• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a market for promo material?

10 posts in this topic

I was surprised that a recent for sale thread of 90s promo posters didn't seem to gain any traction.

I've a couple of boxes of 80s promo posters and giveaways I've been planning to sell.

Is the market dead for these?

I was surprised that a recent for sale thread of 90s promo posters didn't seem to gain any traction.

I've a couple of boxes of 80s promo posters and giveaways I've been planning to sell.

I would say these are not the types of things that are probably not bought here on the boards for the purpose of resale. They're not easy to display for sale or transport or ship, unless they were some type of super poster dealer, in which case they'd probably be buying at wholesale prices. So that cuts out a whole segment of the potential market that normally might consider buying something here.

Then for your actual buyer, you'd need to find a buyer who:

1. Likes the poster more than other posters they could buy.

2. Wants to display the poster (nobody is buying a poster from the 80's TODAY to store for future use).

3. Has room to display the poster, but doesn't already have something else displayed there.

4. Is willing to pay the price plus shipping for that poster.

5. Or wants to give the poster to someone else as a gift.

While many of us grew up in the 80's and 90's I'm not sure the posters or art qualify as 'classic' or 'collectible' to most people, unless there's something very special about them.

LCS's would be better off generally using posters that promote current books they're trying to sell.

So I think its tough...Though I would say if you presented the posters all nice and framed up they'd probably sell better (even if you sold it without the frame, just to show an example), but that would also be more effort and time.

I would think it depends on the book/artist

Absoloutely - I've previously sold promo's (posters, displays, leaflets, stickers, badges etc) for significant sums -

Miracleman, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, DKR, Sandman, 2000AD

many very hard to find now as not saved...

I spent the whole time going through that thread wishing that the materials was from about 5-6 years earlier. So the stuff you have is much more interesting that the stuff from '89-93 or whatever.

Other than OA, this is the only thing I am still collecting. I am slowly selling off my comics, but I am keeping my beloved pre-1990 posters and promos. They fall under that cheap-but-rare category. I have some kooky items.

I kind of ran out of steam collecting them, because I haven't seen anything I don't already have in a long while. The one or two I am missing are just priced too high on ebay.

When I started with this category, I found the best way price-wise was to buy in bulk lots from dealers who ended up with piles of this stuff. Now, I have to cherry-pick.

One of the biggest downsides to collecting posters -- folded or rolled -- is that most ebayers have no clue how to ship them. One ding and... repeating wrinkle.

But the early 80s are the sweet spot. The direct market was just getting going and these are a fun window into that time... and much rarer than the comics themselves!