• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinner Racks

65 posts in this topic

As someone suggested, we probably should consolidate all of these various "spinner" discussions from over the years into a single thread. But in the meantime...here, once again, is a short video of my vintage '70s spinner actually...y'know...spinning:

:grin:

I have a small part time shop, usually only open on weekends. I really dig vintage displays. I recently picked up a classics illustrated display and looks cool in the shop. I want to get some more of the regular vintage ones but still looking. Was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on this one. The topper sign has pretty advanced rust on it. Should I leave it alone or sand and re-spray? Don't want to mess with patina of the item.

jilwyw.jpg

wbf52d.jpg

3169pb8.jpg

I had a link to it over here:

3rd post down

and although the replies werent too enthusiastic, Moondog claimed that he wasnt aware of this rack

I was the former president of that company and I never saw one of these. Must have been a distributor project.

I think I saw these at the a dealer exhibition in Philly, around 1993/94.

There was a company selling racks and wire shelving..They had racks with different headers.

I think they were only samples, not sure what headers the racks would come with if ordered.

Yours might be a sample.

When I was moving last month, I came across a blueprint this company did for me at the show.

As someone suggested, we probably should consolidate all of these various "spinner" discussions from over the years into a single thread. But in the meantime...here, once again, is a short video of my vintage '70s spinner actually...y'know...spinning:

Honestly....something about that takes me back and I'm 10 years old at the drug store trying to pick the two comics my mom will let me get. I am right back there when I look at that video.

Honestly....something about that takes me back and I'm 10 years old at the drug store trying to pick the two comics my mom will let me get. I am right back there when I look at that video.

Me too. :)

I am totally buying one on Amazon. I never find one here. I'll see if MetalPsi wants to make a topper.

I agree. That is an awesome video!

My spinner doesn't spin that well, I am now wondering if I am missing something, like a bearing that goes under the rack on the stand part?

Here is my rack, It currently has my Marvel Value Stamp collection in it:

001_zpscge1mizc.jpg

Before that it had some of my Planet Comics run in it:

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

I used to use them at comic shows.

ClobBoothC_zps04712ec4.jpg

And lastly, my no spinner standing rack. I love this rack for it's fold up characteristic:

020_zps24b31fe8.jpg

021_zps7fc97acb.jpg

I agree. That is an awesome video!

My spinner doesn't spin that well, I am now wondering if I am missing something, like a bearing that goes under the rack on the stand part?

Yes you need one of these

Torrington_M.jpg

It's called a Torrington Bearing.

It's very similar to bearings used in auto transmissions.

If you get me the inside and outside diameter of the center post of your spinner rack I can have my nephew put one together for you from the spare parts he has from building his drag car. He said he's got enough parts to take care of that for me.

Is there money in actually making these things to sell?

Like full-on fabrication from the ground up? Probably not. Between time/energy, component supplies, and it not being "original", I'd think you'd probably break even at best. You can buy a "new" one (without the classic toppers, it's just a blank topper) on Amazon for $80. So unless you can source the toppers, you'd have to beat that price to really compete.

i always thought it would be cool to make a modern one, like out of clear acrylic, maybe a tinted acrylic with lighting and stuff, el light topper, built to fit slabs or mags or manga or whatever. Make a couple different sizes

Several good ideas there.

Love the idea of something different....acrylic and the EL topper.

A slab sized spinner would be something I think people would dig.

Maybe even a half-height, table top spinner....to get the nostalgia of the look but it becomes something that can be shipped more easily.

Did he say table top RACK Bevis? I have a bunch of vintage comic book racks. Here's a nice table top with proper period comics in it.

dccomicrack_zpsdcskj5pg.jpg

There you are, Robot Man ... I was wondering when you'd pop up and show your table top comic book rack. Thanks for sharing, how many vintage comic book racks you have now?

From your last sentence ... did they actually had vintage table top (or counter top) comic book racks? I'm sure they are even less common than the floor spinner racks!

