• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick start a silver age collection: start BIG or small? :-)
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Contact Josh at ComicLink (he is the owner) that is where I purchased mine he is very well known and very honest. Tell him what you are looking for and he will help you find it (if he can because just like baseball cards simply having the money does not mean that a nice copy of what you want is up for sale at the exact same time). His prices are very reasonable. Tell him the page quality your looking for and that you are looking for minimal chipping. Do not settle for anything less than that....do not say well hell I must rush so I will buy one with a lot of chipping on the front cover or one that has Cream Pages (some people are OK with this page quality but a lot prefer better quality).

Link:

http://www.comiclink.com/

Josh's extension is #101.

Thanks a lot. I will do that down the road.

Contact Josh at ComicLink (he is the owner) that is where I purchased mine he is very well known and very honest. Tell him what you are looking for and he will help you find it (if he can because just like baseball cards simply having the money does not mean that a nice copy of what you want is up for sale at the exact same time). His prices are very reasonable. Tell him the page quality your looking for and that you are looking for minimal chipping. Do not settle for anything less than that....do not say well hell I must rush so I will buy one with a lot of chipping on the front cover or one that has Cream Pages (some people are OK with this page quality but a lot prefer better quality).

Link:

http://www.comiclink.com/

Josh's extension is #101.

Thanks a lot. I will do that down the road.

Better start now because it may take a while before Josh can locate the exact copy you are happy with....could be weeks, months or over a year. And with Spidey now in all sorts of movies (for example the new Captain America movie) and will be joining the Avengers team in is in extreme demand.

There is a lot of competition on nice looking AF15's. I have been following AF15's for about a year now and I have not seen many nice looking ones.....actually very few!! I mean in the CGC 4.0 to CGC 6.5 ranges.

Most people who own a nice AF15 are simply not selling them they know they are only increasing in value and love Spidey (for the most part).

Edited by Hulk1962

If this was not about AF15 or Hulk 1 I would say take your time and make sure you buy what you like. But with those 2 books even waiting 2 or 3 years you are going to pay a lot more than you will pay today. But as mentioned above that does not mean to settle for just any copy.

This is a lot of money so get it right the 1st time!!

Edited by Hulk1962

Always buy the CGC grader's notes before spending big money on a book to make sure there is nothing majororly wrong inside the book.

Rusted staples for many is a big no no (I would never buy a book with a one or two rusted staples not even the smallest amount of it...it will get worse over time and I have seen some horror stories with books been totally damaged over years due to the rust progressing).

Link to CGC grader's notes (but always ask the seller if they can see any kind of rust at all...people like Heritage Auctions and Josh ant ComicLink will have their experts try to see if there is any....some times they can't see either staple because they are now pushed into the book I stay away from that I hate uncertainty when spending a lot of money):

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx

Also make sure you have a safety deposit box that can fit your books (ahead of time would be best) and that the safe has air circulation (climate controlled) even at night (most banks do not have this option it is not the end of the world) when the vault is closed and make sure the safety deposit box if not fire proof (this is important....the vault must be fire proof but not the safety deposit boxes themselves). These are all bad things. Home safes are not recommended.

There is a lot to think about before collecting expensive comics this is not like sports cards at all.

Buy a few CGC Pro Slabs to protect you CGC cases they are fragile and once there is a crack it will get worse. Here is a link to buy them on Ebay (they are the only seller than can sell them). Make sure you ask for silver age ones but even silver age CGC slabs can be bigger like the those for the golden age comics so buy a few of each. Put it on your CGC case then put it in a vault do not stack them without it the weight will crack the bottom CGC case (s)....trust me I have tried with cheaper books to test it out.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3PACK-SLAB-PRO-BLUE-CGC-PGX-CBCS-Graded-Case-Protector-Superman-Comic-Books-/301960984166?hash=item464e46f666:g:rssAAOSwZ1lWdPm4

I would not put more than 2 books per safety deposit box (even with the Pro Slabs). The more expensive book on top of the lower priced one.

Edited by Hulk1962

I would echo what a lot of other folks are saying - start small. Get a good sense of the kind of things you like and don't like about books.

To that end, you would probably be well-served by making your way to decent-sized convention. I don't think there's any substitute for seeing a lot of books in person. You probably won't find the exact book you're looking for, but you'll learn a lot by looking at a lot of books. It'll also help you evaluate scans when you're looking at books on the web.

I realize that getting to a show probably isn't the easiest thing for you. But if you're considering dropping the money for an AF #15 someday, it'll be worth the time and expense.

Thing is AF15's are going up in value the more he waits the more he will pay!!

Could very well be. But better to pay $5000 more later than make a $20-30K mistake now.

You are totally right. But what kind of mistake could be worth $20-30 K if someone buys a CGC Universal from a reputable seller at a price in accordance with GPA? This is an honest and genuine question.

As you mentioned in your original post, there are all sorts of attributes a book can have beyond the number grade and page quality. Some books present exceptionally well for the grade. And others look really ugly for the grade. I think your tastes develop as you're exposed to more and more books. Over the years, I've "upgraded" from one 9.6 to another with the same page quality more times than I can remember. That's not a big deal for some books, but for a five figure book, it can be a very costly endeavor.

