• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,404 posts in this topic

Just curious. Does anybody know what is the actual first atomic bomb explosion cover (with the mushroom cloud and all?)

According to Bob B. a little while ago, he stated that:

"Real Life Comics 27 (Jan, Nedor)

Science Comics #1 (Jan)

(above two tied for the first A-Bomb explosion cover?)"

Both of the books are dated Jan 1946 -

1535851-FirstAtomicCovers.jpg

If I had my pick, it'd be Science Comics # 1.

P.S.: The bottom of Science Comics got cropped. It reads: "The Exciting Story of the Atomic Bomb"

Thanks. I think the Science 1 gets the prize for having an actual mushroom cloud. I had both those issues already but didn't know if there was an earlier one, or if the publication dates were consistent. (sometimes a february and january appear on the stands at the same time -- in November)

A little less exciting than Scrooge's entry, but I do in fact have a Dodo & Frog comic that I will be reading shortly. grin.gif

ComicCalvalcade51.jpg

Great looking copy! I only have 1 humor era cavalcde so far...

I only have 2 myself. I let you know what the stories are like -- I was too tired to appreciate them last night.

ComicCalv56-1.jpg

Thanks!

An odd one. Why use sulfuric acid instead of something more innocuous?

Looks like it's scanned from an archive. What's the original reference?

Oopps. It's from Plastic Man 8 - Summer 1947 (reprinted in Archives # 7), my current bed-time reading. I remember rjpb mentioned elsewhere that the stories in volumes 4, and specifically 5 and 6 were repetitious and made for a pain to read a complete archives volume through and I tended to agree but, man, this volume # 7 is much better. Seems like Cole had a resurgence. Stories are delightfully whacky and entertaining.

Thanks!

An odd one. Why use sulfuric acid instead of something more innocuous?

Looks like it's scanned from an archive. What's the original reference?

Oopps. It's from Plastic Man 8 - Summer 1947 (reprinted in Archives # 7), my current bed-time reading. I remember rjpb mentioned elsewhere that the stories in volumes 4, and specifically 5 and 6 were repetitious and made for a pain to read a complete archives volume through and I tended to agree but, man, this volume # 7 is much better. Seems like Cole had a resurgence. Stories are delightfully whacky and entertaining.

Thanks! I'll watch for a copy of archive 7 (or a beater copy of PM 8).

Jack

Sooooo ... I got in this issue of Life Story whose cover could qualify the book for the Short Bus thread, being a Fawcett photo cover and a romance book! but as you see there is clearly a drug story inside: I Sold Drugs -

1543518-LifeStory36s.jpg

Therefore who's saying that comic became relevant with GL in the SA. Check out this page where the protagonist's sister is going into withdrawal. Her kick is morphine btw -

1543518-LifeStory36Story1Pages.jpg

1543518-LifeStory36Story1Pages.jpg.965f2b1c02fb9ab2c0aa38d0f5d61074.jpg

Great stuff!

What's going on with that background on the last panel?

Any idea who wrote or drew the story?

Jack

Sooooo ... I got in this issue of Life Story whose cover could qualify the book for the Short Bus thread, being a Fawcett photo cover and a romance book! but as you see there is clearly a drug story inside: I Sold Drugs -

Therefore who's saying that comic became relevant with GL in the SA. Check out this page where the protagonist's sister is going into withdrawal. Her kick is morphine btw -

Great stuff!

What's going on with that background on the last panel?

Any idea who wrote or drew the story?

Jack

There's definitely some Bailey art in that page.

Well don't keep us in suspense -- does the sister live or die?

The sister makes it through (of course) but the protagonist goes to jail for her help in stealing and re-selling the drugs. Not quite your typical Romance story, is it?