• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 2: 28th - 30th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 27th to 30th  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 27th to 30th

51 posts in this topic

X-Men 4. Spidey 3 and Flash 105 for me. If you think about it, that's actually SA Flash #5. meh...

Flash #105 was the first solo book awarded in the SA. If ASM #1 is a big deal partially because Spidey got his own book, Flash #105 blazed that trail years earlier.

Totally with you on X-Men #4, pure movie hype. Same with FF #52, it's just not on this list without the movies.

If this list were actually rating importance in the SA then Flash #123 makes the top 15, with a shot at top 10. If you like this season of the Flash TV show, that is where it started, but that hype gets overlooked completely.

First solo books awarded in the DC SA were Lois Lane and the Challengers of the Unknown. However, I agree with your point about Flash 105 being a major SA key- it's not just the 5th appearance of the Flash. 1959 is a major turning point in the history of the DC SA. The first reintroduced superhero was awarded his own book when Flash 105 hit the news stands. A wave of new DC superhero titles would follow- titles that were independent of the traditional DC Superman & Batman related titles.

It is for this historical reason and not any personal preference why Flash 105 has always been the more significant when compared to the later published issue 123. Long after the superficial hype generated from the tv show has come and gone, Flash 105 will still be the major Flash key after Showcase 4.

Best,

John

You're correct that Lois and Challengers came first. As a guy who collects mostly Marvel by a wide margin I usually overlook those books and forget that history. Thanks for pointing it out.

I do think you underestimate the importance of #123 though. As the first mention of Earth 2, this book had a huge influence on the course of the DC universe up to today. One could argue that the "Rebirth" storyline can even find its origins in the concept introduced in that issue. And I don't think the value or importance should be driven by the show; what I meant was that the show's second season storyline, right down to Earth 2 being mentioned by name, goes right back to that issue and is a further piece of evidence for its lasting importance. Flash #105 is important for the Flash, and as part of the trend toward reestablishing superheroes in the SA, but #123 had a more profound impact on the direction of the entire DC universe and comics in general (and again, this is coming from a predominantly Marvel collector).

I completely agree - I don't understand how Flash 123 is left off the list of top 30 - it should be a top 15 book, it literally helped to shape the DC universe. Flash 105 is a great book and I think somewhere in the 15-20 range.

But the poll has spoken and somehow books like FF52, X-Men 4, ASM3, JIM85 etc. are now more "important" than Flash 123??? Don't get me wrong I think the poll is great, and has largely gotten it right so far, I just cannot understand Flash 123 being left off the top 30 list - it is mind boggling.

The poll has spoken to? I'm with you on this one. I'm also a Marvel guy who understands the significance of Flash 123. That said, diversity among comic books and comic book collectors has grown since the 1970s. Plenty of young people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds have joined the ranks. Marvel and DC continue diversifying their respective universes. The Black Panther is Marvel's first Black Superhero which makes it a significant SA key.

In this era of "diversity" in comic characters and story lines, the Black Panther will be the standard bearer on the racial side of things at least as Marvel continues to push him to the front of both their movie and comic book universes.

Like it or not, in the times we are in now, FF 52 is a pretty big deal , and it will only become a bigger deal.

-J.

I like it J. This has been evolving since the first great Bronze Age of Diversity when characters like Luke Cage, Black Panther, Shang Chi, Red Wolf, etc, got there own books in the 1970s. It's a reflection of the more diverse America and the Silver Age comic book market is seeing the rise of FF 52 coincide with this.

I understand the significance of the Black Panther and I personally really like the character and I do think it is a key book - but it is not more important than a book like Flash 123 which introduced the Earth II concept that formed much of DCs main story arcs in the past and still affects recent story arcs. It is a moot point, I am not railing against FF52 per se, I am just more frustrated in Flash 123 not getting its due :) If it helps, I also find it ridiculous that villain 1st appearance books (outside of FF5) are on this list ahead of Flash 123 (like ASM3, ASM14, JIM85 etc.)

First appearances are what's in demand now. Specifically first appearances of characters showing up in film, TV or netflix. Books that long time collectors see as important, including origin issues, or story or artist firsts have all taken a back seat.

Are these other books suddenly unimportant in the history of comics? No, but they aren't currently in demand like those first appearances are. I get why it might rub some the wrong way that books that were unimportant a few years ago are suddenly considered keys, while books that have long been considered keys lose interest, but that's how it is. The poll results are just confirming this new paradigm.

X-Men 4. Spidey 3 and Flash 105 for me. If you think about it, that's actually SA Flash #5. meh...

Flash #105 was the first solo book awarded in the SA. If ASM #1 is a big deal partially because Spidey got his own book, Flash #105 blazed that trail years earlier.

Totally with you on X-Men #4, pure movie hype. Same with FF #52, it's just not on this list without the movies.