If you're looking for an AF #15 in the 4.0 to 5.5 range, you can afford to be patient. There are literally hundreds out there already and more on the way.

As you mentioned in your original post, there are all sorts of attributes a book can have beyond the number grade and page quality. Some books present exceptionally well for the grade. And others look really ugly for the grade. I think your tastes develop as you're exposed to more and more books. Over the years, I've "upgraded" from one 9.6 to another with the same page quality more times than I can remember. That's not a big deal for some books, but for a five figure book, it can be a very costly endeavor.

If you're looking for an AF #15 in the 4.0 to 5.5 range, you can afford to be patient. There are literally hundreds out there already and more on the way.

Point taken, thanks a lot. I realise that AF15 is a valuable, important and sought-after book with great demand but not rare. One thing I have worked up during my collecting years is my patience and taming my impulsivity. This is a virtue that pays off down the road. I will continue saving up my comic budget, doing my research, seeing and examining as many scanned issues as possible, networking and when the time is right I guess it will feel right. Reading the AF15 and other key-issues threads here is probably the best resource available on-line by the way. So much information, knowledge, insights and material to study and learn from.

Always buy the CGC grader's notes before spending big money on a book to make sure there is nothing majororly wrong inside the book.

Rusted staples for many is a big no no (I would never buy a book with a one or two rusted staples not even the smallest amount of it...it will get worse over time and I have seen some horror stories with books been totally damaged over years due to the rust progressing).

Link to CGC grader's notes (but always ask the seller if they can see any kind of rust at all...people like Heritage Auctions and Josh ant ComicLink will have their experts try to see if there is any....some times they can't see either staple because they are now pushed into the book I stay away from that I hate uncertainty when spending a lot of money):

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx

Also make sure you have a safety deposit box that can fit your books (ahead of time would be best) and that the safe has air circulation (climate controlled) even at night (most banks do not have this option it is not the end of the world) when the vault is closed and make sure the safety deposit box if not fire proof (this is important....the vault must be fire proof but not the safety deposit boxes themselves). These are all bad things. Home safes are not recommended.

There is a lot to think about before collecting expensive comics this is not like sports cards at all.

Buy a few CGC Pro Slabs to protect you CGC cases they are fragile and once there is a crack it will get worse. Here is a link to buy them on Ebay (they are the only seller than can sell them). Make sure you ask for silver age ones but even silver age CGC slabs can be bigger like the those for the golden age comics so buy a few of each. Put it on your CGC case then put it in a vault do not stack them without it the weight will crack the bottom CGC case (s)....trust me I have tried with cheaper books to test it out.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3PACK-SLAB-PRO-BLUE-CGC-PGX-CBCS-Graded-Case-Protector-Superman-Comic-Books-/301960984166?hash=item464e46f666:g:rssAAOSwZ1lWdPm4

I would not put more than 2 books per safety deposit box (even with the Pro Slabs). The more expensive book on top of the lower priced one.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I am aware how storing and preserving a high-end collection is a vital part of the collecting hobby, and your tips are very helpful.

Hulk1962's list is undoubtedly 100% accurate. There really is no debate about the top ten books from the SA. It gets a bit trickier when thinking of the "next ten."

I suggest considering a couple of important books that are undervalued in my opinion: Daredevil # 1 and Showcase # 8 (2nd Barry Allen/1st Captain Cold). Both books are difficult to find in high grade and should be in the conversation for the "next ten" after the top ten. Food for thought.

One of the advantages of starting small is to learn what defects you tolerate

and which drive you nuts every time you look at them. I would advice buying a few cheaper keys first in the grade(s) you are looking for and then starting the hunt for the big one. Spending a few (2-4) months is probably enough learning.

Hopefully even an AF15 won't appreciate too much in that time.

A very sincere thank you to each and everyone who contributed with all this very interesting information and insights in my first thread in the forums. I have already bookmarked this thread and I will use much of the info as reference in my starting comic collecting journey.

Happy collecting to all of you!

If you love Spider-Man, a good book to start with before chasing the mega keys would be ASM50. It's a key book, classic cover, but won't break the bank.

Yes, #50 its an iconic issue and cover, I love it. To begin with, I plan however to stick with Lee / Ditko issues and go for some of those wonderful villains first appearances (#1, #2, #3, #4, #6, #14 and #20). Issue #13, with the first appearance of Mysterio is also a personal favourite, both as a story and as a cover (I am a psychiatrist, and the line "Ever see a comic mag super-hero take his troubles to a psychiatrist? You will now!" really talks to me, lol).

Keys first (which is great on a title like ASM where, basically, the first 20 issues are keys). Then the fillers.

I made the "mistake" when I got back in going for quantity over quality. I have some really nice books because of it but, in hindsight, would do it differently.

All those cool books I picked up at my first B'more con (for a grand total of around $800) are nice, but I could've bought an AF15 for that at the time.

I was referring to quality in general terms of investment / collecting value, not referring to the quality of the art or plot of a key book vs another. In the same way I would prefer to own one single, lets say, ASM #4 CGC 8.0 than 4 copies of the same book as CGC 1.5.

