• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 238: Direct vs Newstand Tattooz?

41 posts in this topic

I thought the tattootz didn't matter anymore since folks were pulling them out of other cheap comics sold that month and inserting them into the ASMs.

Yeah, the latest guide lists the same values for with or without tattoos because of people taking them from FF #252 and putting them in ASM 238. I have no clue though. I think you can still sell it for more on eBay with the tattoos than without.

It is my understanding that the ASM 238 Direct Editions(Spidey head in box on cover) were sold with the Lakeside Tattooz insert in them. Were all newstand editions(UPC code in box on cover) sold without the insert?

Thanks!

My copy in a Marvel Multi-Mags three pack purchased at the supermarket did not come with Tatooz, though the cover said that it would.

I don't see how people can get them from the FF and put them in the ASM. Its in an envelope thats attached to the book, so wouldn't it be a easy thing to spot?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Envelope? I guess it could be considered an envelope. The tattoos are enclosed ... but, its stapled in like a regular insert always is. With the tattoo package following the last page, and the tab at the front of the book before the first page.

They probably unstaple the books, take the tattoo insert, and restaple the ASM 238's back together. confused-smiley-013.gif Only way I can figure.

My question is ... did EVERY copy of 238 at one time contain the tattoos? Because if some did not, I would think they'd have ot change the cover so that there was no advertisement for the tattooz on the cover confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, so it appears as if, based on GoodyRickles post, that the newstand editions did have the tattooz insert. Or, perhaps they did not, but the multi-pack copies, even though thay had a UPC code in the box, did. Allow me to ask a new question that is more specific to my interest. Could a Canadian($.75 cover price) newstand edition(UPC code in box on cover) copy have been sold that did NOT have the insert? I presume that the Canadian direct edition did but do not have proof. Again, cn anyone verify that the Canadian newstand edition had the inserts?

As far as I know, the Canadian edition was no different. It still had the "Lakeside Tattooz" logo on the front cover.

Right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think there's really any difference. According to ComicsPriceGuide.com, the book is worth about $90 with or without the tattoos, including the canadian edition.

According to ComicsPriceGuide.com, the book is worth about $90 with or without the tattoos, including the canadian edition.

What *exactly* does OS state about this? The actual tattoos I can understand, assuming the envelope and cardboard insert are intact. Plus, you could then remove the tattoos from another comic and then slap them into the ASM. All of thi sassumes that the envelope has been carefully opened, and everything else is pristine.

But if someone has ripped or cut out the cardboard insert, I cannot see how that could be an equivalent valuation to a complete copy.

According to ComicsPriceGuide.com, the book is worth about $90 with or without the tattoos, including the canadian edition.

What *exactly* does OS state about this? The actual tattoos I can understand, assuming the envelope and cardboard insert are intact. Plus, you could then remove the tattoos from another comic and then slap them into the ASM. All of thi sassumes that the envelope has been carefully opened, and everything else is pristine.

But if someone has ripped or cut out the cardboard insert, I cannot see how that could be an equivalent valuation to a complete copy.

Because of the fact that the tattooz could be removed from one book and put in another, OS gives just one value for both with/without the insert.

According to my calculations and very brief research, there are 8 types, if you include Canadian editions.

US Newstand w/ tattooz

US Newstand w/o tatooz

US Direct w/ tatooz

US Direct w/ tatooz

Canadian Newstand w/ tatooz

Canadian Newstand w/o tatooz

Canadian Direct w/ tattooz

Canadian Direct w/o tattooz

And I believe the ones w/o tatooz were printed that way, even though the tattooz advertisement is on the cover. If anyone can prove me incorrect, please do.

According to my calculations and very brief research, there are 8 types, if you include Canadian editions.

US Newstand w/ tattooz

US Newstand w/o tatooz

US Direct w/ tatooz

US Direct w/ tatooz

Canadian Newstand w/ tatooz

Canadian Newstand w/o tatooz

Canadian Direct w/ tattooz

Canadian Direct w/o tattooz

And I believe the ones w/o tatooz were printed that way, even though the tattooz advertisement is on the cover. If anyone can prove me incorrect, please do.

Wow, that's interesting. Personally I never even knew there were Direct and Newsstand editions. I didn't think they differentiated between the two until the 90's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Good stuff.

Because of the fact that the tattooz could be removed from one book and put in another, OS gives just one value for both with/without the insert.

Please read my above post again, slowly. I am talking about four scenarios:

1) Tattoos intact (original)

2) Tattoos present (envelope opened and replaced)

3) Tattoos removed (envelope open and empty)

4) Tattoos Cardboard Insert removed or significantly damaged

It is the last one I hope is covered somewhere in OS, as there is no way a book with the entire insert removed or ripped apart could ever be brought up to par, without a Restoration label from CGC (for removing staples or paper seals). So how could anyone say the values are equivalent?

Do you understand what I am saying?

Are you sure there are BOTH US and Canadian Direct copies? I thought Marvel had already switched to an one-size-fits-all format with the US/CAN/UK prices on the cover.

You might want to check it out to be sure.

Please read my above post again, slowly. I am talking about four scenarios:

1) Tattoos intact (original)

2) Tattoos present (envelope opened and replaced)

3) Tattoos removed (envelope open and empty)

4) Tattoos Cardboard Insert removed or significantly damaged

It is the last one I hope is covered somewhere in OS, as there is no way a book with the entire insert removed or ripped apart could ever be brought up to par, without a Restoration label from CGC (for removing staples or paper seals). So how could anyone say the values are equivalent?

Do you understand what I am saying?

I know what you're asking. This is about what OS states exactly: Some books did not come with the tattoos, but people have removed them from FF 252 and placed them in the book, so only one price is given, representing the book WITH or W/O the tattooz.

I know it's confusing, but to be honest, I've looked at 3 different sources for prices and there really isn't any significant difference. They don't make any reference in OS or any source about the tattooz being "ripped" out and damaging the insert. confused-smiley-013.gif