• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evelyn's VERY old Comics Discounts and group prices page 47

470 posts in this topic

Wanted Comics # 10 , 1947 Toytown.

This is the 2nd issue in the Series, with a radio's Mr. DA appearance..

This is a nice looking copy, staples are tight, pages are w/ow, color is great. There is a hint of a ripple on the right edge, and a tiny bit of scuffing at the bottom. The staples are dark and there is a tiny bit of rust on the bottom one, they are clean at the centerfold.. The book is at least a Fine- (5.5), It could probably be pressed higher. OSG in Fine is $63, bin is $50

wanted%2010_0001.jpg

wanted%2010_0002.jpg

OK, the last 4 books.

Captain Marvel Adventures #7. 1942.

Color is fantastic, pages are in the white range. There is color touch under the “C” in the Captain. There is a piece of what appears to be archival tape inside near the top staple. There may be other spine support, but I can't see anything specific. There is some glue on the spine above the top staple. There is a tear by the lower staple. It MIGHT have been reglossed, if it was, they did the outer and inner cover, because they are both the same, but the paper is a little heavier so I suspect it was reglossed, I'm not sure. There is a stain in the back cover and a tear seal in the front at the bottom, some light creasing.. I don't see any pieces added, but I'm not an expert.

It's an apparent Fine+ (6.5) maybe a little better. I think the restoration would be slight A, but again, I'm not an expert.

This is another book that is not easy to find. Grade before the Restoration was at least VG- (3.5) probably a little better. VG guide is $252, bin is $180

captain%20marvel%207_0001.jpg

captain%20marvel%207_0002.jpg

th_captain%20marvel%207%20b.jpg

th_captain%20marvel%207%20a.jpg

th_captain%20marvel%207c.jpg

th_captain%20marvel%207d.jpg

Yankee Comics #1, by Dynamite Publications (Chesler). 1941

These are not common, it's the 1st copy I've ever seen. Included are:

Origin of Yankee Doodle Jones, Echo, Firebrand! , Scarlet Sentry and Enchanted Dagger. Charles Sultan Cover, George Tuska art.

Date is written in pencil on the splash page.

Great color and gloss and tape. There are tears under a few (but not all ) of the tape pieces. Tape was a fun thing at the time it was used. I took a picture of the inside of the front cover, so you can see the tape in there. Looks like 1, 1” tear on the right edge, 2 small tears near the spine and a small piece off the top of the spine, there is a tanning halo inside both ends of the covers.Pages are nice and W/OW and supple.

The book would have been in the GD/VG or VG- range before the tape, but a nice solid one. It's scarce,

Great back cover!

I'm going to price it at less than the OSG, VG price. Bin is $375,

Sold to Norrin's lawyer

yankee%20comics%201_0002.jpg

yankee%20comics%201_0001.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20e.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20d.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20c.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20b.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20a.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20f.jpg

th_yankee%20comics%20g.jpg

Wow Comics #1, 1940, Fawcett,

and WOW, it is...everyone is looking for “keys” well, this is a key.

The Origin of Mr Scarlet (by Simon and Kirby) A Bondage Cover by CC Beck, 1st Mention of Gotham City in Comics, Atom Blake, Boy Wizard, Jim Dolan and Rick O'shea begin, the only appearance of Diamond Jack, the White Rajah, and shipwreck Roberts.

This book was printed with blank inside pages and on unstable paper, so it's rare to find one that's in nice shape. There is a very low grade one with a split cover on eBay for over $1700.

This copy has great colors, color touch and a piece added and some tape inside the spine for support. There is one small piece added at the bottom near the spine, there is some damage there at the bottom of the spine (see picture) there is a very small tear (about 1/4” lower right front)

I'm guessing that this would be moderate A (because of the piece added) but I saw a Moderate 8.0 on Metro and this looked better, that one had some kind of weird dust shadow or staining on half the front cover. They were asking $2690. I'm not a restoration expert, but I can see the where it was split under the tape. I'm guessing this was between a Gd/VG and a VG- before the restoration. I figured out the OSG for a 3.5 and a 3.0 and divided, then took off a little from that ($2193)

Bin is $2100,

wow%201%20fawcett_0002.jpg

wow%201%20fawcett_0001.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20a.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20b.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20c.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20d.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20e.jpg

Last but not least Star Spangled Comics #7, 1942, DC, a KEY issue. Sold to R.B.