Soooo.... I started this topic over a year ago and I thought it would be cool to post a short update as a follow-up, just in case anyone is interested! :smile:

I did choose to pick up an AF 15 as the first piece of my collection. I haven't regretted this since I managed to grab a decent copy without MC, writing or rust for a price that was a slightly above GPA then. I would probably choose to go for a better page quality now (my copy is CR-OW) but on the other hand if I waited some more months I would end up into the after-the-crazy-price-bump side of the timeline and I would most probably need to settle for a lower grade copy or not get a copy at all. 

After that, I really tested my self-discipline and tried to stay as strictly as possible inside the boundaries of my original list. I managed that surprisingly well even though I did add a couple of Bronze Age books that I really like but wasn't planning on getting from the right beginning. 

I continued to move my card collection which really was (and still is) a time-consuming task. I listed cards weekly on eBay, consigned or sold directly. Listing, packing and shipping became my hobby lol. I managed however to keep a steady input in the collecting budget that kept me in the game and gave me the chance to grab books from my list when the right ones for me surfaced. 

Meanwhile, I continued reading more or less everything posted here, followed the auctions in the big sites and kept me updated about the market. I came to appreciate even more the stories and the art from the SA by reading mostly omnibuses. I learned a lot from these boards and I got to meet some really nice collectors and dealers. I even met a couple of very kind and helpful dealers in real life despite the fact that I live in Sweden. I attended my first big con in London recently and even some nice comic shops in San Diego during a trip there some months ago. 

This period ended up with the books in the following group shot (and a small bunch of other raw books mainly SA spidies).

Whats next? hm I would still love to add an Avengers 1, an Avengers 4 and a Daredevil 1. Probably a ST110 and a Sgt. Fury 1 as well. I really love early ASMs and some day I would love to complete at least a 1-75 run, probably mid-range raw books. I may also add some selected DC keys and I dream of owning at least one OA piece from one of the big names of the era. Maybe very few selected issues from other eras too (maybe an IH181 or a TMNT 1?). This should keep me busy for some years I guess :grin:.

That became a loooong post but sometimes is nice to look back for a minute than just looking anxiously forward to the next acquisition. Keep enjoying your collections guys, they are truly inspiring. (thumbsu

IMG_3760.jpg

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

Soooo.... I started this topic over a year ago and I thought it would be cool to post a short update as a follow-up, just in case anyone is interested! :smile:

I did choose to pick up an AF 15 as the first piece of my collection. I haven't regretted this since I managed to grab a decent copy without MC, writing or rust for a price that was a slightly above GPA then. I would probably choose to go for a better page quality now (my copy is CR-OW) but on the other hand if I waited some more months I would end up into the after-the-crazy-price-bump side of the timeline and I would most probably need to settle for a lower grade copy or not get a copy at all. 

After that, I really tested my self-discipline and tried to stay as strictly as possible inside the boundaries of my original list. I managed that surprisingly well even though I did add a couple of Bronze Age books that I really like but wasn't planning on getting from the right beginning. 

I continued to move my card collection which really was (and still is) a time-consuming task. I listed cards weekly on eBay, consigned or sold directly. Listing, packing and shipping became my hobby lol. I managed however to keep a steady input in the collecting budget that kept me in the game and gave me the chance to grab books from my list when the right ones for me surfaced. 

Meanwhile, I continued reading more or less everything posted here, followed the auctions in the big sites and kept me updated about the market. I came to appreciate even more the stories and the art from the SA by reading mostly omnibuses. I learned a lot from these boards and I got to meet some really nice collectors and dealers. I even met a couple of very kind and helpful dealers in real life despite the fact that I live in Sweden. I attended my first big con in London recently and even some nice comic shops in San Diego during a trip there some months ago. 

This period ended up with the books in the following group shot (and a small bunch of other raw books mainly SA spidies).

Whats next? hm I would still love to add an Avengers 1, an Avengers 4 and a Daredevil 1. Probably a ST110 and a Sgt. Fury 1 as well. I really love early ASMs and some day I would love to complete at least a 1-75 run, probably mid-range raw books. I may also add some selected DC keys and I dream of owning at least one OA piece from one of the big names of the era. Maybe very few selected issues from other eras too (maybe an IH181 or a TMNT 1?). This should keep me busy for some years I guess :grin:.

That became a loooong post but sometimes is nice to look back for a minute than just looking anxiously forward to the next acquisition. Keep enjoying your collections guys, they are truly inspiring. (thumbsu

IMG_3760.jpg

Based on the group shot, I'd say you did pretty well! Where were your go to places to find books?

8 minutes ago, piper said:

Based on the group shot, I'd say you did pretty well! Where were your go to places to find books?

Thanks!

I have been following the most of the auction houses and major sites but the majority was actually purchased here in the boards (six of them). My X-Men 1 was from eBay, my AF and ASM1 both from Graham Crackers Comics and the two Bronze Age books both from physical stores (the Conan from an awesome LCS in Cyprus and the Luke Cage from Southern California Comics in SD).