• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheapest/best mailing options for books?

31 posts in this topic

The thread at the top of Comics General, called "How to Pack Your Books for Shipping," has a lot of this information, but I'll post it here anyway.

I recommend USPS for shipping slabs, using the 1092 and 1095 shipping box method. Here are some relevant links:

-- My image-based guide to packaging slabs in USPS boxes

Here are links to the 1092 and the 1095 boxes on the USPS.com site:e

I haven't used UPS or FedEx for shipping, and as far as I know they're probably fine and might even have better prices in some cases. However, USPS has the convenience of offering the above boxes for free. Also, you can use the eBay/PayPal automated shipping system to pay postage and label your packages for shipping from your home computer and printer. Also, USPS will pick up your packages at home so you don't have to make a trip to the post office, and you can schedule a USPS pickup if you have a limited window of time.

This is fantastic. I was looking for.this thread earlier today and couldn't find it. I saw the non CGC shipping method in the moon's thread but that was it.

For slabs? 1092 1095

Bubble wrap...

But !!

This is what I do...

I throw a small lining of packing peanuts into the larger USPS box to act as a bumper between the two boxes... then before I seal up the larger box on the other end I lay down some more packing peanuts...

The combo box is still under 2lbs for shipping purposes.

For slabs? 1092 1095

Bubble wrap...

But !!

This is what I do...

I throw a small lining of packing peanuts into the larger USPS box to act as a bumper between the two boxes... then before I seal up the larger box on the other end I lay down some more packing peanuts...

The combo box is still under 2lbs for shipping purposes.

This is exactly how I package slabs as well. (thumbs u

16 oz and under can be shipped First Class. I can get two raw comics, well protected, in a parcel weighing 16 oz or less.

Slabs, they are gonna take more protection, so you'll probably just want to go with Priority Mail. You can get Parcel Post, but it's slower & costs about as much as Priority, so why not get it there possibly quicker? Plus, there's $100 insurance included in Priority. Of course, $300 and up comics will need extra insurance, but that's the cost of doing business.

Also, depending on where you live & where your buyer lives, you can use the Flat-Rate shipping boxes so you won't get screwed. I usually put $12 for S&H in my eBay auctions when selling slabs, as most of the time it's right at that or a little under, and if it's all the way across the country (I am in NC), then I use the Flat-Rate box (Medium, I think) and it costs $12.65 - and the good thing about the F-R box is that you dont' have to worry about the weight, so I am putting multiple sheets of cardboard in it to protect the slab. Pretty sure my F-R boxes, with one slab, weighs 4-5 pounds, where if I am using the double-box technique, one slab's parcel weighs just under 3 pounds.

I think there is $50 insurance included in Priority Mail, not $100.

$100 insurance is included only if one qualifies to be a "Commercial Plus" customer (which I'm not completely sure exactly what that is, but I think one has to have a special agreement of some sort with USPS and/or have documented a certain minimum weight and/or number of packages volume in the prior year, or something).

Every time I make a shiping label through eBay, it tells me I have $100 insurance with Priority Mail. If it's different other ways, pardons for my mistake.

(thumbs u

-slym

True. I always ship through eBay, and it always gives me free $100 insurance coverage with Priority Mail.

But last week, I was on vacation and had to ship from the local post office, where the counter person told me it's only $50 free coverage with Priority Mail. So I had to pay the difference. It wasn't a huge amount, but I'll definitely stick to shipping through eBay going forward.

Using ebay shipping - probably one of the better options. Ebay and paypal both give you a discount for purchasing the postage through their site (better deal than USPS online) - and it appears that ebay gets $100 insurance instead of 50.

single slab shipments - 2lbs and under priority

using paypal - Chicago to NC was 8.15

to FL 8.15

to CO 8.15

tx --- 8.15

I do not have a reference for the longest route (CA) -- but it is pretty consistent.

16 oz and under can be shipped First Class. I can get two raw comics, well protected, in a parcel weighing 16 oz or less.

Slabs, they are gonna take more protection, so you'll probably just want to go with Priority Mail. You can get Parcel Post, but it's slower & costs about as much as Priority, so why not get it there possibly quicker? Plus, there's $100 insurance included in Priority. Of course, $300 and up comics will need extra insurance, but that's the cost of doing business.

