and then you pay by weight- add in a couple cardboard supports and bubble wrap - you are under 2 lbs and pay 8.50 or so - plus insurance and sig confirmation if needed

I believe that price of $8.50 for under 2 lbs would only for relatively shorter distances. For all the way across the country, I think it would be more.

(Some one please correct me if this is not correct).

I think there is $50 insurance included in Priority Mail, not $100.

$100 insurance is included only if one qualifies to be a "Commercial Plus" customer (which I'm not completely sure exactly what that is, but I think one has to have a special agreement of some sort with USPS and/or have documented a certain minimum weight and/or number of packages volume in the prior year, or something).

Every time I make a shiping label through eBay, it tells me I have $100 insurance with Priority Mail. If it's different other ways, pardons for my mistake.

(thumbs u

-slym

He calls me a troll, and he's the one spamming the board.

giggle.gif

#followingmearoundtotroll

#slymtheboardtroll

It's called looking at all the new posts & threads.

You, however, are trolling me with this everywhere. Be my guest, you are now on my ignore list.

Have fun!

:)

-slym

slabs - priority mail

I believe that price of $8.50 for under 2 lbs would only for relatively shorter distances. For all the way across the country, I think it would be more.

(Some one please correct me if this is not correct).

True - it can vary based on distance. I have no shipments now to check costs -

From CT to CA, I'm paying $10.99 Priority Mail 2 lbs Box. (15 x 12 x 3) Same box and weight to NY, I'm paying $5.40.

As far as cheapest? Priority Mail is the cheapest, Best way? I'd go with UPS.

It really depends on a number of factors as far as expenses, In this day and age, customers want free shipping, as well as 50-75% off your asking price on top of that :)

More expensive books like how you ship, I use 16 X 12 X 4 inch boxes with either bubble wrap or crammed with Kraft paper, whatever I have on hand. It's either pack it and mail it right the first time or give the money back :/

The thread at the top of Comics General, called "How to Pack Your Books for Shipping," has a lot of this information, but I'll post it here anyway.

I recommend USPS for shipping slabs, using the 1092 and 1095 shipping box method. Here are some relevant links:

-- My image-based guide to packaging slabs in USPS boxes

Here are links to the 1092 and the 1095 boxes on the USPS.com site:

I haven't used UPS or FedEx for shipping, and as far as I know they're probably fine and might even have better prices in some cases. However, USPS has the convenience of offering the above boxes for free. Also, you can use the eBay/PayPal automated shipping system to pay postage and label your packages for shipping from your home computer and printer. Also, USPS will pick up your packages at home so you don't have to make a trip to the post office, and you can schedule a USPS pickup if you have a limited window of time.