• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The market for copper/modern Comics

14 posts in this topic

Is it impossible to sell anything from 1980 to present besides key issues. I am collecting 3 series from 1981-1994. The selection around the web is great but the prices confuse me. While on my search for comics i ran into an old lady trying to sell off all her comics a couple thousand comics. So I'm trying to help her sell them but people only offer maybe 50 cents a copy but yet when i go to buy online these same books run for 8 or 9 dollars. So i don't know if I'm doing this wrong or I just won't be able to sell these.

That's other part it doesn't seem anyone reads them anymore it just seems like they are trying to flip the books for profit or the one I have isn't perfect condition in a box that you can't read.

That's other part it doesn't seem anyone reads them anymore it just seems like they are trying to flip the books for profit or the one I have isn't perfect condition in a box that you can't read.

Not entirely true. Even flippers tend to read their books. When grading correctly, you need to at least review for completeness and interior defects. Invariably, you read the story, or find one that really stands out for some reason, and either put that book away in your own collection or . . . double the price. :devil:

But still, chances are you read many more than a lot of people. :)

It's unlikely you'll be able to help the old lady, before her collection gets cherry-picked by low flying sharks. :grin:

Is it impossible to sell anything from 1980 to present besides key issues. I am collecting 3 series from 1981-1994. The selection around the web is great but the prices confuse me. While on my search for comics i ran into an old lady trying to sell off all her comics a couple thousand comics. So I'm trying to help her sell them but people only offer maybe 50 cents a copy but yet when i go to buy online these same books run for 8 or 9 dollars. So i don't know if I'm doing this wrong or I just won't be able to sell these.

What series are you looking for?

And, BTW, your first sentence is just wrong.

Title and issue numbers of "these same books run for $8.00 or $9.00 dollars."

80's books? Early Wolverines, Amazing Spideys, Bats, 'Tecs all guide there, and are probably offered on MCS and Mile High at that. Not necessarily the best reference for sales data... anyone want to explain?

If all I'm missing to finish my run of Amazing Super-Guy is issue 388, I have to hope that I luck across a copy at a con (might be too low end) or a store (may not have consistent stock in those years). If I can't find one in the wild, and have to have it now, I have to pay a premium to the dealer who makes it his business to have stuff like that. ready for sale.

Now to the buyers. I need a few issues of Amazing Super-Guy. The one I'm missing is worth $5, but you want to bundle more together. I won't pay for the ones I don't need, so if I have to take them, I'll pay $5 for the one I need, and a quarter apiece for the ones I don't. The less books I need, the lower the per-book ratio I'm paying. Thousands of books? Plenty I don't want to pay for.

ASM, Hulk and X-Men 1981-1994. So it's a tough game to get in to. :)

What are you looking for? Readers or 9.8 candidates?

If you're only looking for raw 9.8's, that might explain the price point. If you're just looking for run fillers in the F-VF/NM range, you should be able to get the books cheaper than that.

So I'm trying to help her sell them but people only offer maybe 50 cents a copy but yet when i go to buy online these same books run for 8 or 9 dollars. So i don't know if I'm doing this wrong or I just won't be able to sell these.

One thing that people often get wrong is that they see books for sale for $8 or $9, and starting talking about the value at $8 or $9, but those books aren't sold yet.

The "going rate" is whatever price the books are actually "going" (sold) for... not what price they're "sitting", unsold.

If no one is buying for $8 or $9, then that number is clearly too high. Possibly $7.50 to $8.50 too high.