• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Guys! Can I get a grade on this Savage Tales #3? Thanks!

28 posts in this topic

Love any art by Pablo Marcos!

Still don't have a handle on how CGC deducts for bindery tears but going by the absolute beautiful shape the mag is in otherwise, I'd have to agree with 9.6 .

I have yet to hold a CGC 9.8 mag in hand to see how perfect one is, anyone know if there have been any higher Mag grades...any 9.9 or 10's yet in the registry?

Still don't have a handle on how CGC deducts for bindery tears but going by the absolute beautiful shape the mag is in otherwise, I'd have to agree with 9.6 .

I have yet to hold a CGC 9.8 mag in hand to see how perfect one is, anyone know if there have been any higher Mag grades...any 9.9 or 10's yet in the registry?

Hey J, I have seen some 9.9's they were Famous Monsters of Filmland from the late late 70's. I assume there was quite an abundance of those, especially from the Warren Wherehouse. No 10.0's yet. Though I havn't submitted any of my mag's yet... gossip.gif ...Just kidding.

I have actually seen Very High Res Scans of 9.8 Mags with 1 bindery tear. They obviously are expected with mags more as a common trait.

-bounty

Chris Bell had several of them that he put in the Heritage Auction that just ended.

9.4 White Pages confused.gif

That is what CGC gave it? You got hosed Davey, you got hosed.

No really, is that what CGC gave it?

What were the graders notes? I encourage you to post this because its very important for us to get an idea.

I will hold off my steaming until we get confirmation from you Divad.

-bounty

9.4 White Pages confused.gif

That is what CGC gave it? You got hosed Davey, you got hosed.

No really, is that what CGC gave it?

What were the graders notes? I encourage you to post this because its very important for us to get an idea.

I will hold off my steaming until we get confirmation from you Divad.

-bounty

Yes - I figured I'd wait for the books to arrive before I called them . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Definitely this has gotten me "a little" stirred up. Reason being. I was following heritages auctions quite religously. Many of CGC Mags from Chris Bell's collection. I saw a NM+ 9.6 Dracula Lives from 1974/1975, with 2 bindery corners (and they werent too small), and 2 noticable spine stress marks poke2.gif. Of course they have uber huge scans, but the spine stress marks were still color breaking.

Now with your book, I only see 1 bindery corner...and that's it. So if that is truly all that is wrong with the book, then I've got some bones to pick... makepoint.gif

-b devil.gifunty

There appears to be something going on with the top edge back cover. Right above the word coupon. If it is a bend/tear then maybe CGC's grade holds some water. Otherwise... makepoint.gif

I also agree with Aces. This book deserves at least a showing in the grading forum.

Dan

There appears to be something going on with the top edge back cover. Right above the word coupon. If it is a bend/tear then maybe CGC's grade holds some water. Otherwise... makepoint.gif

I also agree with Aces. This book deserves at least a showing in the grading forum.

Dan

Dan,

As always you are very observant. It is not a tear, but the tiniest of bends - less than 1mm of overhang that is bent, perhaps 1/4" in length. I feel that both this minute defect and the bindery nick on the top spine corner are allowable in a 9.6. These would keep it from a 9.8, IMHO.

-divad

p.s. gossip.gifThose guys in the grading forum don't know from mags 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Dan

Dan,

As always you are very observant. It is not a tear, but the tiniest of bends - less than 1mm of overhang that is bent, perhaps 1/4" in length. I feel that both this minute defect and the bindery nick on the top spine corner are allowable in a 9.6. These would keep it from a 9.8, IMHO.

-divad

p.s. gossip.gifThose guys in the grading forum don't know from mags 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Haha I dunno! I think that those Comic guys often have a more stringent eye towards books. I think you'd be safe taking the average of our grades and thier grades combined... makepoint.gif

Haha...

-bounty