• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,400 posts in this topic

838794-FrontierWest1.jpg

838794-FrontierWest1.jpg.54fa1ca1e49784cb53cac05a973c805d.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Nice copy of Atomic Attack #5, Adam. Ya gotta love the a-bomb covers!

The story is some goofy fun as well IIRC.

Here is a recent ebay impulse buy. I was browsing the war stuff, and this caught my eye - great Maneely cover- and though no condition was listed, the scan was big and the book looked in pretty decent shape, even with a little rust on the staples. Plus, even though Overstreet tends to oversell the violent aspect in Robert Q. Sale's art, I do dig his style - kind of has an "underground" feel to it. Happy to report the book survived being shipped in a flimsy mailer with just two pieces of thin cardboard frustrated.gif, and has great color and ow/w pages - with 2 Sale storys headbang.gif

840364-combatcasey14.jpg

840364-combatcasey14.jpg.61bea982cf2c451003cf39d9589c156e.jpg

ItsGameTime1.jpg

I scanned this book over on the Silver 10cent thread but it's cover dated Sept-Oct, 1955 so I'll post it here. Anyone out there have a 2, 3, or 4 in strict 6.0 or higher. It's a four-issue run. My #1 looks to be a 7.0! Boy, I would love a 2, 3, or 4.

ItsGameTime1.jpg

I scanned this book over on the Silver 10cent thread but it's cover dated Sept-Oct, 1955 so I'll post it here. Anyone out there have a 2, 3, or 4 in strict 6.0 or higher. It's a four-issue run. My #1 looks to be a 7.0! Boy, I would love a 2, 3, or 4.

Wow, cool. I've never seen one of those 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice book, and a little bit of serendipity going on-I just read the Jimmy Olsen #1 reprint that DC put out a few years ago this afternoon.

bumpit.gif

An update on the 50 Ore books. A dealer in Chicago, after I pointed out to him a book in his inventory with the same stamp, told me that his belief on the matter is that someone did buy a warehouse of the stuff in Scandinavia somewhere and because of the size and nature of the inventory has decided to periodically (every 5 or so years) to repatriate a "container" of the books and start selling them.

Meanwhile, here's from today's mail - A Kida cover

912768-AirboyJuly1946s.jpg

912768-AirboyJuly1946s.jpg.090168d82784c2e6096e465477fec813.jpg

Excellent slew of scans you've been posting Adam. That Men's Adventure looks better than most copies that made it to the stands back then!!

Here's another # 8 - Private Eye, Rocky Jorden - Newly acquired from Marc at House of Comics. The man works hard to please his customers. 893applaud-thumb.gif

979384-RockyJordenPrivateEye8s.jpg

979384-RockyJordenPrivateEye8s.jpg.ad47faca09d9a2552e27ad02111b65a7.jpg

That Men's Adventure looks better than most copies that made it to the stands back then!!

The background color is red on that copy, whereas most of the copies I've seen have turned orange over time. It's a good issue with an early-style Heath story inside.

That Men's Adventure looks better than most copies that made it to the stands back then!!

The background color is red on that copy, whereas most of the copies I've seen have turned orange over time. It's a good issue with an early-style Heath story inside.

Beautiful book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's another # 8 - Private Eye, Rocky Jorden - Newly acquired from Marc at House of Comics. The man works hard to please his customers. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cool book, Scrooge. You gotta love the dialogue on some of these covers, it`s like some very middle American person`s idea of how tough guys and gangsters are supposed to talk.

That red IS vibrant and what a series Men's Adventures was! The title is not adopted until issue # 4 with Issues 1 and 2 being True Western then Issue 3 is True Adventure - A Thrill-Packed Magazine of Stories for Men, by Men, about Men! That's a lot of testoterone here along with a cover with a flaming mine.

Issue 4 maintains the same masthead as True Adventures then by Issue 6 the masthead matches the one on your # 8 and I am confident the page count has dropped to 36 from 52. Men's adventure is about Mystery Suspense and Danger

until Issue # 11 where it is now about Warfare Suspense and Danger even though War covers start with Issue # 9 with a lovely title of Bullets, Blades and Blood! A triple B alliterative blurb copy one can imagine Stan wrote.

Then with Issue # 21 it is Weird Men's Adventure for a few issues, only 3 whereafter the word Weird disappears from the cover on November 1953, the book still shows a lunatic dubbed The Torture Master no less with a raised axe and an off-camera intended victim but I guess there wasn't anything weird about that.

And finally, for its legacy, Men's Adventures features the Human Torch revival for 2 issues before disappearing from the newsstands.

