• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROTTEN TOMATOES IS WORTHLESS

15 posts in this topic

You do understand that Rotten Tomatoes does not actually rate movies. Basically all they do is read a review call it generally positive or generally negative and put that in the score. So basically every review is boiled down to a simple plus one or minus one. I know they do not count every reviewer out there, but most mainstream movies get generally over 200 reviews, so it is broad based. It is a simple aggregate. It may be more accurate if they broadened the criteria to be something like very positive, positive, neutral, negative, and very negative. But when you have a fairly large sample size, I am not sure how that would affect score.

With any site that tracks 100's of reviews if you dig deeper into a piece they are usually more nuanced, but they have chosen to simplify it. Any individual person or reviewer can feel very different about an individual film, and that looks like what is happening here. The OP disagrees with the majority or trend of most critics, that is all these review compilation sites give us is trends. So go over a look at Metacritic if you like. Right now they give X-Men a 52, BvS a 44, and FF a 27. That seems to track fairly closely to RT for all of those movies.

X Men Apoc: 47 % ROTTEN

B v S : 27% ROTTEN

Fantastic Four: 9% ROTTEN

All 3 movies well deserving of better ratings. Im done with RT

If you're "done with Rotten Tomatoes" what you're actually saying is that you're "done with all movie critics" since all they do is compile reviews from movie critics.

When you see low scores like this keep in mind it's just a thumbs up/thumbs down rating and instead look at the Rotten Tomatoes overall quality score. For those three movies the quality ratings are X-Men 5.9 out of 10, BvS 4.9 out of 10, and FF 3.4 out of 10. Or you if you want to use percentages, then 59%, 49%, and 34%.

It's amazing how many people don't understand what RT actually is.

Or the other rating sites. This came from an article written by the founder of Rotten Tomatoes comparing to the other rating tools.

Internet Movie Database (IMDb): The numerical rating is based off of votes from users on a 1-10 star scale. The ratings are then normalized using a bayesian filtering formula that strips out "outlier" overly negative or positive ratings since IMDb has to deal with "spam" votes with it's open registration system.

Rotten Tomatoes: While Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster offers user-voting - "Tomatometer" - the primary rating vehicle is a measure of the number of "FRESH" reviews as a percentage of overall reviews. The reviews counted into the Tomatometer is from a discrete list of selected critics/publications that remains uniform across the whole site (usually professional, but always prescreened based off of specific criteria including the requirement to have reviewed at least 100 films over the recent two years).

Metacritic: The Metascore is not a percentage: it's a weighted average of scores from top critics, normalized on a scale from 0 to 100. Which critics? A prestigious group of 30-50 writers from the most recognizable names in the industry (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Sun-Times, etc.). Metacritic editors must convert critics' scores to fit their model, with some methods more controversial than others.

X Men Apoc: 47 % ROTTEN

B v S : 27% ROTTEN

Fantastic Four: 9% ROTTEN

All 3 movies well deserving of better ratings. Im done with RT

If you're "done with Rotten Tomatoes" what you're actually saying is that you're "done with all movie critics" since all they do is compile reviews from movie critics.

When you see low scores like this keep in mind it's just a thumbs up/thumbs down rating and instead look at the Rotten Tomatoes overall quality score. For those three movies the quality ratings are X-Men 5.9 out of 10, BvS 4.9 out of 10, and FF 3.4 out of 10. Or you if you want to use percentages, then 59%, 49%, and 34%.

Which again falls fairly close to other sites like Metacritic.

I'm done with trying to use and understand data in context.

I don't understand why I have to eat 47 tomatoes before watching xmen, but that must be what the ratings system means, since there's no other possible explanation....good thing I love tomatoes

I don't understand why I have to eat 47 tomatoes before watching xmen, but that must be what the ratings system means, since there's no other possible explanation....good thing I love tomatoes

lol

Slice them in half, sprinkle salt, pepper and some garlic on them. Then put some shredded or preferably sliced cheese of your choice on top. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so.