• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

While buying comics...

37 posts in this topic

3. If its someone I recognize in an auction, I will not bid against him/her, even if I want the book.

Used to do that but realized that I've let too many good books pass at a much too low of a price. Now, I just snipe so I don't care. I have promised not to bid on certain books because another forum member said that they were going to bid on it but they don't so screw it. poke2.gif

Gotta agree here. I don't even look at the prior bidders anymore...

Jim

1.) Don't get into bidding wars against another determined buyer. Although it does make me feel better to have them spend more than what they want to on that book. devil.gif

4.) Pick dealers that can grade and stick with them. If something looks too good to be true, 99% of the time it is.

I like both of those. I think there is a piece of human nature that makes me want something someone else wants just a little more than if there wasnt a bidding war. maybe that's why some higher priced items in demand get so much attention with a low starting bid. Once I start bidding I have to really try to remember it's not really about a competion I win it's about a comic I am buying Nothing I am buying is so rare that I can't wait till there isnt another determined buyer or three.

I just sold an accurately graded VG- copy of Jungle Comics #115 on Ebay. I was expecting around $25 (which is around 2/3 of the OS guide value). However, two people got into a bidding war and the book sold for $78. foreheadslap.gif

I actually felt bad because the buyer completely overpaid. However, when I remembered how many times I've done the same thing, I forgot about it.

Now, I just snipe so I don't care

...or get another stooge to bid for you... 27_laughing.gif

And you are such a fine one! flowerred.gif

I have a habit of getting into bidding wars. Tend to overpay on comics every now and then (hence why i stick to milehigh comics alot) shy.gif

You go with Mile High so you overpay every time? Well at least you get an overgraded book to go along with it.

1) Know what you are primarily looking for and maintain your list as you go.

2) Have a secondary or even tertiary list of things that are of interest and maintain those lists as you go.

3) Realize most books will appear again so do not go insano unless really really warranted.

4) Carefully examine the book - inside and out. Do a page count. Look for restoration. Check for interior defects. Insure it meets your criteria.

5) Be polite and friendly.

6) Carefully examine the book - inside and out. Do a page count. Look for restoration. Check for interior defects. Insure it meets your criteria.

1. Don't get caught up in a hype............

2. If somebody says that a book is a good buy then it is already too late......

3. I like to buy things that are unusual or one off (production art).......

4. Cover art before all else..........

5. There is no guarantee in guaranteeing a book................

I ask these questions:

1. If I buy this book, will it be labeled "a symbol of the upcoming crash" by J_C?

2. Will I receive nasty emails from people saying "You are such a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying that, I can't believe you did that, what a waste of money"?

3. Will I get emails saying "Speculators like you are ruining the hobby!"?

4. Will somebody say "What an assraping!" about my purchase?

5. Will it make the "CGC Hall of Shame"?

If the answer to any of these questions is YES, then it is a definite purchase, because every time a question is answered yes, you've done well.

"You are ruining the hobby!" = "You out bid me!"

crazy.gif