• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New CGC inner well and questions .......

52 posts in this topic

Just got this today. I like the new inner well CGC uses (its EXACTLY like what PGX has been using for a while).

No chance of dinging up a corner or edge in this one.

sb13cgc1.jpg

sb13cgc2.jpg

QUESTION: Will CGC by any chance be offering a reslabbing of books in the older holders at a reduced rate?

foreheadslap.gif

Sorry Hobby.. we been there already.

Post 1975 books can get this holder.

(P.S. Tell Supergirl to mix in a Big Mac or fries.)

foreheadslap.gif

Duh. I realize that, but since they changed the inner well, they should offer some type of re-slab at a reduced cost. foreheadslap.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Duh. I realize that, but since they changed the inner well, they should offer some type of re-slab at a reduced cost. foreheadslap.gif

I guess you can crack out a book and send it back in to have re-certified.

CGC slabs aren't long-term storage options anyway.

Then why have a book slabbed, ever? Not everyone agrees with the notion that slabs are not good for long term storage. Does anyone have an example to show of the "bad" things that can happen to a book being in a slab for an extended period of time? Without proof, there is no justification.

Does anyone have an example to show of the "bad" things that can happen to a book being in a slab for an extended period of time? Without proof, there is no justification.

Hobgoblin.. I am not trying to pik on you.. but are you serious?

What about all the SCS threads?

If a book is slabbed.. A majority of them will more then likely have a long, and well traveled life .. being mailed many times over.

And some, depending on the type of comic in the slab.. might receive post slabbing damage .

Even CGC admits to some minor SCS happening due to rough handling.

Ze-

Then why have a book slabbed, ever?

For an objective third party grade and restoration check? confused-smiley-013.gif Or in the case of the book you posted, a great way to [#@$%!!!] away $20? Take your pick, they both seem like good reasons to me.

What about all the SCS threads?

If a book is slabbed.. A majority of them will more then likely have a long, and well traveled life .. being mailed many times over.

And some, depending on the type of comic in the slab.. might receive post slabbing damage .

Even CGC admits to some minor SCS happening due to rough handling.

Ze-

If you're a collector, and you have your books slabbed to keep. When are they going to mailed over and over again other than to get to CGC and back? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Besides, in these new inner wells, SCS shouldn't be as much of an issue. That was the point of changing them.

If you're a collector, and you have your books slabbed to keep. When are they going to mailed over and over again other than to get to CGC and back? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Besides, in these new inner wells, SCS shouldn't be as much of an issue. That was the point of changing them.

Well you asked if anyone had any proof the CGC holder was causing comics any damage.. so I answered.

I imagine a large % of books submitted to CGC are slabbed with selling them as the main motivation.

And then bought.. and resold again. After 5 years.. many CGC books will be very well traveled, and of those books.. some will recieve damage. Not all, but some.

If you only wanted to keep the books you slab.. well then that is your perogative, Moderns do not really need a resto check, so that is not a reason to slab. So I cannot really see why you would want to slab them, if you do not want to try and sell them for a profit.

Also the newer books do not lend themselves to being damaged nearly as easily as the fragile old books. So re holdering Moderns is not something I would consider that important.

I am not here to re hash this topic again, or argue the point with you.

If you like slabbed moderns.. more power to ya.. to each his own.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

For an objective third party grade and restoration check? confused-smiley-013.gif Or in the case of the book you posted, a great way to [#@$%!!!] away $20? Take your pick, they both seem like good reasons to me.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

obvious.jpg

Ze - Yeah, I'm not intentionally picking on you either. I know about SCS, but that will be much less of an issue with the new holders. And if the books aren't being shipped all over the world, it won't get damaged that way. I was wondering about other issues simply caused by the book being sealed away. I haven't seen proof of that type of damage.

As for money reasons, Yeah it costs $20 per book. But it looks nice, and its sometimes just a good feeling to have a 9.8 copy of a book up on your shelf. If you don't care that it costs you $20 per book, what's wrong with doing it to preserve a book?

I also slab my books to keep. Seriously though, a lot of things can happen to a book if it's left raw as well (tape pull, books leaning on each other even if they're in mylars, friggin USPS envelope being bent in half even though it's in between two thick boards, etc. I feel a lot safer handling my $500 plus books if they're in a CGC holder, since I'm such a cluts.

Then why have a book slabbed, ever?

I paid $15 for the S/B #13 I posted ... including shipping costs. Not too worried about that.

And even if I have a HG modern that most people deem worthless, I'm not overly concerned by the $20 it costs to slab. It's sometimes worth it just to have it look nice on the shelf. poke2.gif

As for money reasons, Yeah it costs $20 per book. But it looks nice, and its sometimes just a good feeling to have a 9.8 copy of a book up on your shelf. If you don't care that it costs you $20 per book, what's wrong with doing it to preserve a book?

There's nothing wrong with you doing it, I personally wouldn't, but I don't care if you want to.

OG - I personally don't care what you think of me doing it, or what you think of doing it. Ze just implied that it's stupid to have books slabbed unless you're going to flip them, and I wanted to know why? If you're a collector, and don't care about the $$, then why is it stupid?