• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Nice book, who's the cover artist?

My guess is Bill Everett ( gossip.gif Hence the Thank you Bill in my previous post.)

I was posting at the same time as you! makepoint.gif

Oopps. Hey Tim, it's Bill Everett. flowerred.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Nice book, who's the cover artist?

My guess is Bill Everett ( gossip.gif Hence the Thank you Bill in my previous post.)

I did take time to "appreciate" the cover on this copy. It was double-mylared and looked at bit dingy. Then I took it out, and I was extremely happy that I own it!

gossip.gif you were right on the money, Scrooge. I figured I'd leave off the artist to give folks a chance to guess.

Great book - the colors really pop! - If you have anymore Lorna's please post them - from what I can see in the Gerber that title had a number of great covers.

Also, Adam do you have any T-man books you can show us?- I always liked the "world tour" covers and thought if I ever went looking for HG Atom Age that would a title to look for.

That's probably my favorite Lorna cover (I'm partial to Bill Everett's art) but I think I have one or two others lying around.

I've posted my only T-Man already in this thread. It's the Hitle re-appearance issue.

Great book - the colors really pop! - If you have anymore Lorna's please post them - from what I can see in the Gerber that title had a number of great covers.

Also, Adam do you have any T-man books you can show us?- I always liked the "world tour" covers and thought if I ever went looking for HG Atom Age that would a title to look for.

Not in as nice a shape as Lorna herself ( tongue.gif), here's the Panama Chapter. Not the most exotic cover of that series. I guess in the 50's Panama called up imageries of seedy bars since the country was probably viewed as one gigantic port-city.

813708-T-Man4s.jpg

813708-T-Man4s.jpg.d119f780bdac6c0bd09acd51d786ee06.jpg

Thanks Scrooge - great cover. For some reason Crandall's T-man covers often seem more action packed than his Blackhawk ones. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the interior Crandall art when you get to the T's in your March 1952 thread.

Thanks Scrooge - great cover. For some reason Crandall's T-man covers often seem more action packed than his Blackhawk ones. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the interior Crandall art when you get to the T's in your March 1952 thread.

I should be scanning some DD antics but here are two splashes.

813839-T-Man4Story1s.jpg

813839-T-Man4Story4s.jpg

Can't be sure that the latter splash is Crandall's work though. Anyone agree?

813839-T-Man4Story4s.jpg.6404d7273ffddd9f92f19651e9345125.jpg

The first one is a specatacular Crandall splash, the second is NOT Crandall.

Unfortuntately, I don't have any Crandall in my issue. frown.gif

Quite glad you concur that the second one is not Crandall. Maybe I am getting better at this ID thing (but again Crandall and Everett are easy to spot ... I'm climbing that mountain though). I realize also I worded my question oddly before - I meant to say that, of course, that second splash could hardly be called Crandall and that's what rjpb had requested: Crandall art.

Quite glad you concur that the second one is not Crandall. Maybe I am getting better at this ID thing (but again Crandall and Everett are easy to spot ... I'm climbing that mountain though). I realize also I worded my question oddly before - I meant to say that, of course, that second splash could hardly be called Crandall and that's what rjpb had requested: Crandall art.

Ahhh, now I understand your original question, as I figured you knew enough to know it wasn't Crandall. The good artists are much easier to recognize than the bad ones. And that first splash is so good...

I don't think I initially recognized the Lorna cover as Everett when I bought it. The giveaways were the background figures that are more cartoony, as the main figure is drawn more realistically than he often drew. It just goes to show that Everett, like many of the great ones, could draw well in a variety of styles. And Lorna is drawn very, very well on that one!

Thanks for the splashes - the Peter Lorre lookalike in the Crandall one is a nice touch. Man, I just want to start buying this title.

Not to want to influence your buying habits but while we are it, here goes another:

814008-PoliceComics113Story3s.jpg

814008-PoliceComics113Story3s.jpg.0d3b1e0a52dac228e80b5bbe5d28c416.jpg

Got a batch of beat but neat Airboys today. Thought I'd share some, let me start with this one for today - May 1952 issue -

823038-AirboyMay1952s.jpg

Also hoping Adam can resume posting his booootiful books soon hi.gif

823038-AirboyMay1952s.jpg.c1c8e122776f77fdcba6cda09e1c7d95.jpg