Such is the life of a Goodman comic from Western to Real Life Drama to War to Weird to Super-Hero.

Here's a comparison of Adam's # 8 masthead to my # 12 masthead and yes your red is vibrant! -

979834-MensAdvCompare.jpg

979834-MensAdvCompare.jpg.8b927729fdf025ddf950f5ca26f34113.jpg

That red IS vibrant and what a series Men's Adventures was! The title is not adopted until issue # 4 with Issues 1 and 2 being True Western then Issue 3 is True Adventure - A Thrill-Packed Magazine of Stories for Men, by Men, about Men! That's a lot of testoterone here along with a cover with a flaming mine.

Issue 4 maintains the same masthead as True Adventures then by Issue 6 the masthead matches the one on your # 8 and I am confident the page count has dropped to 36 from 52. Men's adventure is about Mystery Suspense and Danger

until Issue # 11 where it is now about Warfare Suspense and Danger even though War covers start with Issue # 9 with a lovely title of Bullets, Blades and Blood! A triple B alliterative blurb copy one can imagine Stan wrote.

Then with Issue # 21 it is Weird Men's Adventure for a few issues, only 3 whereafter the word Weird disappears from the cover on November 1953, the book still shows a lunatic dubbed The Torture Master no less with a raised axe and an off-camera intended victim but I guess there wasn't anything weird about that.

And finally, for its legacy, Men's Adventures features the Human Torch revival for 2 issues before disappearing from the newsstands.

Such is the life of a Goodman comic from Western to Real Life Drama to War to Weird to Super-Hero.

Here's a comparison of Adam's # 8 masthead to my # 12 masthead and yes your red is vibrant! -

979834-MensAdvCompare.jpg

I was going to add comments like you did, but was just too tired after doing all the scans. smirk.gif Men's Adv, as a title, has very solid issues within each of the genre twists and turns. I've attached Men's Adv 20 below as an excellent example of war comic, but that holds true of others as well. When you talk horror, that's really a great little run from 21-26. The red of the #8 isn't picked up properly by the scanner. True primary reds and lemon yellows always seem to be somewhat less after being scanned.

979883-MensAdv20.jpg

979883-MensAdv20.jpg.bd31d263e8f5d54e7ca4ea3b8212cef7.jpg

I was going to add comments like you did, but was just too tired after doing all the scans. smirk.gif Men's Adv, as a title, has very solid issues within each of the genre twists and turns. I've attached Men's Adv 20 below as an excellent example of war comic, but that holds true of others as well. When you talk horror, that's really a great little run from 21-26. The red of the #8 isn't picked up properly by the scanner. True primary reds and lemon yellows always seem to be somewhat less after being scanned.

Gotta agree. Men's Adventures would be a nice little run (25 issues) to complete for a well-rounded taste of Atlas in the early to mid-50s. It's interesting to note that copy is clearly signed by Russ. Would he commonly sign that clearly his work at that time? It seems out of the ordinary.

Switching gears, I have been reading over more Airboys and couldn't help notice the routineness of the plots.

Airboy and his boss (and at times daughter) fly to some forsaken place on earth where disaster occured and find themselves entangled with a lost civilization be it lost Roman legion in Africa, a Chinese contingent held captive by giant white apes or as below a floating kingdom in the seas. Both will get captured and enslaved. They will lead a revolt and leave the prisoners in charge of a world they will continue to shelter from the modern world and fly away on birdie. Still very entertaining comic reading coupled with the weirdness of the Heap, all rounded by true-to-life adventure turned out by solid if not flashy artists.

Cover -

979983-AirboyAugust1950s.jpg

Splash Page -

979983-AirboyAugust1950Story1s.jpg

Here they are captured -

979983-AirboyAugust1950Story1Pages.jpg

979983-AirboyAugust1950Story1Pages.jpg.a1fa64dca06dbcd1b0e2032f987b1704.jpg

Would he commonly sign that clearly his work at that time?

Yes, both for covers and interior stories. I'm not the indexing type so I can't tell you the percentage but it was common for both his Atlas and DC work. When you're good, they let you get away with stuff that others don't.

There's a couple of pages of Heath OA in that forum. One is mine.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=979915&Main=945087#Post979915

I like the art on the Airboys. That was a nice article in AlterEgo about the writer and artist for those.

Edited by adamstrange

Very nice, Jetta thumbsup2.gif

Looks a nice copy, with fresh colors!

What do you think of the stories inside?

And now for something completely different. I like the Ziff-Davis painted covers, even if they are for a kid's comics.

980357-FairyTales11.jpg

980357-FairyTales11.jpg.4dbadae01f5d451622afb837ecfbd8dd.jpg