If this list were actually rating importance in the SA then Flash #123 makes the top 15, with a shot at top 10. If you like this season of the Flash TV show, that is where it started, but that hype gets overlooked completely.

First solo books awarded in the DC SA were Lois Lane and the Challengers of the Unknown. However, I agree with your point about Flash 105 being a major SA key- it's not just the 5th appearance of the Flash. 1959 is a major turning point in the history of the DC SA. The first reintroduced superhero was awarded his own book when Flash 105 hit the news stands. A wave of new DC superhero titles would follow- titles that were independent of the traditional DC Superman & Batman related titles.

It is for this historical reason and not any personal preference why Flash 105 has always been the more significant when compared to the later published issue 123. Long after the superficial hype generated from the tv show has come and gone, Flash 105 will still be the major Flash key after Showcase 4.

Best,

John

You're correct that Lois and Challengers came first. As a guy who collects mostly Marvel by a wide margin I usually overlook those books and forget that history. Thanks for pointing it out.

I do think you underestimate the importance of #123 though. As the first mention of Earth 2, this book had a huge influence on the course of the DC universe up to today. One could argue that the "Rebirth" storyline can even find its origins in the concept introduced in that issue. And I don't think the value or importance should be driven by the show; what I meant was that the show's second season storyline, right down to Earth 2 being mentioned by name, goes right back to that issue and is a further piece of evidence for its lasting importance. Flash #105 is important for the Flash, and as part of the trend toward reestablishing superheroes in the SA, but #123 had a more profound impact on the direction of the entire DC universe and comics in general (and again, this is coming from a predominantly Marvel collector).

I completely agree - I don't understand how Flash 123 is left off the list of top 30 - it should be a top 15 book, it literally helped to shape the DC universe. Flash 105 is a great book and I think somewhere in the 15-20 range.

But the poll has spoken and somehow books like FF52, X-Men 4, ASM3, JIM85 etc. are now more "important" than Flash 123??? Don't get me wrong I think the poll is great, and has largely gotten it right so far, I just cannot understand Flash 123 being left off the top 30 list - it is mind boggling.

The poll has spoken to? I'm with you on this one. I'm also a Marvel guy who understands the significance of Flash 123. That said, diversity among comic books and comic book collectors has grown since the 1970s. Plenty of young people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds have joined the ranks. Marvel and DC continue diversifying their respective universes. The Black Panther is Marvel's first Black Superhero which makes it a significant SA key.

In this era of "diversity" in comic characters and story lines, the Black Panther will be the standard bearer on the racial side of things at least as Marvel continues to push him to the front of both their movie and comic book universes.

Like it or not, in the times we are in now, FF 52 is a pretty big deal , and it will only become a bigger deal.

-J.

I like it J. This has been evolving since the first great Bronze Age of Diversity when characters like Luke Cage, Black Panther, Shang Chi, Red Wolf, etc, got there own books in the 1970s. It's a reflection of the more diverse America and the Silver Age comic book market is seeing the rise of FF 52 coincide with this.

I understand the significance of the Black Panther and I personally really like the character and I do think it is a key book - but it is not more important than a book like Flash 123 which introduced the Earth II concept that formed much of DCs main story arcs in the past and still affects recent story arcs. It is a moot point, I am not railing against FF52 per se, I am just more frustrated in Flash 123 not getting its due :) If it helps, I also find it ridiculous that villain 1st appearance books (outside of FF5) are on this list ahead of Flash 123 (like ASM3, ASM14, JIM85 etc.)

There was a time when Adventure Comic 247 was the DC SA key to get. Times change when it comes to collecting interests. Flash 123 is still a great SA key. Heck, I'm waiting to see what happens to Showcase 6 when the Challengers of the Unknown movie comes out in...

Don't laugh, BB25 was an obscure dog until they announced the totally unrelated movie of the same name!

True. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks a Challengers of the Unknown movie would be a huge hit given the fact that the team has no superpowers and are on borrowed time. It could even be funny at times like Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool. lol

Comparison to poll 5 years ago:

This time:

28th= FF#52

28th= Green Lantern #1

30th X-Men #4

5 years ago:

28th JLA #1

29th ASM #3

30th Flash #123

31st ASM #50

Comparison to poll 5 years ago:

This time:

28th= FF#52

28th= Green Lantern #1

30th X-Men #4

5 years ago:

28th JLA #1

29th ASM #3

30th Flash #123

31st ASM #50

Ok, although FF52 was probably not even on the 1-30 list 5 years ago.

I thought i read somewhere that Sgt Fury #1 was the rarest Marvel silver age #1 ?

In the 'hero' genre, perhaps, but it's not even in the same ballpark of scarcity as the 1968 humor book Groovy #1.