I think I have 4 comic racks and one topper. I also have a Little Golden Book wall rack. My favorite is a 1950's Dell wooden standing rack. I no longer have a full size spinner just this table top from late '50s which certainly does exist. Only table top I've seen. Kind of cool because it is much more displayable.

Me too. :)

I am totally buying one on Amazon. I never find one here. I'll see if MetalPsi wants to make a topper.

I'd be interested. By looking at the pics, I'm still confused as to how the topper slots into the top, if it's just a post supported in the middle or ties in all around.

Some really cool stuff, guys! :)

Artboy, Comix is correct, the bearing should be near the bottom, where the most weight is distributed. If there is no bearing, I have a feeling its a post in post, where the bottom slots into the top post and should be lubricated to spin. If there is a bearing, it's either right on top of the feet, or could be underneath the feet, tied on with a nut and washer of some sort.

I am totally speculating, I've never given much thought to spinner racks before and I haven't bothered to look it up online....yet lol

I'd rather see more personal racks here ;)

Here is how the topper attaches to the top of the spinner. It's just folded over metal.

DA820E70-A63B-47D1-9E5B-9A3FA80A5CAF_zpst0fieatp.jpg

As for the bearing? The center post is a completely independent piece from the actual rack portion. The rack lifts straight up off the post. Below the rack (still sitting on the center post), is what looks like a small disc. The disc also is independent. When you take it off, you find out it's actually 3 pieces. There's a top & bottom disc & a ring of bearings sandwiched between them. There's a small channel in the 2 discs (they're mirror images of each other) that the bearing ring sits in. That bearing ring is just a ring with small ball bearings that sit in that channel & get sandwiched down. Then the bottom disc sits on a little bit of a lip on the center post (sometimes) or right at the bottom of the post, above the stand. The top disc carries the weight of the whole rack portion on it. When you spin it, the bottom disc remains stationary, as does the top one with the bearings being the only thing moving. That old squeak noise are just oxidized bearings & metal on metal squealing.

Here's some pics of my 5 sided spinner. I've had this for a while now and just had a bit of cleaning up to do on it. It has the same bearings as described above. When I took the rack off the base to clean it, I found an old lollipop stick some kid threw in there ages ago! lol

Comic%20Rack2%20low_zps2gvxqxzk.jpg

Comic%20Rack3%20low_zpsga2w9tl2.jpg

Keep on coming, folks! We could learn a few things about these racks.

I got one question about one rack by the photo below. I knew that rack well as it was part of my childhood times when I brought new comics off the rack. I had seen it often at the local drug store on corner, near to where I used lived in the old house.

The question is, when did it first entered into market for stores to use it? Many in here from older threads had said was from late '60s to mid '70s. Seems no one knows the exact year? And I had seen a few similar racks with different stands, some have round heavy base in black, some have three-prong legs in black or white. Some were made of thick wire as its stand. I had been wondering if the stands were of different year by year but the main rack is same in all years?

Guess I asked more than one question... lol but I do out of curiosity for history.

heykids.jpg

Mine has a 4 legged base and I believe you are right. I'm pretty sure that the base design changed over the years of manufacture. Comicwiz might be able to shed more detailed info on this. :wishluck:

Jayman, is your spinner rack like this?

7a996c85.jpg

Yes. With the only exception that the base and center pole are chrome and only the wire rack is painted grey.

Is there money in actually making these things to sell?

Like full-on fabrication from the ground up? Probably not. Between time/energy, component supplies, and it not being "original", I'd think you'd probably break even at best. You can buy a "new" one (without the classic toppers, it's just a blank topper) on Amazon for $80. So unless you can source the toppers, you'd have to beat that price to really compete.

i always thought it would be cool to make a modern one, like out of clear acrylic, maybe a tinted acrylic with lighting and stuff, el light topper, built to fit slabs or mags or manga or whatever. Make a couple different sizes

Is that what you guys have in mind? Found this online and while it is for "digest size" type, i think is possible to find a small rack to fit comics or slabs. Nothing vintage but is a cool copy for your vendor table or your comic book room.

img_1151.jpg