• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,403 posts in this topic

Aw, do you like the fuzzy wuzzy bears? poke2.gif

It's just like my teddy. cloud9.gif

Very nice, Jetta thumbsup2.gif

Looks a nice copy, with fresh colors!

What do you think of the stories inside?

What? We're supposed to read them, too 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm not a huge fan of the stories, but DeCarlo's art... cloud9.gif

Adam - thanks for posting the Fairy Tales - it's nice to know you have some books I don't covet wink.gif

Here is a Atom Age humor cover I love - beyond the goofy surrealism - it reminds me of something by Kaz - a favorite underground artist of mine.

madhouse4.jpg

And one more - I really like this book. It's got 4 stories by Pakula, Sale, Ayers and Sinnott. It's really nice for me to see this 1955 book with 4 artists I know from my 1952 books and look at how their art evolved. I am so stuck on that one time period that I am missing out on keeping track of these guys over the years. I am glad I am breaking out a little and purchasing out of the same period. Anyway, enjoy Navy Action # 4 -

985057-NavyAction4s.jpg

985057-NavyAction4s.jpg.2af2c654c2964a78d63b23eb6f6cff50.jpg

Great cover! I love the sunlight ripples on the sub. Heath did incredible work - especially on the Atlas war books (and on DC war books as well) - I have to guess he loved drawing them.

Great cover! I love the sunlight ripples on the sub. Heath did incredible work - especially on the Atlas war books (and on DC war books as well) - I have to guess he loved drawing them.

Glad to see you're branching out -- but to the right kind of material. thumbsup2.gif

That's a very effective piece and not one I've seen before. Definitely a change of pace to see a Russian sub from the Cold War. Heath loves to draw, but he's also a professional to the core and unwilling to "phone it in".

Here is a Atom Age humor cover I love - beyond the goofy surrealism - it reminds me of something by Kaz - a favorite underground artist of mine.

Most people focus on the horror titles from Ajax/Farrell, but there a few like the Madhouse that are a lot of fun as well.

Great stuff, Michael. Clearly Heath rules.

Changing topics, a bunch of Mile High Airboys are in the preview for the Jan Heritage auction. Only a few scans have been posted yet, but it confirms that the covers on some of the earlier issues are really great.

Changing topics, a bunch of Mile High Airboys are in the preview for the Jan Heritage auction. Only a few scans have been posted yet, but it confirms that the covers on some of the earlier issues are really great.

So Tim, great enough for you to bid on them confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's a recent Airboy addition to my stash. There were some on eBay yesterday but I missed bidding on them foreheadslap.gif Some rarely up there as well, 1948 issues with great covers. Bah, knowing how cheap I am I probably wouldn't have won - This is the July 1949 issue (I think) -

1010930-AirboyJuly1949s.jpg

1010930-AirboyJuly1949s.jpg.ac99e22b43f0ae4821caff0434c065e1.jpg

So Tim, great enough for you to bid on them confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm considering it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Also, some nice Lone Rangers, which I'm also considering having been suitably impressed by Adam's posts.

I'm considering it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Also, some nice Lone Rangers, which I'm also considering having been suitably impressed by Adam's posts.

Really? I don't recall Adam ever posting any LR (maybe when I was away to Europe a while ago and I missed them ...) I imagine that the Airboys would be more fun to read that the LR. But in a slab, that does not matter, does it?

Anyway, branching out to another series from Hillman with the same level of solid art and really pleasant writing I must say, here's Pirates # 4 AAARRRRR - ( gossip.gif this is probably the worst cover of the short-run btw)

1014693-PiratesComics4s.jpg

1014693-PiratesComics4s.jpg.7b79cf6cccc1de76ab9fc48c2c36d605.jpg

( gossip.gif this is probably the worst cover of the short-run btw)

If that's the worst cover, I'd like to see the rest! Nice line work. Do you know who the artist is? It reminds me of the style of one of the adventure comic strip artists, but can't quite place my finger on it.

If that's the worst cover, I'd like to see the rest! Nice line work. Do you know who the artist is? It reminds me of the style of one of the adventure comic strip artists, but can't quite place my finger on it.

I would have been able to had I not been so cheap. Amazingly all 4 issues have been offered on eBay over the last 3 weeks but I came away with this one only. So borrowing from the GCD here are the 3 issues missing to complete the run -

Pirates 1 -

1014724-Pirates1.jpg

Pirates 2 -

1014724-Pirates2.jpg

Pirates 3 - More whimsical -

1014724-Pirates3.jpg

So would you agree that # 4's cover is the worst / weakest of the 4 covers?

1014724-Pirates3.jpg.9a83860c00349defd8702f3f4adba08f.jpg

The running figure with the knife could be a swipe from Hal Foster, but I have nothing specific to base that on.

gossip.gifI haven't posted any LRs. I don't think that I even have any.

So would you agree that # 4's cover is the worst / weakest of the 4 covers?

Nah, actually I'm underwhelmed by #1. They're all nice, but the thick linework is not my cup of tea and the composition is kind of jumbled.