• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,405 posts in this topic

The crocs have alligator snouts, but I love the leopard cub.

This might generate more interest than Don Winslow crazy.gif

1225275-CaveGirl12.jpg

Yup! smile.gif

Awfully cheery colors for Magazine Entertainment. They seemed to go for the subdued look most of the time.

Awfully cheery colors for Magazine Entertainment. They seemed to go for the subdued look most of the time.

Speaking of coloring. The coloring on the Don Winslow cover, to which the scan does not do justice, is what makes it a winner with subtle gradient on the facial features which gives it a nice relief / 3D effect in hand but, alas, Don never wore zebra skin ... at least not in public blush.gif

Speaking of coloring. The coloring on the Don Winslow cover, to which the scan does not do justice, is what makes it a winner with subtle gradient on the facial features which gives it a nice relief / 3D effect in hand but, alas, Don never wore zebra skin ... at least not in public blush.gif

I thought that the Don Winslow was a very nice example of the poster-art type comic cover -- something that would look more effective from a distance when you are staring at a busy newstand.

I thought that the Don Winslow was a very nice example of the poster-art type comic cover -- something that would look more effective from a distance when you are staring at a busy newstand.

Exactly what attracted me to it! In fact, this is a chameleon of an issue because it has something to offer to everybody.

A nice poster-art cover for you and competent storytelling inside for me as showcased in this story page -

1225402-DWStoryPage.jpg

1225402-DWCapAmBillBoard.jpg.96cb1d7efb495c1b0dde0e737e5132ad.jpg

Then it has an early company cross-over with Captain America in the background on the billboard in this Fawcett panel for Norinn Radd - the Cap Am look-alike is hawking bread!

1225402-DWCapAmBillBoard.jpg

1225410-DWTimultyWantList.jpg.ecc1fdbe30f1e24a461cb844c9eb1026.jpg

and here's a low grade copy of FC 164 I picked up at the same time. I'm now only missing one early FC Bugs from my Bugs want list.

Michael, can you post some scans of the Bugs story inside? I've been wanting to see if these Bark-esque Bugs FCs are worth collecting.

Exactly what attracted me to it! In fact, this is a chameleon of an issue because it has something to offer to everybody.

A nice poster-art cover for you and competent storytelling inside for me as showcased in this story page -

1225402-DWStoryPage.jpg

I not opposed to good stories, but I had assumed that the comic was a reprint of a newspaper syndicated strip. That type of panel structure is unlikely to be from a newspaper strip -- do you know if this is an original story?

I not opposed to good stories, but I had assumed that the comic was a reprint of a newspaper syndicated strip. That type of panel structure is unlikely to be from a newspaper strip -- do you know if this is an original story?

All three stories in this book read like they were original stories prepared for the comic and not reprints at all.

Then it has an early company cross-over with Captain America in the background on the billboard in this Fawcett panel for Norinn Radd - the Cap Am look-alike is hawking bread!

I know your tongue is in cheek, but that's Commando Yank with screwed-up color and details, right?

Jack

1225402-DWCapAmBillBoard.jpg

Then a physics puzzle for Selegue with this floating Gold boat -

Great! That's from Don Winslow 43? Any idea of the credits?

Could I talk you into a full-page scan?

Aren't you scared of lowering the grade by a few tenths, taking it out of the baggie and scanning it?

Thanks for the heads-up,

Jack

1225415-DWGoldBoat.jpg