• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repecing Staples and not disclosing?

17 posts in this topic

. Posted an Avengers 4 here a month ago, detached copy with no staples but even with maybe a 2.0. This seller bought the book for $295 on eBay. I just saw it relisted with staples. No mention of replaced staples, grading it at 3.0-3.5. I am sorry but I find this as no good, besides the bad grading but adding staples and not mentioning... I don't care he makes $200 being its business but just can't stand non disclosure. Am I seeing this wrong?

You can check out my thread under TimelyFinds to see original photos

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9313933&fpart=1

So in the notes section (not the actual product description) he does say this:

“NICE overall..A few light creases. Partially erased name at top edge. Some stress lines and minor tears near spine. No spine splits, staples tight but piece missing top spine from back. Back cover has tears coming off staples. Staples have been replaced/reattached. Pages nice..but one tiny piece off of one page corner. CG has tears off staples. Pages no less than Cream/Owp. I see no color touch up or tape, or glue.”

Now if you miss that, and just read that he thinks it's a 3.0-3.5, then yes, you might be in a for a surprise when it's in hand or if you got it graded.

Joe's been selling books for decades, I'm sure he didn't mean harm. Staple replacement was acceptable for years..... Overstreet doesn't consider it to be restoration, so an old school dealer would consider it a proper approach. He did disclose...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I understand what use to be alright, as glue and other tricks use to be acceptable. But that is then and this is now. Doing it all online to make more money by making it in-orginal I think is wrong. If you bought an Action 1 and you found out seller added staples, what would you think? Glad he changed it, just think it was fraud till that point

It's going to vary from person to person..... me ?, staple replacement is very low on my list of problem issues...... way below tape, which is "acceptable". I would love to have a rusted staple removed and replaced with a clean vintage one..... but that's just me. GOD BLESS...

Yep, Green. I'm sorry that happened to you. Me, when I see a book I want for my personal collection in a GLOD with only Staple work done, I jump on it and put that puppy in a mylar. This is what bothers me about this, not directed at you, per se, but that MM 17 was a favored book of yours until CGC told you it was no longer OK to like the book. That's why I never liked the colored label dynamic...... it over dramatizes the simple *spoon*...... GOD BLESS....

MM 17 was the first Timely I ever owned :cloud9::cloud9:

I understand Jimbo- some people don't mind while others wont buy a book because of it. I just think if you do it these days that you should disclose it- simple as that. now that's its disclosed I have no issue. I did speak to him and it was not an accident it wasn't listed- glad he changed it for a potential buyer

Disclosure is always best...... it's the honorable thing..... sometimes we forget to mention things, that's why I keep labels with my de-slabs, to remind me. GOD BLESS...

I think that on a book like this, which is worth significant money as a 3.0-3.5, and that the buyer is likely to have graded, you just have to state prominently that the staples have been replaced.

Maybe you can skip mentioning it on a drek reader, but not on a book that routinely sells in this grade (unrestored) for north of $500.

I think that on a book like this, which is worth significant money as a 3.0-3.5, and that the buyer is likely to have graded, you just have to state prominently that the staples have been replaced.

Maybe you can skip mentioning it on a drek reader, but not on a book that routinely sells in this grade (unrestored) for north of $500.

Damn, this really seems like a no-brainer. I mean, this is a Comics forum...