• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko chewed me out

105 posts in this topic

Did Ditko create anything that was a success after Spider Man and Dr Strange? No.

I think that's what he's mainly peeved about.

What about Speedball? That might not be at the same iconic status as Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, but I'd call it a "successful creation."

I don't know you can buy Speedball 1-10 for 19.99 and no one talks about that character. I don't know if that's a success.

I disagree with the assessment of Ditko's views and even what he posits in his letter. He clearly cares. A LOT.

And while he's been strident about his philosophical beliefs, it doesn't take much to see that's just a fig leaf for some rather deep disagreements with his former employer over his most well-known and arguably greatest creation.

That being said, what else should one expect when writing to ask him about what Jack Kirby's involvement was in the character? I mean, ye Gods, one of theories floated out there is Ditko was basically the yes-man who did what Lee wanted, when Kirby wouldn't on the book. Its an enormously loaded question to ask someone like Ditko who's been stewing in all this and getting questions about it nigh on a half century.

I'm amazed he didn't mail you back poop in a box.

I don't know you can buy Speedball 1-10 for 19.99 and no one talks about that character. I don't know if that's a success.

So, only the value of the comics determines a creation's "success." I mean, the fact Speedball went on and became a member of the New Warriors and is probably one of the more memorable character of the late 80's/early 90's Marvel, would suggest the creation was a success. And he's still being used in the comics today. I think longevity is a much better indicator of success, than the speculative value of a comic is.

Major and important characters always have a high value for their #1.

That's just the way it is.

But that wasn't the point, was it? You said Ditko never created anything successful, after Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. Speedball has been successful (not to the degree of the other two mentioned, but success by any other name....).

It's okay for you to admit you were in error. The universe won't collapse in on itself, if you did. I promise. :D

But that wasn't the point, was it? You said Ditko never created anything successful, after Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. Speedball has been successful (not to the degree of the other two mentioned, but success by any other name....).

It's okay for you to admit you were in error. The universe won't collapse in on itself, if you did. I promise. :D

I have always admitted when I was wrong and can post the threads to prove it. how about yourself?

I just do not consider Speedball any kind of real success. Nexus is a great character, great art, many issues. But i do not consider him a success either. punisher is a success. Wolverine is a success. Speedball-nope.

I guess we define success differently. I define it as a character that people care about and there is a large market for. A guy whose #1 can be had for two bucks and has never had a CG thread discussing him doesn't fit the bill.

I guess we define success differently. I define it as a character that people care about and there is a large market for. A guy whose #1 can be had for two bucks and has never had a CG thread discussing him doesn't fit the bill.

You are like the person who thinks a movie isn't successful, unless it breaks the weekend box office total of all-time. But that doesn't mean a film is not successful, if it doesn't. There are degrees of success. Speedball is a creation that has longevity, has been around for several decades, is a known quantity to fans of this hobby/industry, and is still in use to this day. That is a successful creation. Is it the same degree that Spider-Man has been? No, and I never said it was. But just like my movie analogy, that level isn't the only level to gauging success.

Your mistake was to say Ditko had NO successful creations, after Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. That is false. He may not have had any that reached those levels, but he has had others. The degree might not have been as high as those two, but that does not invalidate their success (except in your own mind). If you had said he didn't have any that reached iconic levels, you might have been correct. But to say he had NONE, of any kind, is patently false. Period.

So you think a character that's survived in print for over 25 years, and one of the pivotal characters in the beginning of Civil War, which was popular enough a series and had enough depth to become a billion dollar film, is not a "successful" character?

Because this particular message board doesn't get a daily chub over him?

A throwaway character from Civil War whose #1 is 2 bucks-yes.

A throwaway character from Civil War whose #1 is 2 bucks-yes.

THE character that launched the events that set Civil War in motion....

whose 1st appearance just had GPA 9.8 sale of $175

Calm down folks we're all allowed to have our own views. A 9.8 that goes for $175 doesn't impress me much.

Lois Lane 132 9.8 sold for $112. Does that mean it's an important issue? No.

Calm down folks we're all allowed to have our own views. A 9.8 that goes for $175 doesn't impress me much.

Lois Lane 132 9.8 sold for $112. Does that mean it's an important issue? No.

But it's hardly $2, right?