The Origin and first appearance of the Guardian by Simon and Kirby.

The Origin and First Appearance of Robotman, by Paul Cassidy and created by Jerry Siegal (Superman in case you are only a Marvel Zombie;) The 1st appearance of the Newsboy Legion! , TNT begins, last Captain X.,

This is a beautiful copy, great colors, the pages are light (I took inside pictures) inside of the covers are light, pages and cover is supple, staples are tight, but they are dark on the outside, there is a ½ “ hairline tear on the top of the back in the middle. There is a little bit of foxing on a few pages, and a little dirt. Upper corner has a hint of a bend. There appears to be some transfer ink on the back. There are some tiny drops of color touch at the bottom of the front on the green and perhaps on the bottom of the spine as well. , I don't see anything else, they may be removable, but I'm not an expert.. Grade is 6.5 or a little better, with very slight A. Bin is $1568 (the VG price)

star%20spangled%207_0001.jpg

star%20spangled%207_0002.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20f.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20e.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20d.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20c.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20b.jpg

th_star%20spangled%207%20a.jpg

th_spy%20cases%2011_0002.jpg

Terry and the Pirates #11, Harvey , 1947.

Man in Black Appearance by Powell

Pages are ow/Cr and appear to be mostly supple,they are thin and not the best paper though. There is a 1” tear at the top of the first page., there is a miscut on the bottom of the last page. There are a few small pieces missing on a very pages, very small, and I hope it was bugs. Some light creasing near the spine, the cover is decent and I figure someone will want it for that. OSG in Good is $13, this is better than Good. Bin is $12

terry%20pirates%2011_0001.jpg

terry%20pirates%2011_0002_1.jpg

:takeit:

Terry and the Pirates #11, Harvey , 1947.

Man in Black Appearance by Powell

Pages are ow/Cr and appear to be mostly supple,they are thin and not the best paper though. There is a 1” tear at the top of the first page., there is a miscut on the bottom of the last page. There are a few small pieces missing on a very pages, very small, and I hope it was bugs. Some light creasing near the spine, the cover is decent and I figure someone will want it for that. OSG in Good is $13, this is better than Good. Bin is $12

terry%20pirates%2011_0001.jpg

Thanks, Joe! Sold

Last but not least Star Spangled Comics #7, 1942, DC, a KEY issue.

The Origin and First Appearance of Robotman, by Paul Cassidy and created by Jerry Siegal (Superman in case you are only a Marvel Zombie;) The 1st appearance of the Newsboy Legion! , TNT begins, last Captain X.,

This is a beautiful copy, great colors, the pages are light (I took inside pictures) inside of the covers are light, pages and cover is supple, staples are tight, but they are dark on the outside, there is a ½ “ hairline tear on the top of the back in the middle. There is a little bit of foxing on a few pages, and a little dirt. Upper corner has a hint of a bend. There appears to be some transfer ink on the back. There are some tiny drops of color touch at the bottom of the front on the green and perhaps on the bottom of the spine as well. , I don't see anything else, they may be removable, but I'm not an expert.. Grade is 6.5 or a little better, with very slight A. Bin is $1568 (the VG price)

(worship)

Thanks, Larry:) and thanks everyone! That should be the last of Evelyn's books.

I hope to have a recap up tomorrow afternoon, I have an appt in the morning. After that I'll start sending invoices.

Many thanks to everyone for all the fun:)

:takeout: per pm

:takeit: per pm

Al Capp's Li'l Abner, #73, 1949. Toby Press.

Great color, rusty staples, the centerfold is detached. Top staple on the cover is detached. There is a ½ “ split lower spine that goes through all the pages. Pages are OK (mostly OW) except for the very bottom edge which is tanning, and maybe be brittle soon. Some bug damage lower right.

