• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

general eBay question

11 posts in this topic

Hi all! I posted the following on the Comicart-l on Yahoo and didn't get an overwhelming response, other than a suggestion to try something I have already tried a few times, so I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas.

Hi all! I have a general eBay question:

I listed an item and specified only U.S. shipping. If I change my mind and want to allow international shipping (and thereby international bids), do I need to end the auction and relist the item, or is it possible to modify that aspect of the auction without ending it? It seems like you can't do that without ending the item, if there are already bids on the item.

Thanks, Lee

I listed an item and specified only U.S. shipping. If I change my mind and want to allow international shipping (and thereby international bids), do I need to end the auction and relist the item, or is it possible to modify that aspect of the auction without ending it? It seems like you can't do that without ending the item, if there are already bids on the item.

Thanks, Lee

You can change it by clicking the option that says "revise item," but only if you have no bids on it already. If you do, then you'll have to cancel the bids, end the auction, and relist it. There's no other options there.

Whoops, maybe I'm not. I'll just add some general follow-up questions for anyone who cares:

Do you regular eBay sellers always open your auctions to international bidders? I used to, but I hate to charge so much for shipping, and it is slightly more of a hassle to ship overseas. But do you think original art sellers miss out on some big bids by not allowing international bidders, or do you think it doesn't make that big of a difference?

Thanks, Lee

Do you regular eBay sellers always open your auctions to international bidders? I used to, but I hate to charge so much for shipping, and it is slightly more of a hassle to ship overseas. But do you think original art sellers miss out on some big bids by not allowing international bidders, or do you think it doesn't make that big of a difference?

Thanks, Lee

I used to do international sales through eBay until they started their own Global Shipping Program, which you have to opt out of. Basically, they allow you to collect shipping from the buyer for an amount that sends it to their processing center in the US. Then they contact the buyer and charge them again, for the full shipping to them. It's really a scam. It might make it a bit easier for sellers, not to deal with the paperwork of international buyers, but I can't abide a buyer getting charged twice. So, I no longer do international sales through eBay. And won't until they end that practice. International buyers can just contact me directly through my CAF gallery (which is linked below in my signature), to order any art I have. I'll give them a square deal on shipping, unlike eBay.

As for if it makes a difference in the bottom line, well, sure a little, but not as much as one might expect (at least in my experience). Like I said, they can always contact me directly to buy. I don't have a problem with the added paperwork and all. But with the turmoil in Europe now, with the EU and all, I don't think very many international buyers are worried about buying up some comic art, as they were in years past.

Just my view on things. Hope it helps.

Unless you are a regular seller who knows how to sell internationally, it would seem to be a pain and maybe not worth it (at least for me it's not worth it)

Just an example but . . .

I'm a very irregular seller on Ebay (no OA, just sketch cards or chase cards) and an Australian bidder won an auction earlier this year. What a pain! The people at the post office gave me conflicting info, I had to repackage the cards and change the way I was sending them, the shipping cost estimate I gave was therefore off, etc. And even though there was tracking, there actually wasn't regular tracking - every time I tracked it electronically all it said was "Not available, in transit to Australia" (or something similar)--so I had to call USPS every few days to get an update. Then once it goes to Australia, USPS has to rely on the Australian mail service for info to be reported back and of course there are big delays--in fact USPS had to put in a claim since they couldn't figure out where the package was once it hit Melbourne. Also, maybe because of the time difference, the buyer was a real pain to get a hold of.

Even if it's leaving some money on the table, I won't be shipping internationally again.

Thanks Daren! Those are helpful insights. I agree that it is a hassle to ship internationally. I have had luck using an USPS express option that seems pretty trackable and may (or may not) require a signature, but that costs at least $50 extra, last I checked.

Regardless, I think I will end up taking down one of my auctions to try to revise the description to allow for international shipping, and hope for the best. Best, Lee

Unless you are a regular seller who knows how to sell internationally, it would seem to be a pain and maybe not worth it (at least for me it's not worth it)

Just an example but . . .

I'm a very irregular seller on Ebay (no OA, just sketch cards or chase cards) and an Australian bidder won an auction earlier this year. What a pain! The people at the post office gave me conflicting info, I had to repackage the cards and change the way I was sending them, the shipping cost estimate I gave was therefore off, etc. And even though there was tracking, there actually wasn't regular tracking - every time I tracked it electronically all it said was "Not available, in transit to Australia" (or something similar)--so I had to call USPS every few days to get an update. Then once it goes to Australia, USPS has to rely on the Australian mail service for info to be reported back and of course there are big delays--in fact USPS had to put in a claim since they couldn't figure out where the package was once it hit Melbourne. Also, maybe because of the time difference, the buyer was a real pain to get a hold of.

Even if it's leaving some money on the table, I won't be shipping internationally again.

My very first deal on these boards was from a guy who inquired about a JRJR DD page I mentioned. I had never even shipped a comic before, but had to get OA to Australia! Luckily, everything worked out great, but it was a learning experience!