• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first Grail

28 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I've been around the boards for a little over a year and have been collecting just a little longer than that. Most of my posts have been purchases in the sales threads. I would like to get more involved, so starting with this thread.

So I've been thinking about this for a bit. I want to get my first big Grail, but am struggling with a couple things, so wanted to ask everyone about their experiences. There are a lot of books I want, and I continue to buy books I like for a $100 here and $400 there. If I were to just save I'm sure I could eventually make the big purchase.

First of all, what made you decide to get the first big Grail? How did you decide which one to go for (there are a few I want)? How did you refrain from buying other things in the process? I really like the collection I've amassed and would prefer not to sell most of them, is this necessary to create the funds? Where besides the boards is the best place to look for books?

Any other advice you have for me?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Aaron

TMNT #1 - no reason, just my 2c

Unless Riddler has been your favorite Batman villain for a long time and something always drew you to the character.

My grail was DD #1 since he was my favorite character since I was a kid. I chased the Miller run first because it's what I could afford and then started branching out and buying first appearances of other characters and one day just decided: I'm going to go for it. :idea:

Then it took discipline to NOT spend money and keep saving. You need to set a target grade to go for and then just save, save and save. A grail shouldn't be something acquired with ease. It's a journey. And don't settle - find YOUR copy.

If there are books you want in your collection, I don't see the issue of picking them up. I would get focused on narrowing the field down a bit, stay disciplined, and focus on saving up the the pieces you really want.

Just keep turning little books into bigger books. Set goals bigger than you can ever achieve and before you know it, you'll have accumulated some sweet stuff. A grail you will know when you see it because you will want to give up everything and then some to get it.

Just keep turning little books into bigger books. Set goals bigger than you can ever achieve and before you know it, you'll have accumulated some sweet stuff. A grail you will know when you see it because you will want to give up everything and then some to get it.

hm y'mean this whole thing is a pyramid? hm

Daredevil 1 is a decent, affordable key. You can probably get a nice 3.0-3.5 for $1000. Some of those books you rattled off are $5k+ for anything more than a beater. Maybe take the leap from $400 to $1000 before making the leap from $400 to $10000?

You could also make a case for only living once. However, a more methodical, gradual approach to improving your collection might be more prudent.

hm y'mean this whole thing is a pyramid? hm

ha! So I started small and then went crazy for a bit, buying just about everything I could under 200-300. Then decided I wanted to narrow my focus a bit and have done well to sell some books that didn't "fit" in my collection to buy ones I wanted. Pretty much everything in my collection is for me now. Would you recommend I go back to buying some other things and flipping them? Or better to save organically so I don't get trapped by books?

Daredevil 1 is a decent, affordable key. You can probably get a nice 3.0-3.5 for $1000. Some of those books you rattled off are $5k+ for anything more than a beater. Maybe take the leap from $400 to $1000 before making the leap from $400 to $10000?

You could also make a case for only living once. However, a more methodical, gradual approach to improving your collection might be more prudent.

thanks for the reply! The most I've spent on a single book to date is $700. So maybe part of it is getting in my head that I can make the jump to bigger books. I'm worried if I continue To go up a few hundred each time that I'll run out of money by the time I want to purchase the big one

TMNT #1. Always loved the characters. A copy that came from Eastman came up and I bought it. Made me stop collecting comics for awhile as I had waited so long to find that book nothing else mattered. Took 3 years for me to buy another comic.

When I'm saving up for a big money book and don't want to spend on other books, I immerse myself in another hobby. For me it's video games. Not buying, just beating ones I haven't finished, completing challenges, blah blah. I also find regular books to read. Time flies.

Sometimes one of my collector friends can keep me motivated to save as well. Good luck to ya I hope you find your perfect book.

When I'm saving up for a big money book and don't want to spend on other books, I immerse myself in another hobby. For me it's video games. Not buying, just beating ones I haven't finished, completing challenges, blah blah. I also find regular books to read. Time flies.

Sometimes one of my collector friends can keep me motivated to save as well. Good luck to ya I hope you find your perfect book.

great ideas! There's about 100 trades I have laying around that I haven't read and some video games that need playing.