• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLease grade my TOS 41

34 posts in this topic

it is a seller who many of us have bought from before, and is well trusted.

blush.gif

That leaves out 90% of'em! 27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Is that all miswrap showing in pj's scan

It is a miswrap in my scan, and I believe in the sellers as well. I truly think the books may be the same. Could a mangled press job have created the staple pull and misaligned the book?

That would account for the other mystery in this purchase which is that the book came in a mylar which had a label on it marking the book as a 9.2. This book was offered as an 8.5 when I bought it.

I'm sure the seller will accept a return. I'm going to press them for an explanation as well but I don't think I'll get it.

OK.. this still bugs me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How many people here think the comic in the first two scan was pressed into that condition?.... and was originally the comic in the scan that the seller had listed in the auction?

Pjthib, when viewing the comic in person... does the book look extremely flat, or (pancake like from a bad press job?) Does the area around the staple pull appear old looking?.. or are there any new tears, creases that have dirt around them?

Does it appear to have been that way for along time?

Sorry for all the questions..

Just curious...if this indeed was a press job gone bad..Could it result in things like this to the book?

Ze-

How many people here think the comic in the first two scan was pressed into that condition?.... and was originally the comic in the scan that the seller had listed in the auction?

Pjthib, when viewing the comic in person... does the book look extremely flat, or (pancake like from a bad press job?) Does the area around the staple pull appear old looking?.. or are there any new tears, creases that have dirt around them?

Does it appear to have been that way for along time?

Sorry for all the questions..

Just curious...if this indeed was a press job gone bad..Could it result in things like this to the book?

I am out of town tonight and can't look at the book. I did think that the book seemed extremely flat and my guess is that it has been pressed. I am not a pressing expert and have never had a book that I knew to be pressed (in my hands anyway, too many slabbed books puchased from Heritage in my collection for me to have any expectation of not owning any pressed books).

I emailed the seller a couple of days ago but have not heard back. I guess I will call tomorrow but have no expectations of anything except a request to return the book.

A possible chain of events that would explain all of the mysteries in this transaction goes like this:

- Seller obtains book, labels it a 9.2 and puts it in their inventory

- Seller decides to press the book. Book gets damaged.

- Seller marks the book down to an 8.5 and puts it up for sale but does not rescan the book

- Book sells

- Seller frets over what to do and doesn't ship the book until I start badgering them (I received it about 4 weeks after I mailed payment)

- I receive the book, email the before and after scans to the seller and ask if we need to start going through the insurance process or whether the book was in the current condition when they shipped it.

- Seller is in a corner and doesn't respond to my email.

Just a theory of course. Maybe it is shipping damage. The book was very well packed and this doesn't seem like the kind of damage that would occur during shipping but anything's possible I suppose.

Thanks,

Pete

My guess is that the cover was pulled tight to not show the receased staple.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think Rusty may have hit the nail on the head, as it were...

The main reason I don't think the book was pressed before being sent to the buyer is because it doesn't look like it needed any pressing, based on the scan from the auction, to be at the stated grade. Why press a VF book into a FN book unless you advertised it as NM and felt you had to try something before sending?

Pulling the cover tight before placing it on a flatbed scanner could certainly produce the effects seen in the auction scan: lack of staple pull, tighter overall look with fewer NCB creases, and far less severe miswrap.

after reading all the above, and comparing both scans in photoshop, I agree and think its the same book. The difference is that the seller scanned it with the pages pushed back into place. That eliminated both the staple separation we see in your scan; as well as the view of the interior pages that are sticking out to th eright and bottom in your scan, while looking perfectly square in his. I dont see any other distinguishing marks to go by, that fingerprint smudge looks like the same bad "black plate" printing issues on many copies of early Iron Mans Ive seem.

I first emailed the 2 scans and then spoke to the seller late last week and they related what seemed as genuine suprise and dissapointment concerning the condition of the book. In fact I had the impression that they thought I was the most likely culprit to have done damage to the book. Nevertheless, they accepted the return and the book has been sent.

I appreciate all of the contributions to the thread. I guess I'll never know for sure what happened. Since I've made some inquiries that would be damaging by association, I will leave the seller as anonymous.

Thanks,

Pete

Cmon bro....you have been more then fair.

You are not on a witchhunt.. nor have you been accusatory.

Just say where you got the book.. it is one book outa many.. and if for some reason you are worried about getting blackballed by them.... then relate that info too.

Information is the best tool we have... helps everyone here try and piece together the puzzle we go through when trying to buy a comics online.

Naming the seller will not hurt you.. but instead might spark positive changes to the way this paticular seller lists the scans in their auctions. Ya never know.

If you are indeed genuine about what you have posted here.. then naming the seller will not be looked upon as a bad thing on your part.

Ze-

Those are good points Ze. In a perfect world I would do as you ask for the reasons you state.

However, I think there is also the possibility that someone might try to turn this into a big stink against the seller, which I don't think is justified because I don't know whether any wrongdoing has occurred. I've read enough threads here to have become familiar with some users who love this kind of stuff. I neither understand their motiviations or agree with their behavior and I am not going to set this seller up for them.

If anyone wants to know more, they can PM me and I will probably be willing to discuss this in greater detail with them.

Thanks again.

Pete