• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,431 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone has posted one of these yet? One of my favourite iconic covers of the atomic age...I love the colours in the title..

Dopeslaves.jpg

That's a great one!

One of my favorite books...very traditional Severin gunslinger cover...with very dynamic all-Kirby interior.

BRRA_01.jpg

Don't think I'd mess with the Black Rider...

More adventures into eBay-land.

Picked up the items below this week.

Auction advertised the art as by Mel Keefer from He-Man # 1. There is no chance this is by Mel Keefer (and I say that as a good thing). Yes, Keefer did most of the art in He-Man # 1. I knew that and the seller must have thought he did the whole book.

Receiving the pages, it confirmed my suspicion (sp?). The pages are re-used from John Wayne # 2, published in 1950 while He-Man is from 1954.

Now, I have to figure out who did the art on this two-pager. Any help from spotters out there? Sorry but I need to find a better setting with the camera to take close up shots that are more in focus.

Regardless of the artist, I love the blacks on these pages and the horse drawings . Plus, as always, I like to get over-sized art, esp. for so cheap: 2 pages and a copy of He-Man for under $40 shipped? :screwy:

89727.jpg.036c45149a472e6f4b8a5a78dfcfdb56.jpg

89728.jpg.683940938f0c21eabf96a7b40d4d9cc2.jpg

89729.jpg.28eff36dc0ae5d6846cc399b857d7ff7.jpg

89730.jpg.21f8eda5324ee867ffd19a4e7f0a664e.jpg

89731.jpg.64ace0f716db59c26682e2d1b895c9d8.jpg

Here's one of the last Captain Comet issues. He actually didn't make it through until the Silver Age. :cry:

You wonder if he would have gained popularity if the series could have survived a few more years until the superhero movement got a foothold?

Anyway, I love the simple composition on this one.

SA43.jpg

I like the horses too. GCD says it's Keefer, so that's probably where the seller got the info.

Thanks! :D

Discussion on the GCD mailing list might have turned up the artist to my pieces: Jim McArdle, the regular DC artist on Dale Evans.

I put these comps below together from my pages to issue 22 of Dale Evans.

What says the crowd?

89782.jpg.87c7cc28ef8a8bf96484a1b7e054a106.jpg

89783.jpg.7cdcbd32f82cb7d011bcf86546411ee7.jpg

89784.jpg.1c7da7eebf6a9f491daf0009cb9b35dd.jpg

Here is an interesting lil' gem from the short-lived publishing house of MIKEROSS (Andru & Esposito).

MRU_02.jpg

The premis here is that Mr. Universe is regularly a pro-wrestler, who, in his spare time, partakes in mercenary adventures with his buds.

Here is a bit of forshadowing for A&E's later War that Time forgot series in SSWS.

This is an early Andru dino...it looks something like a T-Rex.

MRU_02_pg11.jpg

MRU_02_pg12.jpg

Here is an interesting lil' gem from the short-lived publishing house of MIKEROSS (Andru & Esposito).

MRU_02.jpg

The premis here is that Mr. Universe is regularly a pro-wrestler, who, in his spare time, partakes in mercenary adventures with his buds.

... and since they liked that cover so much, they re-used the pose when Mr. Universe went to War (thumbs u

Notice how he lost his smile though

89795.jpg.018f503a2c89d59945d2ba940791d74c.jpg

Well, I'd have to say I'm not convinced.

What's stopping you from thinking it's the same artist?

I take it back. On second look I see lots of similarities. I was thinking the use of shadows is more pronounced and different in yours, and some of the line work in the Dale Evans is "scratchier", but there are similar brush strokes in the shadows, the horses have the same general outlines, and some of the inking in shares the same simple lines (for example in the hands of some of the characters.

But who knows.