• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage not at the major cons

22 posts in this topic

Did I miss something? Looks like all the big Heritage auctions this year are in Dallas. No San Diego or Chicago con auctions. Were they cut because their auctions were getting too diluted?

*sigh* Wish i lived in the states. When im older me and my girlfriend are going to move to florida and open up a comic book and a pet shop (comic books mines, pets hers) and before you smart alecs say anything no i will not mix the comics with the animals *slap*

There are several reasons:

The dealers get mad at us, because they say we are taking money out of the room.

Also, the prices are not all that different then when we have them here, and there is the added expensed of taking them on the road. A majority of the bids are on the internet, or the phone.

We are having the next auction in New York, but there is no show involved.

The dealers get mad at us, because they say we are taking money out of the room.

Also, the prices are not all that different then when we have them here, and there is the added expensed of taking them on the road. A majority of the bids are on the internet, or the phone.

Now, does that mean NY residents have to pay Sales Tax?

Seems like that would be a drawback.

You only have to pay sales if you pick up the books in person. If you have them shipped to you, you avoid sales tax, although you do pay for shipping that way.

I noticed this as well. It was actually disappointing not seeing them at least set-up for San Diego. I really enjoyed the schedule where the auctions would begin at the end of the day. I also enjoyed that catered food thumbsup2.gif

Well, hope they reconsider at least San Diego.

You only have to pay sales if you pick up the books in person. If you have them shipped to you, you avoid sales tax, although you do pay for shipping that way.

Not true, if the auction takes place in NY and you live in NY - you pay taxes whether you are at the auction or bidding on the net.

Unless you live about 20 miles away from Heritage like I do, then you have to pay sales tax AND shipping(if you don't pick up the book in person).

Hard for me to bid on anything because of this.

Not that I am a huge Heritage consignor but there is no reason a promoter should allow a auction house to run auctions at a con. Why would or should I pay to rent tables and consign to a auction house at the same venue? I would basically be paying to compete against my own books. Not a smart business move if you ask me. And there are always people who say "I can't buy that book, I'm bidding on some books tonight". Ok, no sale.

You should come to DC. We feel slighted.

Not that I am a huge Heritage consignor but there is no reason a promoter should allow a auction house to run auctions at a con. Why would or should I pay to rent tables and consign to a auction house at the same venue? I would basically be paying to compete against my own books. Not a smart business move if you ask me. And there are always people who say "I can't buy that book, I'm bidding on some books tonight". Ok, no sale.

I totally agree, I never understood why any promoter would even consider allowing an auction house like Heritage to run auctions at a show. Sell comics in a traditonal sales format, promote your auction, and accept consignments- but that is it. Even discounting what you say about competing against your own books, it is bad business for the other dealers for many reasons, as you stated "I can't buy that book, I'm bidding on some books tonight." The big auction houses have their own marketing and infrastructure to sell and a convention enviroment is not one of them.

I totally agree, I never understood why any promoter would even consider allowing an auction house like Heritage to run auctions at a show. Sell comics in a traditonal sales format, promote your auction, and accept consignments- but that is it. Even discounting what you say about competing against your own books, it is bad business for the other dealers for many reasons, as you stated "I can't buy that book, I'm bidding on some books tonight." The big auction houses have their own marketing and infrastructure to sell and a convention enviroment is not one of them.

Movitation for a promotor: One of the old standbys: $$$$

Heritage pays to be the official auctioneer. They've been running major auctions at the coin shows for years and seem to be doing okay so there's no reason they might not start up again at Comic Cons.

Not true, if the auction takes place in NY and you live in NY - you pay taxes whether you are at the auction or bidding on the net.

Then you got hosed by Heritage, because in San Diego unless you were picking up your books in person you did not pay sales tax. There were a lot of guys that had their books shipped to their home and address in California instead of paying their sales tax.

Then you got hosed by Heritage, because in San Diego unless you were picking up your books in person you did not pay sales tax. There were a lot of guys that had their books shipped to their home and address in California instead of paying their sales tax.

screwy.gif

screwy.gif
What a lame avatar. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif
popcorn.gif

screwy.gif
popcorn.gif

How prevalent is prostitution in Vancouver? confused-smiley-013.gif

screwy.gif
popcorn.gif

Why? You coming up here to work again? makepoint.gif

screwy.gif
popcorn.gif

Why? You coming up here to work again? makepoint.gif

Made quite a bit of money when I was there. Apparently your government doesn't care who works there. foreheadslap.gif