• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko chewed me out

105 posts in this topic

Calm down folks we're all allowed to have our own views. A 9.8 that goes for $175 doesn't impress me much.

Lois Lane 132 9.8 sold for $112. Does that mean it's an important issue? No.

You only disprove your own standard. You said because Speedball #1 isn't worth big money, it means it is not a successful creation. Then when presented with a copy of his first appearance that did get big money, you drag in a book that has no significance to anything, which did the same, to suggest getting big money doesn't make something important and successful. So, which is it?

And you can believe whatever you like. But that doesn't make you correct. There are people who still think the earth is flat (just Google "flat earther society," if you doubt me). They are free to believe as they will, it doesn't change the reality they are wrong.

Speedball IS a successful creation by Ditko. You don't have to agree with that. But your belief does not invalidate that success.

Many unimportant books in 9.8 go for hundreds. It does not make them important. You should know this.

Ps I can't believe you used the flat earth argument. what next, Hitler?

Many 9.8s go for hundreds. It does not make them important. You should know this.

The normal, rational response is, "gee, I didn't know that. My comment was based on anecdotal information and not researched facts. Now that you point out all those pieces of information, of which I knew nothing about previously, I can admit that you have a point."

Or you can ignore that you called a $175 book a $2 book.

Either one will probably work out fine.

I think we're at an impasse here. As HAL would say, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

I think we're at an impasse here. As HAL would say, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

We are...

I live in a world where $2 and $175 are not the same thing...and you don't. lol

If Spidey is an A-list character, Doc Strange is a B-list character (yeah, he's got a movie coming out, but he's no Captain America, Iron Man or the Hulk, let alone Spidey or Wolverine), where does that put Speedball? C-list at best, and quite possibly D-list alongside the Beyonder, Caliban and Kathy Griffin.

I'm not sure I could pick Speedball out of a line-up without checking Google Images first, except through process of elimination, and I sure couldn't tell you a single thing about the character. He may have a cult following, but "successful" in the way that A and B-list Marvel characters have infiltrated mainstream pop culture...no.

Someone paid more than $38K for a piece of Ditko Mr. A original art in 2009. Does that make Mr. A a "successful" creation? If we're judging by mainstream popularity and commercial success, certainly not; if we're gauging success by a different standard (e.g., critical reception, artistic merit, "coolness", etc.), then maybe. But, either way, what the art or comics featuring the character might sell for are not necessarily indications of how "successful" in the commercial/popular sense the character may be. 2c

Even if Boston Corbett spent $12,250 on a Speedball #1 9.9 and Tom Fish paid $657K for the Speedball #1 cover art, "successful" would still not be one of the first words that came to mind when someone mentioned Speedball. lol

OK. I took down the Ditko letter.

Obviously some of you have it in your head that I was out to get Mr. Ditko. I'm 48 years old and this is only the second time I have ever sent a letter to a comic artist. My letter to him was sincere. I shared life experiences about my Dad and how at a very early age I got into comics. I just wanted Mr Ditko to know how important his work and the field he worked in helped to shape who I am.

I had someone send me an email saying how it is "public knowledge" that he wants to be left alone. Sorry but I never got that memo. I'm sure most comic readers didn't. I don't follow the life of the artists or writers. I didn't ask him personal questions about his private life. I only asked about his public work. I had no idea he hated talking about the history of his profession. Had I known I would have asked something entirely different. I didn't write that letter to him off.

Anyway, I don't feel it was a breach of privacy to show it. In my humble opinion if he were truly seeking privacy he would have just ignored my letter. But since it is very possible that I am wrong (it has happened before) I've decided to put the letter in a gallery only visible to me.

So Everyone disperse. Nothing to see here.

He does not want to be left alone. He has his contact info up and how to send a letter and how long to expect a reply. He opens the letters. He replies to them. If he wanted to be 'left alone' he would do none of the above.

Obviously some of you have it in your head that I was out to get Mr. Ditko. I'm 48 years old and this is only the second time I have ever sent a letter to a comic artist. My letter to him was sincere. I shared life experiences about my Dad and how at a very early age I got into comics. I just wanted Mr Ditko to know how important his work and the field he worked in helped to shape who I am.

I had someone send me an email saying how it is "public knowledge" that he wants to be left alone. Sorry but I never got that memo. I'm sure most comic readers didn't. I don't follow the life of the artists or writers. I didn't ask him personal questions about his private life. I only asked about his public work. I had no idea he hated talking about the history of his profession. Had I known I would have asked something entirely different. I didn't write that letter to him off.

Anyway, I don't feel it was a breach of privacy to show it. In my humble opinion if he were truly seeking privacy he would have just ignored my letter. But since it is very possible that I am wrong (it has happened before) I've decided to put the letter in a gallery only visible to me.

I'd be interested in seeing the letter if you don't mind.

You wanted to let Steve Ditko know his work helped shape you into a stalker?

You didn't do anything wrong.

You wanted to let Steve Ditko know his work helped shape you into a stalker?

come on dude.

I thought that was a nicely worded letter. Hell, I bet its one of few creators get that is only asking for answers instead of free art / commissions.

Then again, maybe Ditko and the people that think you are out to get him are reading a different English than I am...

You didn't do anything wrong.

+1