Also, depending on where you live & where your buyer lives, you can use the Flat-Rate shipping boxes so you won't get screwed. I usually put $12 for S&H in my eBay auctions when selling slabs, as most of the time it's right at that or a little under, and if it's all the way across the country (I am in NC), then I use the Flat-Rate box (Medium, I think) and it costs $12.65 - and the good thing about the F-R box is that you dont' have to worry about the weight, so I am putting multiple sheets of cardboard in it to protect the slab. Pretty sure my F-R boxes, with one slab, weighs 4-5 pounds, where if I am using the double-box technique, one slab's parcel weighs just under 3 pounds.

I think there is $50 insurance included in Priority Mail, not $100.

$100 insurance is included only if one qualifies to be a "Commercial Plus" customer (which I'm not completely sure exactly what that is, but I think one has to have a special agreement of some sort with USPS and/or have documented a certain minimum weight and/or number of packages volume in the prior year, or something).

Every time I make a shiping label through eBay, it tells me I have $100 insurance with Priority Mail. If it's different other ways, pardons for my mistake.

(thumbs u

True. I always ship through eBay, and it always gives me free $100 insurance coverage with Priority Mail.

But last week, I was on vacation and had to ship from the local post office, where the counter person told me it's only $50 free coverage with Priority Mail. So I had to pay the difference. It wasn't a huge amount, but I'll definitely stick to shipping through eBay going forward.

:D

-slym

Can someone help me out here? Made a recent purchase from the US but when I track it I'm told tracking is unavailable for this product to UK. Any idea what Intl USPS service the seller would have used? Thanks

Screenshot_2016_05_23_21_31_19.jpg

This is a duplicate post so will delete the one which doesn't receive a response the soonest :thumbsup:

they have many options for US-UK - but most likely would be first class international -

I have NOT shipped many items to the UK - but I believe that the package needs insurance for a tracking number to be "live" - I did a quick ship query on the USPS site - and the only option that did not have insurance by default ( I believe ) - was the 1st class. This also was the cheapest - so it is the likely choice. The second cheapest - was priority mail international - at 2x the price.

Can someone help me out here? Made a recent purchase from the US but when I track it I'm told tracking is unavailable for this product to UK. Any idea what Intl USPS service the seller would have used? Thanks

This is a duplicate post so will delete the one which doesn't receive a response the soonest :thumbsup:

they have many options for US-UK - but most likely would be first class international -

I have NOT shipped many items to the UK - but I believe that the package needs insurance for a tracking number to be "live" - I did a quick ship query on the USPS site - and the only option that did not have insurance by default ( I believe ) - was the 1st class. This also was the cheapest - so it is the likely choice. The second cheapest - was priority mail international - at 2x the price.

Thanks, tracking info from US to UK usually always seems to be visible but he added this tracking info to the ebay transaction which seemed to end once it left the US. I thought global priority offered full tracking all the way to Intl destination but I'm not sure. The dude is an oddball though and has not been easy to converse with to say the least... I did request sending it fully tracked/recorded because it seems logical for a $500+ item (shrug)

Thanks, tracking info from US to UK usually always seems to be visible but he added this tracking info to the ebay transaction which seemed to end once it left the US. I thought global priority offered full tracking all the way to Intl destination but I'm not sure. The dude is an oddball though and has not been easy to converse with to say the least... I did request sending it fully tracked/recorded because it seems logical for a $500+ item (shrug)

did he agree to the request?

Cheapest way? Throw a shipping label on the comic an call it good.

Has happened, will happen again

Agreed... the phrase "cheapest" sends shivers down the spines of collectors instilling an instant lack of confidence.

Most collectors are willing to pay what it takes to get the merchandise delivered in the best possible condition.

Personally, I refrain from wanting to deal with buyers who are short sighted and nickle/dime the cost of shipping.

An 8oz comic properly boxed up can weigh over 1 lb, just as an 8oz piece of comic art shouldn't be rolled up and would weigh over 2 lbs to deliver flat without bending.

As a buyer, I look at the shipping terms, and even if the S&H has more "H" for the handling fees (cost of packaging material etc.) I look at the "all in" price of the purchase. When I see a low shipping fee, I get nervous that the seller does not know how to package properly and let them know I'm willing to pay more to ship it the right way if they're intending to ship it in sub-standard packaging.

It's a very penny wise, pound foolish approach to try to "save" on shipping (aside from buying multiple items to be shipped at once) on both sides as a seller and as a buyer, especially for international deliveries where the item can get damaged in transit while being delivered.

I tend to like to be able to kick the heck out of a package as the drop test for iron clad sturdy packaging to assure it can survive the worst handling, and then also mummify it to avoid moisture getting inside too.