I think most people are interested in the cover on this book, GGA cover, Bin is $12

lil%20abner%2073_0001_1.jpg

lil%20abner%2073_0002_1.jpg

Thanks sold!

There was a question about a time payment on the books over $1k, the answer is yes, if you are in good standing and you can make a 10% non refundable down payment. These are not my books, so 30 days is the max. I can't hold them longer than that.

Al Capp's Li'l Abner, #73, 1949. Toby Press.

Great color, rusty staples, the centerfold is detached. Top staple on the cover is detached. There is a ½ “ split lower spine that goes through all the pages. Pages are OK (mostly OW) except for the very bottom edge which is tanning, and maybe be brittle soon. Some bug damage lower right.

I think most people are interested in the cover on this book, GGA cover, Bin is $12

lil%20abner%2073_0001_1.jpg

lil%20abner%2073_0002_1.jpg

Sold, thanks Jeremy, I know someone would like that cover:)

Thanks sold!

:applause:

Origin of Yankee Doodle Jones, Echo, Firebrand! , Scarlet Sentry and Enchanted Dagger. Charles Sultan Cover, George Tuska art.

Great color and gloss and tape. There are tears under a few (but not all ) of the tape pieces. Tape was a fun thing at the time it was used. I took a picture of the inside of the front cover, so you can see the tape in there. Looks like 1, 1” tear on the right edge, 2 small tears near the spine and a small piece off the top of the spine, there is a tanning halo inside both ends of the covers.Pages are nice and W/OW and supple.

The book would have been in the GD/VG or VG- range before the tape, but a nice solid one. It's scarce,

Great back cover!

Someone needs to buy this.

D. I. C. K. Cole #10, Star Publications 1950, LB Cole Baseball cover!

The cover is OK, but the pages are starting to split at the spine, some as much as 4”, the cover it attached at one staple, centerfold is detached and the edges are raggedy, It's low grade, with a great cover. Bin is $8

ick%20cole%2010_0001.jpg

ick%20cole%2010_0002.jpg

add this on to my pile :)

Wow Comics #1, 1940, Fawcett,

and WOW, it is...everyone is looking for “keys” well, this is a key.

The Origin of Mr Scarlet (by Simon and Kirby) A Bondage Cover by CC Beck, 1st Mention of Gotham City in Comics, Atom Blake, Boy Wizard, Jim Dolan and Rick O'shea begin, the only appearance of Diamond Jack, the White Rajah, and shipwreck Roberts.

This book was printed with blank inside pages and on unstable paper, so it's rare to find one that's in nice shape. There is a very low grade one with a split cover on eBay for over $1700.

This copy has great colors, color touch and a piece added and some tape inside the spine for support. There is one small piece added at the bottom near the spine, there is some damage there at the bottom of the spine (see picture) there is a very small tear (about 1/4” lower right front)

I'm guessing that this would be moderate A (because of the piece added) but I saw a Moderate 8.0 on Metro and this looked better, that one had some kind of weird dust shadow or staining on half the front cover. They were asking $2690. I'm not a restoration expert, but I can see the where it was split under the tape. I'm guessing this was between a Gd/VG and a VG- before the restoration. I figured out the OSG for a 3.5 and a 3.0 and divided, then took off a little from that ($2193)

Bin is $2100,

wow%201%20fawcett_0002.jpg

wow%201%20fawcett_0001.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20a.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20b.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20c.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20d.jpg

th_wow%20comics%20e.jpg

(worship)

Great back cover!

Dang!

I needed Sky Blazers #1.

@Mike, CrocHntr, "Sky Blazers" is a very special book.

The feature "Sky Pirates" (not signed) is one of the few instances of italian comics published in USA, and the only one by Kurt Caesar, one of the leading artist of "Il Vittorioso" (the italian comics journal I am studying).

Caesar was german, married in 1929 and came to live in Italy. He served as a logistic officer in the Wehrmacht for Gen. Erwin Rommell during the Africa campaign, so with "Sky Blazers" you very likely have the only instance of a comic drawn by a german officier (Caesar never liked Hitler, BTW).

I need to find a #1!